No announcement yet.

Would you wrestle with 2 VOIP programs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you wrestle with 2 VOIP programs?

The way I see it the 2 only real drawbacks of Mumble are desyncing issues and that it does not locate sound along the z axis, with z being height, making it hard to use for pilots. Would you use both, teamspeak and mumble, with mumble being for local speech and Teamspeak 3 being used as the squadleader Radio only?

Re: Would you wrestle with 2 VOIP programs?

It is a blessing and a curse with the increased number of comms methods. Me for example;
    Mumble
    Squad chat / Commander comms
    Ventrillo ( Other friends playing other games)
    TeamSpeak ( I idle the PR tactics channel)
    You learn to recognize voices pretty quick.... But the noise often becomes unbearable if i'm trying to play seriously and not casually. In those cases i turn off the 'extra' programs - Vent and TS.
    It's nice to be in touch with all my peeps, but it just doesnt mesh when focusing on the game.

The mumble fails are relatively rare. Though some issues are of course unavoidable, but over time you learn some tricks (stay away from the edge of the map, etc). The spam between rounds has never bothered me. Personally i like hearing the stories about a cool firefight or how someone finally knifed that pesky sniper and stole his kit, only to later use it against the victim. Usually you get a good laugh, which is nice after some rounds that otherwise test your will to stay another round...
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

People did wrestle with 2 VOIP programs when mumble just came out. It is too much, and people have given up on the idea.
      There are 0 people in TS, 50+ currently in the mumble channels.

Comment

I haven't up until now seen the drawbacks with mumble. I just came back from a game where I was a medic with mumble, TS and in-game voip running. I come to the battlefield and see alot of dead people that I have to revive, with people talking on mumble with me. I suddenly find myself in a conversation with the revivee (With the squad leader issuing orders in the background, *in-game voip*). When they are all revived and I was about to regroup with my squad, I had no clue what they were up to since I was mumbling with smurfs.

That's the drawback with mumble, people (not everyone) loose focus on what their squad is doing. I don't think I'm fit to try out to be a fighter pilot since they have to manage (what I heard) to hear and write down key information from several sources in your radio simultaneously, and I can't even handle two.
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

ive never messed with team speak 3 so i dont know. i dont really think it's necessary.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

TS for me has nothing to do with ingame play. I just talk to my sqd mates or friends with it. nothing more. for me mumble + ingame voip. TS is not a part of the equation

Comment

I do two = Team Speak and in game VOIP.
              sigpic

Comment

It's not really necessary to use TeamSpeak for SL communications when mumble already has a built in SL chat function.

I use mumble/VOIP to communicate to various groups of my team. I use TeamSpeak to talk with friends.

I see no reason to use both programs, it's hard enough to get people to actually use mumble as it is. Adding TeamSpeak to the equation would only make things worse, not better.

Comment

Originally posted by Crawlingeye View Post
                  That's the drawback with mumble, people (not everyone) loose focus on what their squad is doing. I don't think I'm fit to try out to be a fighter pilot since they have to manage (what I heard) to hear and write down key information from several sources in your radio simultaneously, and I can't even handle two.
                  Blame the player, not the program.
                  I'm not saying you did something ghastly or wrong, but that it is your lack of focus towards your squad that caused it, not Mumble itself.

Mumble does what TS does and more, and all of what it does is useful. For pilots, it's not really a huge deal because generally they should have an SL to designate orders, and they can mute mumble while in the air. For everyone else, unlinking only really occurs when the person is just joining, or goes off the map. Pairing TS alongside Mumble does not fix these, and only makes you run TS for minimal effect (only causing multiple SL channels, really...).

Comment

Been using 2 voip programs since I started Vanilla and PR.
                    TS + In-game voip (you can also in theory say that the CO option is a multiple voip program all together, being that you can talk to all squads and once and then hear all their replies at once.)

I like the immersion aspects of mumble. What mumble gives as a 2nd communication program option is already put into place within The ARMA games.

If you are receiving orders from your SL and people are chatty katty around you, just ask them to be quiet for 10 seconds, I'm sure they will comply, or as I have really started to do, and what many other SL's do is to communicate with the squad strictly via mumble.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

If i am playing then both mumble and ts are open.
                      doYouEvenLuftwaffe

Comment

Counting PR, I normally have BF2 VOIP, mumble, teamspeak (for IHS chat/admin issues) and xfire (usually receive text for in game issues) which allows chat as well as steam which has crappy VOIP :P. I mute/silence each as needed so if there is chatter in TS I don't need I close that down and for in game stuff it is usually just mumble and in game VOIP.

There's no problem having multiple sources as long as you retain control over them. Make sure to bind your volume up and down keys as well as mute buttons.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I play with TS3 and mumble.

btw, if you drive ANY armor, use mumble! Without it you are missing out and so damn hard to reach!

sap

Comment

Originally posted by sapientiea View Post
                            I play with TS3 and mumble.

btw, if you drive ANY armor, use mumble! Without it you are missing out and so damn hard to reach!

sap
                            word

Comment

I actually asked Twisted_Helix about this, removing the ability to all chat completely, no Sl radio etc, no all chat from out of game etc, only local chat, then use TS3 as radio. but he said he tried that and there were network issues that couldn't be overcome.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X