[AAR] General Observations 24/8/2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [AAR] General Observations 24/8/2010

I immediately forgot the name of my glorious squad leader on the map that pits honorable insurgents against godless Canadians, but he did an excellent job. We won the round by eight or so points ending at 11:30 pm EST.

PR did not crash at all after I set Terrain and Texture to medium.

Had Mumble working but moved off channel as I did not need the extra voices, nor do I see myself joining in Mumble soon -- far too much chatter (please, I mean no offense -- just my preference at the moment).

Does Mumble add any necessary element to the game (I see plenty of intell coming via text chat...)?

Managed to make #8 in the team on the final score board, but cannot imagine why. I was killed many times, suicided a few times, and only fragged enemy once or twice (quite exciting moments).

Spent the first game (map name forgotten) as SL. Still too new to take the lead position and be effective, but I did manage to hold our fireteam in a forward position for some time and my men fragged enough to make it worth while for the team (our side, USA, took that round by about 8 points).

All in all, PR has really stood the test of time and is excellent in many ways. Does not have the high end graphics of the latest games such as BC2, and lacks the run and gun pure fun of BC2, but makes up for that in high-end tactical play.

It is a bit annoying being killed by enemy you never see, and spending most of the game never seeing enemy, but that is probably what war is all about -- death from a great distance.

Tomorrow I'll get what ever I need to make in-game movies.

The Insurgent round ended with a rather spectatular attack on a CND light vehicle that made a suicide run for our position. It was caught in a tight kill zone and "blewed up real good" -- the very stuff I want to get on film.
    sigpic

Re: [AAR] General Observations 24/8/2010

The biggest reason i use mumble is that it is quick and efficient. if someone is next to u and they see enemy u need to know. if he goes typing that in he can be killed before typing. or when hes done writing the problem might have already passed. if u both were in mumble it would be "hey watchout enemies there, dont go". fast, efficient and saves lives.

plus it is really annoying to constantly keep reading chat. it takes ure attention away from the game. plus its more realistic to hear ppl talking next to u, same as it would be in real life where u can talk to anyone next to u. that gives me a more realistic feeling, and that is why i play PR, for the realism factor.

thats a few reasons why i use mumble:)

also if u hear everyone takling, u might be unlinked. coupled of ways to fix this is alt+tab out, go out of bounce and come back in or hop into a vehicle and out. usually fixes it

Comment

Got a question since it was brought up in the AAR...

why are the teams split in mumble? Would that not defeat the purpose of this communication medium? The reason why I ask is that coming from Arma and having a communication system like this (directional chat) it seems that it really only offers Squad to Squad coms, no different than TS would. The directional chat/ being able to here people in around you adds to the fact of being stealthy/ knowing WHEN to talk and HOW to talk. Just wondering.

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Sounds like you're having fun! Hope to get to fight with you (or perhaps against) when I get a break from my never-ending work cycle.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        Managed to make #8 in the team on the final score board, but cannot imagine why. I was killed many times, suicided a few times, and only fragged enemy once or twice (quite exciting moments).

Spent the first game (map name forgotten) as SL. Still too new to take the lead position and be effective, but I did manage to hold our fireteam in a forward position for some time and my men fragged enough to make it worth while for the team (our side, USA, took that round by about 8 points).
        You get more points for helping out the team (shoveling outposts, healing buddies, etc) than for getting kills. At the end of the day, if you helped the team and have a K/D ratio greater than one (more kills than deaths), you are doing an outstanding job.

All in all, PR has really stood the test of time and is excellent in many ways. Does not have the high end graphics of the latest games such as BC2, and lacks the run and gun pure fun of BC2, but makes up for that in high-end tactical play.
        Indeed, and that's what makes all of us tolerate the lack of graphical advances.

It is a bit annoying being killed by enemy you never see, and spending most of the game never seeing enemy, but that is probably what war is all about -- death from a great distance.
        No player of PR is a stranger to this–it'll take some experience to figure out how players like to position themselves and how to position yourself to avoid being seen. Also, make sure that you get to cover as soon as you hear the first shot.

Originally posted by E-Male View Post
        Had Mumble working but moved off channel as I did not need the extra voices, nor do I see myself joining in Mumble soon -- far too much chatter (please, I mean no offense -- just my preference at the moment).

Does Mumble add any necessary element to the game (I see plenty of intell coming via text chat...)?
        Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
        if u hear everyone takling, u might be unlinked. coupled of ways to fix this is alt+tab out, go out of bounce and come back in or hop into a vehicle and out. usually fixes it
        Mumble is extremely helpful for many players because it allows quick comms with those close to you, and if squadlead, comms with squadleaders (similar to how TS would work) across the map.

If you're hearing a lot of chatter, and it's not just coming from players that are standing around you...
        1) You're unlinked. Like Kwalc said, hop in any vehicle, and hop back out. This usually gets Mumble re-linked.
        2) You're in the SL radio channel. If you're a grunt, chances are you'll be better off outside of these channels, where players will only use local speech. Make sure you double click on "Team 2", rather than the "Team 2 SL"/"Team 2 SL Alt" subchannels.

If you're still experiencing issues with that, and think that it's abnormally chatty, I'd suggest looking for some help; if you're in-game, linked, and in the general team channel, it should be dead silent if there is no friendlies around you using Mumble. And if it's not for you, it's not for you. :)

Originally posted by Jack Bauer View Post
        why are the teams split in mumble? Would that not defeat the purpose of this communication medium? The reason why I ask is that coming from Arma and having a communication system like this (directional chat) it seems that it really only offers Squad to Squad coms, no different than TS would. The directional chat/ being able to here people in around you adds to the fact of being stealthy/ knowing WHEN to talk and HOW to talk. Just wondering.
        The "teams" that are being separated are not individual squads, but entire sides.

Initially, the channels were set up as follows:

>TG channel
        >>Team 1 SL subchannel
        >>Team 2 SL subchannel

Joining the TG channel (and any channels therein) results in you hearing everyone on the server through local speech (if they are close enough, of course). The subchannels can still hear this, but they can also hear the "Force center" or "Radio" style communications of anyone in that subchannel with them (Team 1 SLs can plan without Team 2 SLs eavesdropping).

Problem with this was that people were often a bit immature and hyped about our new mumble-toy, and would often start disrupting play through use of mumble; ie. a player is shot, and goes down wounded. when the enemy gets nearby the player's corpse, the player can talk loudly "MUMBLE MUMBLE MUMBLE LALALALA" and then the enemy couldn't hear the in-game sounds of the rest of the players he is trying to find. So they were separated to the following structure:

>TG Channel
        >>Team 1
        >>>Team 1 SL
        >>>Team 1 SL (Alternate)
        >>Team 2
        >>>Team 2 SL
        >>>Team 2 SL (Alternate)

What this does is allow everyone on Team 1 (say, the US team) and everyone on Team 2 (the Russian team) to communicate amongst themselves. Anyone in a "Team __" channel can hear everyone else in that channel, if they speak with local chat (even if they are in one of the SL subchannels). Anyone in a "Team __ SL" subchannel can hear everyone else in that subchannel if they use SL Radio.

The reason why it doesn't defeat the purpose of mumble is because of the fact that it mutes those farther than around 100m ingame from you (excluding if using Radio), so all 31 players can be in mumble and the interfering chatter is kept to a minimum because of that.

(That was a little long-winded, sorry. I tried to answer your question as thoroughly as I could :) )

Comment

mumble is very handy when the whole team isn't standing next to each other. It allows for local chat so on a map where two squads meet it takes seconds to update each other instead of a bunch of text that pulls your eyes from the surroundings. It also makes talking to the transport pilot/driver so much easier.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

very good replies, and thanks for the in-depth explanations.....so what i am getting from all of this is the reason for the whole server not being in one channel is b/c of the kids then :)

Hope this changes when the PR:Arma comes out b/c i feel it adds another layer of having to "plan" and think on your feet. I am just glad I got mumble working again!!! see you guys in the field!

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

very good replies, and thanks for the in-depth explanations.....so what i am getting from all of this is the reason for the whole server not being in one channel is b/c of the kids then :)

Hope this changes when the PR:Arma comes out b/c i feel it adds another layer of having to "plan" and think on your feet. I am just glad I got mumble working again!!! see you guys in the field!
              i look forward on shooting u, or playing with u, whichever comes first :D

Comment

E-Male, I thought you did a very good job as Squad leader in the Matruh City map. I was autoswitched on that Operation Archer map which is why it may have seemed that I left so abruptly.

I haven't used mumble yet. Opened it once but I couldn't get it to work for some reason and haven't really looked to find the cause which is probably something simple to fix. I think the benefits mentioned previously by the more experienced players are probably right on, but the in game VIOP and how it's set up seems to work just fine for me currently.

Anyway, good job.

Comment

Well, I think that because PR and ArmA2 are such different games that it could be possible to have a single channel; problem with its use PR is that because it's still small in comparison to ArmA2, which means that far too often you'd be heard by an enemy just over the next ridge. With ArmA2, I figure you'll far more often be surrounded by an excess of 10 squadmates in most situations, and often engaging at farther distances than in PR.

Mumble's not the most "realistic" when it comes to rendering local volumes–people 75m (that's in Battlefield-Meters™, by the way) out can hear you as if you were whispering; though, that's not to say that it should or should not be realistic, because that level of volume does help in hearing over the sounds of the battle, so it's a trade-off in this case.

And one last thing on Mumble–it's a supplemental tool. It doesn't attempt to replace VOIP or text chat. But it does make communication easier if either of those options aren't sufficient... a few examples:
                  1) Saying "GRENADE!" over Mumble will save more lives than just over VOIP
                  2) Getting the attention of a nearby vehicle is easier with Mumble (instead of hoping they look at the team chat before they zoom past)
                  3) Squadleaders can quickly formulate a more detailed plan, if they are close, without disturbing the rest of the SLs on the team.

Do you need it? No.
                  Is it helpful? Arguably, yeah.

Comment

E-male thank you for being patient with me on Operation Archer yesterday, for me its sometimes more chaotic as a SL as an insurgent than it is on a regular aas map. It was a lot of fun having you and alonick in the squad along with the other guys who stopped in throughout the round. Though we didn't really get any kills (I swear we did especially with the different areas we held).

I don't know if it is because it was the beginning of the week or that school in the US is beginning to start but for the first time in Allah knows, we didn't have to worry about random players spawning at unknown caches and giving them away. It was a lot of fun, we all worked well as a team.

I had my terrain set to low and I will say it was very weird........i might have to set it to medium though I experienced little or no lag at all, it was just so weird in regards to how the ground looked and dynamic light is still set to high but the
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                    Level I HazMat Technician
                    NYS EMT-B
                    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Awesome helpful responses! I'll make a point of using Mumble.

I have some Radio training lined up in the next few weeks, which should help me get up to speed as well.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Celestial1 View Post
                        And one last thing on Mumble–it's a supplemental tool. It doesn't attempt to replace VOIP or text chat. But it does make communication easier if either of those options aren't sufficient... a few examples:
                        1) Saying "GRENADE!" over Mumble will save more lives than just over VOIP
                        2) Getting the attention of a nearby vehicle is easier with Mumble (instead of hoping they look at the team chat before they zoom past)
                        3) Squadleaders can quickly formulate a more detailed plan, if they are close, without disturbing the rest of the SLs on the team.
                        4) Running an armor squad with 3 pieces of armor - Can communicate with your gunner/driver faster than with VOIP and there is zero chance to mistake someone else's driver for yours or vise versa.
                        5) Breaking your 6 man squad into 2 man elements. With VOIP you can't do this. Comms get too clustered and you're not sure who's talking to who.

Squad leader meeting in mumble are the best. It's great to see a ton of people grouping up in the corner of main base or somewhere all huddled around maps and planning stuff out.

I could go on and on. The fact of the matter is that you are going to be able to communicate faster, more effectively and to a greater ability than with can with chat/in-game VOIP.

Comment

Hope I get to roll with you soon!

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post

also if u hear everyone takling, u might be unlinked. coupled of ways to fix this is alt+tab out, go out of bounce and come back in or hop into a vehicle and out. usually fixes it
                            If you're running windows 7, remember to run mumble as administrator! It confounded me for some weeks as to why it would never link. It linked instantly when I told windows it was ok.

I'm also not ashamed to say that with mumble, squad chat is now entirely unserious as infantry. Singing contests, talk of personal issues, etc, can now be safely performed in squad chat up until we have contact.

Comment

That Archer game was pretty good wasn't it? I didn't plan on staying awake that long, but a good squad and a good teamwork from the entire INS side kept me around!
                              INS had a little 'oops' moment near the end, Blufor must have been almost done when a cache was (im guessing accidentally) Tkd (by an IED i think). That brought the total to 6/7 caches destroyed raising the stakes. Fortunately the other cache stayed unknown and we were able to focus our defense around VCP.
                              Very close at the end too, Blufor knew that a cache was at the VCP and tried getting there a few times with LAVs and jeeps, but to no avil due to a well organized group on the hills above with RPGS and supply of ammo. Nice job to those on that hill.
                              I was in the vill for a while, and all i saw was RPG after RPG after RPG fired at those LAVS, fun to see.
                              Thanks for the good fight.
                              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X