Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day / Normandy

Gentlemen,

As some of you know, I live in Germany as an American.

On Saturday, I am driving to Normandy to visit the battlefields, the invasion beaches and the cemeteries of both Armies. I thought, for the 4th of July I would honor our veterans by visiting a historic site and remembering the sacrifice of our soldiers, no matter the war. It will be my second visit, but the first time I have time and freedom to really see it.

D-Day was an amazing thing. The culmination of years of effort to get to that one moment in time when the combined Allied forces stormed the beaches, freeing Europe from a terrible horror.

I was wondering what TG folks thought of D-Day and if there was any places you would recommend I visit and take some photos of.

Where would you visit if you could go to Normandy next week?

I am sure it will be a moving and also great trip for me. I will post some photos when I get home next week.

Take care,

T
    sigpic

Re: D-Day / Normandy

The Arhnam bridge.....

pointless waste of life but worth visiting

Comment

Pegasus bridge
      Caen
      Carentan
      the beaches ofc
      Sainte-Mère-Église
      Sainte-Marie-du-Mont

quite band of brothers inspired, but i'd just try to see as much as i could
      AnimalMother
      Ex TG-31st LR
      "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
      sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Pointe Du Hoc
        http://www.panoramas.dk/fullscreen3/f24a.html
        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
        So that when they turn their backs on you,
        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Brécourt Manor
          Skud

Comment

Tman,
            congratulations on the chance to go. it will exceed your expectations.

i was fortunate enough to visit Normandie a couple years ago, and it was one of the most humbling experiences of my life. As I stood there on the beach, as the warm sun heated my body and the strikingly calm waves broke with such visible anger, as if they were still washing out the blood from 65 years earlier; I was simply and utterly humbled. it's a feeling i haven't had since.

pointe du hoc was impressionable too because the bomb craters are still intact. you can walk around and into some of the flak emplacements too. it reminds me of the Vinh Moc Tunnels in Vietnam, but that's a different story.....

not to spoil it, but here are a few pics to emphasize my point. hope it helps:

Last edited by CoronadoSeal; 06-30-2010, 10:06 PM. Reason: i forgot to say how awesome i am

Comment

Villers-Bocage.
              St. Lo and the bocage
              Caen, definitely.
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Thanks guys. I have also done quite a bit of reading and I have a 2 good books. I will certainly check these suggestions out in my references and get them in my GPS.
                sigpic

Comment

"I have also done quite a bit of reading and I have a 2 good books. " -TMAN

That's the best way to do it. :D
                  Viking

Comment

If you can Tman rent a bike and bike around the coast line and other points of interest which people have listed. My parents a number of years ago did a bike riding trip of Normandy through the company Backroads. I believe on their website they have a itinerary of what that trip encompasses.

Will you be going with Warlab this time around?
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

this is on my "to do before i die" list. i'd go find all the museums first, then go along and see where i'd end up, depending on time and money.
                      i'd really like to see berchtesgaden as well. been to auschwitz, westerbork and majdanek, that really bums your mood. ****in nazis. verdammte feiglinge.

Comment

video i made a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                          If you can Tman rent a bike and bike around the coast line and other points of interest which people have listed. My parents a number of years ago did a bike riding trip of Normandy through the company Backroads. I believe on their website they have a itinerary of what that trip encompasses.

Will you be going with Warlab this time around?
                          Nope, warlab couldn't get over for this one. Hopefully before I leave here (Germany) he will get over for a Normandy Trip. We both did Market Garden and the Bulge, so we are working up to it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoreZiad View Post
                            video i made a few years ago.

nice work, but out of curiosity, why does it end in egypt?

Comment

thx. it's cut, used to be longer.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse