Politics and Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics and Games

On Sunday, Mr Fox (British defense minister) said he was "disgusted" by the game Medal of honor, which allows players to adopt the role of the Taliban in the Afghan war.

In order to keep the OP readable you can review the article by following the link :http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...-duty-comments)

I'm really surprised by his comment, I mean did he woke up one morning, saw Medal of Honor/Taliban somewhere and decided to have an opinion? Not even mentioning the fact that there are no Britsh soldiers in the game lol!

I'm not even talking about his opinion on the matter, but merely on his apparent skill to have missed ALL the other games were he also could have made comments on?

Some more question I have:
    * Did he lived under a rock for a while?
    * Does he have a mid-life crisis and "discovered" computer games....?
    * What for advice did his political adviser gave him on this subject?
    * Banning a game because British soldiers have families?

Re: Politics and Games

lets hope they never found out about PR
    sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

He probably just needs some sympathy from a certain demographic.

I play video games and I didnt know the game featured that, Im sure someone is feeding him info and he didnt discover that on his own.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

He met a conservative old person and decided to get some headlines.

Didn't you know playing PR will turn you into a serial killer too? Way to dangerous for our impressionable minds. I say ban chess as it is an affront to blacks too. Imagine black chess pieces....what a huge problem.
        sigpic

Comment

It is all a series of tubes, you kids don't understand that it is not a big truck !

another techo-idiot
          You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
          So that when they turn their backs on you,
          You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Yesterday, Fox said Call of Duty: Medal of Honor made him "disgusted" because of its ability to let players control members of the Taliban.
            Theres a Call of duty : Medal of Honor?

I am the Infantry FOLLOW ME!!!

Comment

The problem with this is that said politician most likely doesn't really gives a damn about dead soldiers or talibans at all, just uses some buzzwords (violent games, honoring the people in the service, terrorism) to get more voters on his side.

The question is, how far a game can go before offending people? Right now we have suicide bombers and blufor killing civilians in PR, which doesn't seem to bother anyone, me included. But how would you feel if we had a map picturing a US city with the opfor being terrorists? And what if said map had two similar looking tall buildings next to each other, and the insurgents had a suicide plane?
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post
                The problem with this is that said politician most likely doesn't really gives a damn about dead soldiers or talibans at all, just uses some buzzwords (violent games, honoring the people in the service, terrorism) to get more voters on his side.
                *DING*DING*DING*

/closethread.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                  It is all a series of tubes, you kids don't understand that it is not a big truck !
                  A series of tubes carrying HATRED.

Guy has never seen the game, someone told him he should be mad at it.

Comment

Elections must be coming up!

Comment

We had a politician in the US say something like this about BF2 when it was a fairly new game. He was disgusted that you could kill US soldiers, and that Al Qaeda was using the game as a recruiting tool. I think the latter was true to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Buflak View Post

The question is, how far a game can go before offending people? Right now we have suicide bombers and blufor killing civilians in PR, which doesn't seem to bother anyone, me included. But how would you feel if we had a map picturing a US city with the opfor being terrorists? And what if said map had two similar looking tall buildings next to each other, and the insurgents had a suicide plane?
                        Well, that would be the end of Project Reality's hope to release a commercial version of the game in the United States.
                        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                        So that when they turn their backs on you,
                        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

First it is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

Secondly I must remark on your apparant skill to miss the fact that until he became the Defense Secretary in May, he was in no position to make public comments about games related to the war in Afghanistan and since May, no such games have been released.

Thirdly you might want to do a little more research before giving your opinion. Some soldiers have agreed with Liam Fox, while some do not.

Comment

Using a gun in a computer game with a mouse and keyboard makes you an excellent marksmen in a real life scenario. - It's Science.
                            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                            Level I HazMat Technician
                            NYS EMT-B
                            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

This British government official has just created an awesome future video game. Combining CoD MW and MoH into one would be uber on biblical proportions.

Obviously he has no clue what he is talking about. Or he just had a senior moment and got his words mixed up.
                              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                              Level I HazMat Technician
                              NYS EMT-B
                              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...