Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point Alpha - Fulda Gap

Greetings,

I wanted to share some photos I took last weekend at Point Alpha - the US Observation Post that was located in Fulda Gap during the Cold War. It is now a museum and monument. Very interesting place.

The concrete is actually a road used by the DDR to move vehicles up and down the fence. I runs the entire length of the old border, and is now a "Green Way" park. They say deer herds that were separated during the Cold War don't cross the imaginary fence today, as they grew used to the fence being there for years.

The USA side is the square OP.

The white OP is the DDR side.

Fulda Gap

I have a co-worker that was stationed here during the Cold War. He said one guy flipped out, took an APC alone and headed to the border from Fulda. He was stopped 1 km from the border, as he ran out of gas. Actually, a PR admin removed him from the situation for 1 manning the APC.....

A really sad chapter in human history. I hope we don't forget it.

T
    sigpic

Re: Point Alpha - Fulda Gap

I'm so glad this became a monument and not a battlefield. A real testament towards the human species to understand there's more to ourselves than just political structures.

"Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"

Comment

very cool. If i remember my studies, this "gap" would have been nothing more than a sad cemetery... NATO forces would have held and died here for the sake of delay, tens of thousands dead, all so the allies would have time to regroup.

keep these coming, awesome stuff.
      Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

My first thought when I saw the DDR rock was, yeah, it's that slow. Time to upgrade!

Seriously that's a pretty cool museum and monument, thanks for the pics!
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

What most people do not know is that the Berlin wall, or actually the 'neutral zone' on both sides, is now under consideration (or actually is?) for being a protective nature reserve.

Be cause the area was not used, especially after the Berlin wall was taken down, it has grown to be a very green corridor for different species of animals to travel through. Dear, wolf and bear are using this long corridor to migrate to other places. Abandoned houses and control posts are very good hiding places for the animals.

Very nice and cool. And it is a long wall, even though it is called the Berlin wall it reaches the dead sea.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X