Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More run and gun than I originally thought?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More run and gun than I originally thought?

I just started playing about a month ago and this game is an absolute blast. However, in the beginning I was very cautious as I learned the game and I tried to behave very slow and methodical, following the guides advice about kneeling/proning and waiting X amount of seconds for maximum accuracy, picking off guys from a distance, moving slow and looking at every corner for contacts, etc.

Now that I'm getting better at the game, I'm actually doing better with a more run and gun style. I always role with the squad, but when encountering contacts, rather than camping or staying back and peering out from a tree or around a corner (or whatever) to take contacts down, I'm doing better staying on the move. I'll flank, retreat if necessary and come in another way, rush in using cover/smoke, throw some nades or fire to suppress them and then move or flank in, or in close range I'll just hold down the trigger and charge at them with my gun firing like a madman - seems to take people off their guard - surprisingly with these tactics I'm doing much better than my previous slow/cautious approach. I never purposefully said "Let me try playing like this" but instead noticed I was getting more kills and surviving more often when situationally forced to play this way. This morning I logged out at 7-2 with 6 caches left to go. I've often been, not always, in the top 10 with a 2:1 or better kill ratio, which was unheard of for me in regular BF2/2142/BFBC2.

Anyone else find the same style works for them? I guess you can describe it as aggressive, or run and gun.

None of this applies if I'm the squad's Medic.

I definitely DO NOT forget teamwork - please don't take this post the wrong way - I stick with my squad and my priorities are completely focused on my team/squadmates, but when it comes down to killing or being killed - when confronted with relatively close contacts and you know where they are - sitting back and picking them off only seems to get me killed.

Thoughts?

Re: More run and gun than I originally thought?

for insugency, run and gun IS the best way because insurgents cannot win on range. Best thing is to get close, get personal, get IED's and boom!

On other maps, personally I like to continue with the carefulk approach with all units keeping an eyes out

Comment

I think its just my play style, but for me too I find getting up close and from a different angle helps me and the squad a lot better than staying back behind a wall or window shooting.
      |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

I find the more aggressive I am the better I do. Its especially true on maps like yamalia where its easy to sneak up on people.

Comment

Indeed. The squad with 1 or 2 dedicated flankers will have an edge in a firefight. Too often a firefight results in tunnel vision directly to the enemy bearing. 2 flankers, 1 on each side will absolutely blindside the opponent with bonus of reducing the effectiveness of enemy fire. I guess its as close to a force multiplier as you're going to get when its just the 6 of you on patrol.
          Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
          A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

It's a replacement for proper firing techniques.
            You can run n gun, or you can sit n shoot. Shoot a lot. People don't like being shot at, and they sit still longer for you to employ your killing blow of choice (Have your marksman take him out? Lob a grenade just behind his cover?).

Players simply stop shooting after a while and wait for a perfect killing shot, rather than firing to keep them the @#$% down. When you get them to keep shooting, you are better off.

Comment

Every squad should have one or two members ready for close-quarter combat. Too many people rely on grabbing a scoped rifle, sitting back and picking people off at range. That's part of the tunnel vision that traps squads. Ironsight or aimpoints are great for the run-and-gun and the close-range flankers. Especially in urban settings, where often an enemy will appear around a corner nearby or on a balcony above you and you don't have time to zoom in before laying down fire.
              |TG-6th|Belhade
              "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

It really depends. If you are up against a good squad, they are in cover and can eventually neutralize the zerg rushers, if you are up against the kind of squad who lost a medic because he requested a snip0r rifle, then yes it works pretty well.

On Barracuda for example I requested a marksman rifle, took the high ground and took any troops under fire who rushed out and tried to confront my approaching team, which ducked for cover having a hard time figuring out where the shots came from. Them taking marksmanfire all the time made them fall back to airport pretty quickly, which we overran.

Also what celestial said, put out rounds.

Comment

no one tactic works by itself :) constantly rubber band between long range and fast close attacks and you shall keep the enemy off balance, preventing them from manouvring around you.

its all about the initiative, you can make a helms deep and wait for the enemy, which can work, or you can can fix, flank and finish your enemies :P

it really does work, it just requires a bit of communication and flexibility - since the enemy sometimes is trying to do the same to you, its never a completely tidy affair :)

and ofc its different on each map, e.g. I'd run from rock to rock on Kozelsk, but I'd get a APC transport over open ground on Kashan.

Comment

I get TK'ed half the time during what would be a successful run and gun.

"Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"

Comment

That's my style right there. I strain at the lease to get permission to go. There are a few guys at TG notable for this style, Wickens, Cougar etc, up close and personal with speed and aggression they are hard to beat. Only suits some people however.

Comment

You can and should mix styles within the squad as said before. If you have a couple of chaps with great combat awareness and movement who can shoot and scoot then these are your assaulter's. If you can find a few more who are better suited to the longer range stuff and follow instructions, these are your fire support group. Give them an AR or UGL and get them to put fire directly onto your enemy whilst you deploy your assault team to flank, "release the dogs" as it were. As SL get your FSG to pour fire onto your hopefully fixed target and continue to act as spotter, placing markers or verbally directing the FSG on target, just absolutely rake them them with fire. Fix your opponent in place as best you can and keep his head down, mess with his situational awareness.

Once your assault team has got into position, hopefully unseen, you can even consider a little smoke on target at the point the assaulters will attack from.

When you are ready, have your assaulters go in. If there are any retreating survivors give your assault team a limit of exploitation, i.e. a point at which they will advance no further. It's a good idea to sometimes designate the kill zone as this temporarily to prevent revives. Depending on the exfiltration route chosen by your enemy you now have 2 fixed position FSG's able to put fire onto a retreating enemy, hopefully killing every last one of them. Once you have cleansed the area as best you can you can then leapfrog your original FSG to a new position, et voila, you have seized the area.

Once kills are confirmed move out of the kill-zone and set up over-watch and wait for your opponent to try and retake the original kill zone (most people can't resist the lure of revenge). You will now hopefully get your second bite of the cherry, possibly with your opponent revealing to you his point of origin, i.e FOB and allowing you to kill any reinforcements too.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X