Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Armor on the street against insurgents playing it safe vs supporting infantery.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor on the street against insurgents playing it safe vs supporting infantery.

Fighting insurgents in a city is one of the hardest things to do ingame. Unlike against a conventional force, which might choose to entrench itself, the insurgents are very agressive in engaging the Blueforce and pushing them out of the streets. Keeping the armor safe to preserve tickets is a good thing, especially if you are not experienced, but using the armor in such a way that troops are not being supported is hugely detrimental as well. 2 repelled assaults by 3 squads is a loss of 36 tickets and they have to go in a 3rd time if there is no better alternative.

Most people keep the armor away from the fight in the city, which should be avoided if possible. However if friendly infantery is in a particular section under pressure rolling a tank down the street will help a lot.

The tank crew does not see it, because after getting 2 or 4 kills insurgents hide from the big bad tank. But from all the blueforce squads a lot of pressure is taken, because the medics can revive heal and they are not pinned anymore, the technicals are either destroyed or staying away from the city. The insurgents went from throwing themselves at the blueforce to going into hiding, which means the coaltion troops can engage them far more easily. Not only are tickets preserved, but the blueforce can maintain their presence and get closer to finding the cache.

Of course it is a huge risk. Being agressive with armor at the start of the game, when all the bombcars are manned is probably not a good idea. At that point its best to wait in the open for bomb cars and RPGs. Staying too long inside the city is not good either, if you stay longer than 5 - 10 min with a tank, the insurgents will plot to take it out with a bomb car. An APC is at even more risk.

However if you see friendly troops inside the city take casualities and drop by so the blueforce can regain the initiative and leave after they are back on track it goes a long way towards helping them and is a great way in between being suicidal with your tank and sitting away from the fight not helping.

Re: Armor on the street against insurgents playing it safe vs supporting infantery.

There was the perfect example of this just recently.

I think this last week we had a commander on a pub round of Karbala and were ordered to take out this cache that had been in the city D6 (IIRC) since the beginning.

By we I mean, two infantry squads, a tank, and two Strikers. How it worked was my 6 man squad moved down on a main road towards the cache with Striker support from the north west. At one point we distanced ourselves from the Striker as we hit a residential area. Our assault went decently without close Striker support, but in the end we were taken out. Same with a squad that came in from the NE.

A second infantry push came and this time all vehicles pushed along with us. What was once a wild west shoot out was a colllection of sporadic shots fired. More and more I'm seeing City raids performed better and better. Of course you always have to watch out for bomb vehicles (remembers a couple nights ago on Falujah) ;).

Comment

Re: Armor on the street against insurgents playing it safe vs supporting infantery.

Sure do, the server wont quite up about it XD. I was done gunning because my Coax was bugged and went sniping, so I was in a different sector, but I did see the blue blob vanish.

Also it depends on the server. If the insurgents are all over the map, 2 squads can easily deal with the one squad located in the cash area. If the insurgents concnetrated over half their team and technicals in the cache area, sporadic armor support might be needed.
      Last edited by Golgo13; 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

But then there's the chance of it backfiring and you get 32 crazy Insurgents swarming over the tank in an attempt to get a screenshot of standing on it.

Comment

+1 to Golgo if I had it to give.

Golgo I always enjoy your posts regarding armor and always seem to find myself in agreement.

You can do it with a HMMVW, Stryker, APC, or Tank. It's agressive. It's risky. But it works. Walk your infantry 50-100 meters in front of the tank and keep up good comms and alot of good things can happen. Of course, Axis' post above is correct also ;)

|

Comment

Thanks ^^. I just feel once you learned how to keep the armor safe in an open zone, learning to know when to take a risk to help out troops far away from your current location is the next step.

Comment

That's pretty much the way it should be done most of the time. Like most people would know, when armour is in the city situational awareness is vital. I believe it is good to have at least 1 or more squads directly supporting the armour (depending on the vehicle/amount of vehicles). They can call out things the armour cannot. Of course something can slip by sometimes, you just need to do your best in maintaining that awareness. And, if you can't stop a VBIED, tell the vehicles to get the hell out of there!

sigpic

Comment

coverfire

A simple thing still not always used is suppression. If theres no friendlies then fire on that building to help secure the area, even without kills it'll keep their heads down

I generally would recommend any large caliber vehicles (maybe not scimitar) does its very best to use up its ammo. Rearming will then vary your position also and stop you falling asleep basically and/or tunnel vision

This is also down to the SL and CO to pass on valid areas of fire. CO is the only one who can easily duplicate the 3D arrow or target marker between squads

Being agressive with armor at the start of the game, when all the bombcars are manned is probably not a good idea. At that point its best to wait
                Sounds good, play the odds because often players will keep track of respawn times and so on. Wait or use of patience is also going to help make tactics more varied.
                Its a computer game, unfortunately it can be extremely predictable and players make it worse when they take the apc right when it spawns at full speed towards the front line, its position can be calculated pretty precisely without any intel or line of sight. Surprise on the other hand is hard to beat.

I basically equate online games to poker, bluff is about the best tactic available

If you find yourself in a fair fight, then you have obviously failed to plan properly.

Comment

If Squadleaders would use the radio more it would help too. If I am guiding the tank and see a lot of red dots pop up someplace, I might just drop by.

Comment

The problems I see with a Humvee used as support is the sniping of the gunner. Even with a full squad in support of the Humvee. How do you counter this??
                    sigpic

OLD GUYS RULE!!!!

Humor is something that thrives between man's aspirations and his limitations. There is more logic in humor than in anything else. Because, you see, humor is truth. Victor Borge

Comment

This is a huge problem for me too. My gunners always get shot out even if the full squad is close, watching rooftops and flanks, calling out and suppressing targets, and moving up slowly.
                      Any tips on tactics to use when in an urban area with humvees or rovers?
                      In-game nick: [FSG]Oskar Xfire: wrestlersesf

Comment

That should only be a problem when the Insurgents deploy a marksman or a sniper, which is rare enough, or if they are very close or surrounded the humvee. Anyway the humvee is usefull, but vulnerable. I would only put it between the squad and the insurgents if somebody needs to be revived. Otherwise I would let the humvee lag like 50-100m behind the squad. The insurgents will most likely focus on the ground troops then.

An experienced squadleader knows he should stay off the streets as much as possible and will move from house to house. Keep the Humvee at a distance so it can cover the entrances to the structure and can shoot hostiles which were able to dash right under the building, trying to enter or attempting to lob Molotovs inside.
                        Last edited by Golgo13; 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM.

Comment

I would love to see this happen in game while playing as a civi with other civies without having to worry about getting shotgunned or drove over by hummvws. Just for the simple fun as having a bunch of civies standing in front, far enough away and throwing rocks at the tank. Maybe an errant Molotov being tossed on the side not doing harm to anyone.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                          Level I HazMat Technician
                          NYS EMT-B
                          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...