How to be a good squad member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to be a good squad member

Ok with the other threads such as Fk's excellent Sl thread I thought I'd post one about how to be a good Squad Member, based on my experiences as an SL and a good/sometimes not so good SM.

Getting started

- Announce yourself on joining the squad and do a very quick mic check.

- Hold spawn. Critical. Do not randomly spawn at a firebase or at main.

- Wait for the SL to acknowledge you and then if not already told ask what kit the SL needs and where he would like you to spawn.

- If your new to PR, say so, you will get help. People generally like helping new players.

- Don't take a requestable kit without asking. They are not MW2 unlocks, they are not inherently better than the rifleman kit. They are task specific equipment. If you are not designated to carry out that specific task you may not need that specific kit.

Movement and contact

- Check your fire condition with your SL, are you free to fire, only to fire when fired upon etc. This is critical as half hour of cautious movement can be undone in a moment of "I have a gun and I am going to stand up and shoot it loud and proud".

- Cover your sector. Even if your SL hasn't designated you an area to cover or a fire sector take a look around. Where are the gaps in coverage? Is your rear covered? Is someone watching East? Find an area that is not covered and watch your squad mate's backs.

- Be disciplined on comms but don't be afraid to speak. When engaging, identify your target and confirm when it is down. This isn't bragging, this is intel. It let's your SL know which targets are eliminated in which areas and allows him to focus on the remaining threats (plus it is a bit braggy and sounds cool)!

Relay information quickly, accurately and concisely, the Sl may have other comms ongoing. If he does not immediately acknowledge you, wait, don't assume he has not heard you or is ignoring you. Only repeat the message if the threat is immediate, as in pulling his bayonet our of your back when you are behind the SL.

General comms guidelines

- When the Sl is chatting freely, join in, get to know people, have a laugh. When the Sl says, "Hold Comms", "Break", "Wait one" or "Silence Earthlings" stop talking immediately, mid word if necessary. Let the SL deal with his additional comms and process the information and formulate his plan. Be patient, you will be able to chat later.

- Mumble usage and the wandering SM. If you are in a squad, be in that squad. Do not wander off and freelance as an appendage to another squad because you can talk to them on mumble. In doing that you are leaving your actual squad a man short, worse still if you are a medic.

- If you are running medic, realise your importance to the squad and the fact that it is not a rifleman kit with extra bandages, this ain't BC2. You literally are life and death for your squad and the difference between success and failure. You are the second most important kit in the squad, in bad times the most important. Treat the role with respect and give it 100%.

- If you want to use a requestable kit, ask. The Sl may be able to find a use for you in that role but don't pester him about it. He isn't denying you the chance to shoot the giant rocket gun because he just wants to spoil your fun, there may be a genuine reason.

General stuff

- If you have a question about the plan or a particular tactic, ask, but ask at the right time.
    -If you are under fire and the SL seems preoccupied, don't be offended, it's because your SL is preoccupied with being shot at. It will hopefully pass and you can chinwag after.
    - If you have had a good round, say so. Your SL will love to hear that you enjoyed yourself and will appreciate the feedback.

- Lastly if your SL says he is going for a smoke or to get more ice for his drink, make absolutely no comment whatsoever, at all. That's your best policy on that one, trust me.

Re: How to be a good squad member

excellent.
    Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

Great post Wicks, I'd have +1'd you if I had it to give :)

|

Comment

Awesome post Wicks!

"Silence Earthlings!" LOL

Comment

bloody good

some nice general pointers there which if adhered to would make a lot more peoples game enjoyable

I'd also like to thank all those that served in 49 Para/Cmdo Bde/Rifles tonight, couldn't have asked for better SMs hoped you enjoyed.

Now i'm going on a TAB whose with me?
          AnimalMother
          Ex TG-31st LR
          "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
          sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Good post wicks just think you missed one important bit.

Tell your SL what you're doing. If you need to revive some tell the SL you are going it, if you go off 50 m in the other direction to heal a blue guy tell the SL you are doing it, if you run out to flank the enemy tell the SL you are doing it.

If this doesn't conflict with the SL's plan he will usually let you do it but if he says no then stop doing it.
            If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Thanks fellas, that was a JD inspired straight draft. Please add all the stuff I undoubtedly missed lol. Hopefully we can expand it a bit and I'll redraft a more finished version with all your contributions. Maybe I'll go on to the kits and squad play next, obviously infantry only.

Comment

A good rule for the medic - If your SL is British then you must be no more than 6 paces from him with bandaids on standby, and god help you if you don't have his favorite cartoon character.

Comment

Good post, thanks.
                  sigpic

Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers
                  "Cum bellum clamavit, respondivi"

Comment

Originally posted by A.WICKENS View Post
                    - Lastly if your SL says he is going for a smoke or to get more ice for his drink, make absolutely no comment whatsoever, at all. That's your best policy on that one, trust me.
                    I dont even wait for a response any more.

"BLANK is in charge im gonna try and get cancer"

jump in the 3rd seat of the truck or prone in a fox hole.

Headphones off, its BLANK;s problem now
                    doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

If you can make a good impersonation of Arnold Scwarziniagahghgerer, Do it. All round.
                      Skud

Comment

Lastly if your SL says he is going for a smoke or to get more ice for his drink, make absolutely no comment whatsoever, at all. That's your best policy on that one, trust me.
                        The most important note.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

For a 'Draft' that was damn impressive. I can't think of anything else I wouldn't provide as a long winded introduction to a player new to PR. Very nice job.
                          Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                          A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

great post wickens! absolutely excellent.

Comment

Good post Wickens!!!!
                              sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X