Any PR Players with Fios? - Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any PR Players with Fios? - Question

Please either post if you have Fios or PM me.

I am in the process of switching to Verizon Fios. Long story short, I have cablevision for cable tv and Verizon Phone and DSL Internet connection, and its time to save money and to speed up my internet connection.

I am leaning toward the 25mbps bundle pack which is being offered......

Anyone have the 15mbps internet connection? The 25mbps internet connection? The 35mbps internet connection?

Do you load in Quick? Same as you did before? And anything else I left out.

Once again please only respond or PM me if you have Fios.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Any PR Players with Fios? - Question

I can guarantee you it won't affect your load times.

Comment

Load times are largely client side related (loading textures, etc).
      Actually establishing a connection to the server takes an insignificant portion of time; merely a few second or so, barring any connection issues.

Comment

True. But also curious about the overall happiness (not the word I'm looking for but all that comes to mind right now) with whichever fios speed is being used.
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

I had fios a while back. Back then I didn't play PR. But I enjoyed it alot.

It beat the snot out of my DSL back then, and by the time I went to Uni I was expecting fast speeds.

Gaming wise, it helped ping slightly, but you wouldn't see me going to an African server just because.

Comment

with game like PR, anything over, say, 2-3 mbits is gravy; it won't make a difference.

They call it speed, it's not actually "speed". it's bandwidth. The little bits always go the speed of light, it's just a question of how many you're allowed to send/recieve per second.

Comment

If you really want to load in fast you need to buy a new computer Randy :) And IF you have the money buy a SSD, it will make all the difference.

Although I do not have one, I still load as one of the first in the server @2.58 on the timer.

Comment

Originally posted by sapientiea View Post
                And IF you have the money buy a SSD, it will make all the difference.
                TMAN can vouch for this, quite often I will start loading into TG and T will start up PR and still end up making a squad just as I get to the squad screen. My rig isn't a beast, but a 2.5 quad CPU and 6gig of ram isn't so slow for BF2.

Comment

I understand my slow rig won't load up as fast even if I had an uber DoD NORAD connection. But I have always been on the cautionary side of fios and verizon in general. Thanks for all the feedback. Very much appreciated.
                  Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                  NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

I got fios, 25mb package I think. It won't increase load times but your ping will remain steady. I average around 11ms when the server was in Virginia, I now get around 50ms, but it normally will never lag and if it is lagging its probably the server or the game, not the connection. I have no complaints with it, it beats sharing a coax cable with 50 of my neighbors at night.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm also on Cablevision, and Fios just became available here.
                      GO read up on reviews at www.dslreports.com , both OPtimum and FIOS is heavily dependent on your geographic proximity to the trunk. I'm about 4.5 miles from the Optimum trunk, and almost 9 miles from the FioS trunk.

Remember that if you actually use the 25Mb/S fatpipe at full capacity for a month straight, Verizon will throttle your connection speed, use it fully for 3 consecutive months and Verizon will terminate the contract. SO do not go download too many "linux builds" using bittorrent.

The other option is to call up Cablevision and complain about speed, see if you can get a customer service rep to waive the fee to upgrade to the Turbo Boost 15Mb/s package for Optimum. Though TUrboBoost only works in certain areas of the cablevision service area. Otherwise, you can call OOL service rep and try Turbo Boost for one month and see if it helps, cancel it if it doesn't. In most areas where Boost does work, it is reguarly capped closer to 50Mb/s due to the frequency being almost unused as it is reserved for OPtimumBusiness and OPtimumUltra customers.

And if you do try Boost, go get a SB5000 or SB6000 series modem upgrade. the 5000's have 38Mb/s capacity and the 6000's are like uncapped but realistically around 55Mb/s capacity for downloads.
                      litoralis, litoralis, litorale, adj (Latin)
                      1. of the seashore
                      2. Beach bum

Comment

Currently on the 25mbit/s verizon bundle. Runs like a charm for anything related to downloading/uploading...but as far as game load times, that's pretty much dependent on your computer's CPU and RAM. I consistently have good connectivity and have not had any issues with service for the past four months.
                        Semper Fi, Marines.

Comment

I'm getting the tier 2 25mpbs bundle installed as we speak. The trunk/hub is down the street from my house and I don't download anything illegal or anything really at all so I don't see verizon cutting my service, but the combined deal altogether is pretty sweet. If I find out my roomates (Grandma's Boy reference) are up all night downloading movies, and music they will be grounded from using the computer
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                            I'm getting the tier 2 25mpbs bundle installed as we speak. The trunk/hub is down the street from my house and I don't download anything illegal or anything really at all so I don't see verizon cutting my service, but the combined deal altogether is pretty sweet. If I find out my roomates (Grandma's Boy reference) are up all night downloading movies, and music they will be grounded from using the computer
                            Well-kept secret: ISPs are absolutely loath to cut a paying customer. They only cut the service of the most absolutely egregious and persistent pirates, and only then under persistent threat of lawsuit.

In short: don't freak out worrying if Verizon's gonna cut you off.

Comment

Well the wireless works great but my comp won't start. My power supply finally has called it quits. I'll wound you all next week when I get a new power supply inatalled.
                              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                              NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...