Omgcaswtfbbq???!!!1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omgcaswtfbbq???!!!1

Just a friendly reminder to please make sure you have a non-pilot leading your CAS squads so that they can give the pilots vital markers quickly and efficiently. It's not a rule, but it should be.

kthanks.

/EndRant

This message was brought to you by frustrated SLs everywhere that have died in vain while waiting for CAS that either never comes or lands right on their heads. And the letter Kashan.

Re: Omgcaswtfbbq???!!!1

I agree with you, nothing is more frustrating then CAS without clear marker or spotters
    sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

To be honest I've seen Cas squads work fine without infantry SL's. As in, a fighter // bomber situation or Pilot // gunner. It means 1 more guy for an active infantry role

Comment

As long as SL's on the ground put the vital markers on the map for cas and laze the target, it's not quite as necessary as it used to be, though it is certainly a lot easier.

Comment

It's also good that you understand that you need to be patient. When multiple squads are asking, somebody is going to get their CAS over someone else. In addition to that, the spotters of some CAS squads have their own targets that they also address too. Please understand that a lot is going on and continuously bugging CAS spotters to get CAS onto your position is only going to cause frustration.

sigpic

Comment

Cas Priority should always be;
              ** Enemy Jets ALWAYS come first**
              1) Armour that is engaging friendlies
              2) Armour that was Overwatch
              3) Flags about to turn neutral // Enemy
              4) Enemy FoB's within a 400 meter range of flag in play
              5) Armour on main field of play
              6) Infantry fortified positions (I.E. infantry on mountains on Kashan)
              7) Armour not in main field of play (As in you know they are there and they're moving all the way down the G coloum to try and flank, not important)

This is my own opinion :P

Comment

I'd like to add some things to that kontact :P

1) Jets
                2) AAVs/Stationary AA/MANPADS positions
                3) Heavy Armor that is either engaged (firing) or in a position to engage (overwatch). BMP-3s count as heavy armor, that cannon is messy for infantry and those missiles are brutal on tanks.
                4) Light Armor engaged/position to engage, and heavy armor attempting to maneuver into a firing position. While a lunchbox or bradley may seriously screw things up, they're not as bad as a tank or BMP3 because the infantry have more options for either scaring them off or dealing with them outright. Not that you shouldn't help, but if you have multiple targets to prioritize, pick the heavy ones first, they'll last the longest and do the most damage without your intervention.
                5) Enemy Emplacements that directly threaten control of a flag. If there is, for example like on Kashan, an FOB and assorted goodies AND infantry entrenched in a bunker, clear out the FOB first. Plug the hole, then clean up the mess :3
                6) Enemy Emplacements that indirectly threaten control of a flag. I don't really like the Mountains example for this, as it's been a few versions since anyone's tried to foot charge down the hills and into the bunkers. A better example might be from the hills east of South Village, when the US frequently try to get in there. People spawning on an FOB there don't spawn in cap zone, and need travel time to get to the flag. That makes them less important than the FOB inside South Bunker, which is immediately reinforcing SB defenses.
                7) Armor that's just cruising around, be they 250m from a firing position or 950m. They have no respect for you. Destroy them :D In all seriousness though, get them before they get into position, and you won't have panicked calls from infantry in about 5 minutes when their world comes crashing down on them because you were busy looking for "more worthwhile targets" (or "easier targets"), if you see it when you're pulling out of your run, come around and kill it!
                8) Enemy buildings. Like the ones in South/North Village. They know what they did.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlancic View Post
                  It's also good that you understand that you need to be patient. When multiple squads are asking, somebody is going to get their CAS over someone else. In addition to that, the spotters of some CAS squads have their own targets that they also address too. Please understand that a lot is going on and continuously bugging CAS spotters to get CAS onto your position is only going to cause frustration.
                  I think the patience thing needs to apply more to the CAS squads than the SLs. My point to the "CAS that never comes" was more about a pilot who crashed his asset while trying to mark the map, or flies around waiting for targets from SLs and gets shot down in the process.

CAS is one of those squads that requires a higher level of professionalism than any of the others to be effective. Things like knowing your approach, where the friendlies are on the position you're about to blast... and whether or not their is AA present are all very important. I don't mind waiting for CAS as long as I know they're doing something important while I wait. That might be verifying the target, hitting another higher priority target, or waving off because of dangers to the CAS assets. I do mind waiting when it's because a pilot couldn't sit on the runway until his spotters were ready for him and went to look for targets on his own (or just a joyride) and got shot down.

The original post was made in frustration over a particularly useless CAS squad that not only failed to destroy any enemy but also managed to drop a bomb on a friendly position and almost cost us the bunker complex. (probably counterlazed, and yeah it happens to the best CAS squads too) Shortly after that run they crashed on their approach to a CAS marker made by a different SL. The squad leader was flying the frog, another guy had a sniper kit, and the third was in the mig. We had enemy air assets tearing us a new one and the mig was trying to drop bombs on infantry in the bunker complex instead of engaging the a10.

However, I do realize that majority of people that would run a CAS squad like that probably don't read the forums and that this post will never reach them. But still it made me feel better!

Comment

If the gunner in a 2 seater assigns markers to cas requests it works fine. If you map your joystick accordingly, a jet pilot can place his own markers too, although not necessarily at 600m altitude XD. If squadleaders on the ground act as jtac that is. If none of the squads on the ground communicate with air support, a non pilot on the ground is essential, which limits cas to where the squadleader is.

Comment

CAS priority should always be whatever target is the largest threat to the victory of your team. Sometimes even enemy jets/copters should even be superseded by two/three infantry running into N/S Vill which will stop CAS's ability to re-arm, or worse, Farm/Chinese outpost on Quinling which blocks the spawn.

FWIW I'd much have a spotter than without but it is still possible to function, it just gets frustrating sometimes trying to process all the mumble chatter. Also generally less targets are bombed, more friendlies are hit, more CAS is shot down by AA, but if no one desires to be a dedicated spotter you do what the job entails and get it done. What's really bad though is if you get a SL who doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't update marks, doesn't sit in mumble, doesn't read the chat, and is busy sniping.

It's going to be interesting to see how CAS spotting evolves with the new UAV.
                      Last edited by AdmiralKird; 08-09-2010, 12:35 PM.

"Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X