Mumble, should it be required?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mumble, should it be required?

"The goal of Project Reality is to mimic real life combat in as close of a manner as possible in a computer game while still keeping game play fun. At TacticalGamer, we emphasize playing the game using real-world tactics and realistic game play. As such, we disallow activities on the server that are contrary to this goal and will remove players abusing aspects of the game or gaming engine that do not follow this guideline."

So would anyone really be opposed to having mumble a requirement for the server? During password nights it shows that the community supports mumble with great numbers in mumble, but during normal play the number are some what sad at times and the game play suffers trying to communicate with non users.

I really dont see any negative aspect of Mumble, unless your computer cant use it for whatever reason. It helps teamwork, promotes realism, and overall gives you a better gaming experience. TG is one of the premier servers of PR and I think if the community pushed mumble it would cause more people to give it a try. As far as I can remember Mumble is already included in the PR download as of the most recent update, there really isnt an excuse to not have it.

edit: A strongly worded suggestion to join mumble could be added to the rules when they initially scroll upon joining the server. I would be happy with that too, ha.
    Last edited by ankyle62; 06-29-2010, 04:30 PM.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Re: Mumble, should it be required?

I would be so happy if this was to happen. Although it wont for various reason.

Comment

I think everyone can agree that i've pushed mumble as the best 3rd party communication tool for the average PR player more than most, if more than anyone.

But encouraging people to use mumble is superior to forcing people to use it. Forcing people to use it gives people a bad vibe, some people cant use it due to technical issues, some people just prefer teamspeak.

Mumble nights are much better, everyone who comes wants to use mumble and work together.

-1 on this suggestion mate, I love it when mumble users are around but forcing people to use mumble would cause more accusations of elitist attitudes than PR already has, and would look bad for TG as a result.

This question should be revisited when and if mumble .6 is released

Comment

I disagree with it being required, but i would like to see non-supporting members not on mumble being kicked first by the SM kick, then mumble users. Anything to encourage the use of it.
        I do think it should be mandatory on password nights though, just like TS was.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
          I would be so happy if this was to happen. Although it wont for various reason.
          yeah i agree, logistically it would be a pain in the ass to enforce.

maybe even just some strongly worded suggestions that scroll with the rules when you join the server.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

I really dont see any negative aspect of Mumble, unless your computer cant use it for whatever reason.
            I can already feel the arguments coming your way. Anti-Mumble players will say that being able to hear your surroundings is more important that being able to talk to everyone. Stop yacking to each other in mumble, shut up and follow the chain of command ect ect.

We've all heard that before.

But armor assets, cas, infantry SL's, commanders, trans and logistics all benifet so much from mumble.
            IMO, if you are running anything more than an infantry squad, that it should be policy to have the SL in mumble.

There are people who abuse mumble that cause others to hate using it. But it's not the programs fault. It really come down to personal accountability. TG standards are built on that simple foundation. Each player is responsible for not breaking the rules of the TG primer. And Members are encouraged to help non TG players adhere to the rules by addressing the issues as they come about in game.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Originally posted by TomKing View Post
              I can already feel the arguments coming your way. Anti-Mumble players will say that being able to hear your surroundings is more important that being able to talk to everyone. Stop yacking to each other in mumble, shut up and follow the chain of command ect ect.
              1. never haad problems listening to surroundings. even if u do there is a simple "mute" u can use.
              2.mumble does absolutely nothing to the chain of command. if anything it helps it.

Comment

My two cents: no, no, and no.
                TG's policy is, and has always been, that we will never require anyone to use specific software to participate in a game so long as they can communicate. Even though TS was pseudo-required for password nights in the past, using it was not. You only had to have TS to get the password, which wasnt given out by anyone in particular, but posted in the channel, so it wasnt effective because people were just telling their friends anyway.

Also, there is no way to tell who is or is not on mumble, so the idea that people who arent get the first boot when the server is full just isnt possible.

Now, in addition to all of that, there have been and continue to be a boatload of technical issues with mumble. Some people just dont like it. I'm chief amongst those. We've been using TS for years and never had a problem with it that wasnt solved by an admin telling people to shut up. In addition to that, we also have in-game voip and chat. So why would I want to add in a third comms program that is lawless babbling 90% of the time and offers me far less control and customization options than what i'm used to? Cause it has positional comms? Color me unimpressed.

Also, we have had players in the community in the past who were hearing impaired. Some of them were excellent players who communicated very effectively using chat alone. Would you cut them out of the loop because using voice communication is impossible for them?

So what would you do in those first cases? Prevent people from playing if they have technical issues or choose not to use the program? Like I said, its our standing policy not to require the use of specific programs and it should remain that way for good cause.

Bottom line: if you like mumble, fine, use it. But dont try and push it on those that dont like it or cant use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                  In addition to that, we also have in-game voip and chat. So why would I want to add in a third comms program that is lawless babbling 90% of the time and offers me far less control and customization options than what i'm used to? Cause it has positional comms? Color me unimpressed.
                  1.game voip is restricted to your sqd and chat takes time and by the time u type it and the player reads it, that taking into account that he even sees it, it might already be too late or outdated.
                  2.nothing to do with posititional audio. its because u can talk to people next to you if something comes up and u need quick help or assistence. again by the time u type it, it might be too late.

most key point here is. TG strives for realism and right now it dsnt get anymore "real" than mumble.

note, i am not in support of pushing or forcing people to use mumble. but if everyone used mumble i would be a happy camper. ESPECIALLY the sqd leaders

Comment

One of the least appealing aspects of MUMBLE is the way its most devout fans try to ram it down people's throats. Mumble has great functionality but it is not required at TG and there are no plans, that I am aware of, for this ever to change. Can we be very clear about this, USE OF VOIP is not required on the TG PR server, only the ability to hear and follow orders.

If you want to attract people to mumble and convince them of its merits, perhaps ensure that the comms behaviour is of the highest standard, that the maturity level is what we expect and that therefore it is a no brainer for people to use.

Mumble does not guarantee teamwork nor does it equate to victory simply because you are using it. The reason that winning teams have a high proportion of mumble users quite often is because these players Teamswitch to get on the team with the most mumble players. Often these players are experienced and have been playing PR at TG for a long time. Hence this team fills up with experienced players who also have the added benefit of an additional 3rd party comms system. The other team is then comprised of inexperienced players who may or may not be using mumble, TS or even squad voip correctly.

This is why people incorrectly believe Mumble is why teams win. In a roundabout way this is sort of true, however it is not solely because of Mumbles functionality. It is merely because players have switched to the team with the most Mumble players on. I see this day in day out. Disappointingly, players who clearly don't get what TG is supposed to be about openly admit to doing so on the forums.

Mumble should not be required as it would be a move towards exclusivity, it is not in line with our current rules set/guidelines and it is not simply not a necessary step to take. If you like using Mumble, great, I do to. Doesn't mean we have to legislate for it.

How about instead of trying to change our rules, the Mumble fans when joining the server and switching to the 'Mumble team' actually stayed on the team they loaded in on and spread the word amongst their 'Mumbleless' team mates. Now that I would love to see, I will not be holding my breath though.

Comment

when we dont have a microphone requirement, why mumble requirement?
                      what if you cant talk if someone is in your room? as long as you can type everything is fine (and a lot of players can give written infos quicker as talking in mumble).

| | | |

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                        1.game voip is restricted to your sqd and chat takes time and by the time u type it and the player reads it, that taking into account that he even sees it, it might already be too late or outdated.
                        In my 4+ years of playing this game, I have seen so few instances of this being of such supreme importance that it doesnt even merit mentioning.
                        2.nothing to do with posititional audio. its because u can talk to people next to you if something comes up and u need quick help or assistence. again by the time u type it, it might be too late.
                        In my experience, i'd estimate that a good 90% of the time, when you're asking for help, regardless of the circumstance or communication method used, nobody listens. Want a medic? Too bad, he's got better things to do. It doesnt matter if you're both on mumble, because you're just as likely to be ignored as if you spam the medic call or type it in chat. Mumble plays no more or less to those situations than anything else does.

Mumble has nothing more to do with realism than anything else in the game does. In-game VOIP is actually closer to true life than mumble is in that regard. In actual combat, your radio is limited to the channel you're on. Want to talk to someone outside of your own unit? You have to change channels and talk specifically to them. In-game voip doesnt allow for changing channels per se, but it does simulate having radio comms only with your unit or to the command structure if you're a squad leader. Mumble is just every man for himself, not to mention the people who havent yet figured out that force center isnt supposed to be used ALL THE TIME.

But as both I and Wickens said, TG's policy is in direct opposition to requiring mumble, so the thread really has no further point. We've had this argument many times before (feel free to search for all the mumble threads here) and they've all ended the same way.

Comment

As to those comments regarding how Mumble does or does not affect the chain of command, how many rounds have you SL'd, how many rounds have you CO'd? How realistically do you play? (Not being personal, I mean the 'royal' you).

A lot of very experienced players will tell you that Mumble is regularly used to circumvent the chain of command, that it can lead to 'blob' mentality with very little actual leadership, it can lead to a complete breakdown of individual player and squad discipline. These are again just opinions but I feel it very relevant to point out that these are the opinions of players of do actually use Mumble and have been leading squads and teams for a very long time. Dismissing these opinions is to put it bluntly, foolish.

Comment

I wouldn't want to force people into using Mumble. I just find it helpfull for calling medics, warning people about enemies/mines or calling targets or whatnot to people standing close. Good for armor squads who have more than one vehicle in use (though TS would suit for this aswell). The good thing is that everyone on the same team can be on the channel without (hopefully) bothering the whole team all the time.

The problem we seem to bumping in these multiple threads about Mumble usage seems to be the un-game related talk while in-game. People should be aware that their voices do carry a lot farther than the guy just next to them.

One problem, which has been pointed out aswell many time in here and those earlier threads is the ability to (or not to) admin Mumble.
                            [S7]Hablos
                            Proud to have been part of the 101st Siege Corps of Engineers

sigpic

Comment

Mumble has nothing more to do with realism than anything else in the game does. In-game VOIP is actually closer to true life than mumble is in that regard. In actual combat, your radio is limited to the channel you're on. Want to talk to someone outside of your own unit? You have to change channels and talk specifically to them. In-game voip doesnt allow for changing channels per se, but it does simulate having radio comms only with your unit or to the command structure if you're a squad leader. Mumble is just every man for himself, not to mention the people who havent yet figured out that force center isnt supposed to be used ALL THE TIME.
                              yes i agree that you would be on the same radio channel(sl channel comes into play), but in real life when working with another squad you would be able to talk to the guy standing next to you "contact 155""i need a rope" "do you have a patch?" ect.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X