Training/qualification ribbons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training/qualification ribbons

This is a suggestion to add training/qualification ribbons for PR. Most things in PR do not require separate training, mainly most of the infantery stuff, because you do plenty of it ingame although you could have training events for that too, to train things like moving in bound overwatch without you being shot at or a live game going on.

However there are things you ideally do not learn by doing, like flying an attack chopper or jet. There are a few people who are really good with the attack chopper or the aircraft, but if none of them is on the server, the next guy in line is usually somebody who just gives it a shot. For most of us sitting in the jet or bomber is a rather rare occurrence, unless you play a lot.

So why not introduce qualification ribbons which you earn at training events? On the training events the people who managed taking off and landing in their own time, can train basic things like doing bomb/cannon runs and eventually dogfighting on quinlin. If somebody is more or less reliable as a gunner or pilot of an attack aircraft he could be awarded the appropriate ribbon.

It would be a motivation for people to get more flying done and to earn those ribbons on training events, the other players can see in the Ribbons section who qualified for what and if none of the 4 uber aces are on the server chances will be better that there will still be somebody in the F-16 who can drop bombs on your target.

Re: Training/qualification ribbons

Oh Kilgore. I think this is your only opinion I have to respectfully disagree with. This is was suggested before, by csxgamer I think, and it was shot down by everyone. There's too many problems with this, like having admins enforce it, and having instructors making this class every other week if we want more than 2 people flying.

To be honest, I enjoy seeing new flyers. Because for the most part flying on a local server gives you hardly any practice at all for when you are on a live server.

Comment

Well you woudnt need a class every other sunday or somthing fixed like that. Admins could host such a training class whenever they have time for it and those who can take it or leave it, just like with all other events. Only that the classes would have to be rather small, like 3-6 people.

This isnt about showing people how to take off and land, they should try and get that done on their own, seen as everybody else would have to wait after the jets on both factions have been crashed :p its about doing the things that you cant do on your own, like bombing lazes and getting some time in dogfighting.

Comment

I like the idea of implementing a ribbon/badge system in PR for the aspect of training. It gives the person a reason to actually go practice and learn some new skills. I do wish PR had a better training thing besides the CO-OP and creating your own local server. I remember America's Army game had a decent training thing that familiarized the player with all aspects of the game.

I practice flying helos on my own, but I dont have the confidence to actually do it in game. I dont want to be the one crashing them doing something stupid.

I by no means want the badges/ribbons to become a requirement to use assets in game. That would be a pain in the butt and a turn off to new people. Just use the badges/ribbons as an incentive type deal for training.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

Ive learned most thing by myself, even before the introduction of training server and Co-op, but I have to say it was much more easier in previous version, for example in the A10 you didnt even need a spotter to lase tank, you could lock them on sight wich was much more realistic in my opinion. The trick was to pick an empty server and join with one of your friend, you had all the assets for yourself, today with co-op server it is much more easier, you even have bots wich make perfect targets. After getting a bit of flying time on co-op try joining in a known CAS squad, they will teach you the rest.

I played many flight simulator before, like Lock-on and Blackshark, So i cant say im not familiar with 'aircraft', project reality just feel so arcade after playing those 2 games, there isnt much thing to learn in PR to be honest
          sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

But it's already hard enough to get a jet without the qualification, everyone wants to be the Red Baron. What if someone is really good with the jet, but has never visited our server, let alone our site, who also plays once in a blue moon. What should we say to him? "Sorry, you can't fly because you need to take a flying course we host every 3 weeks."

I don't see this as helping our community, only tarnishing it and making the average joe feel unaccepted on our server.

Comment

Yeah the problem right now is there isnt much map made with aircraft, hence every `veteran`wants to do it, it might only be an arcade game but you still need your weekly flying time if you want to be effective, so many problems ,so little solution

edit: What the hell Am I talking about....
              sigpic

Any problem on Earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives.

Comment

Originally posted by Axis_Sniper View Post
                But it's already hard enough to get a jet without the qualification, everyone wants to be the Red Baron. What if someone is really good with the jet, but has never visited our server, let alone our site, who also plays once in a blue moon. What should we say to him? "Sorry, you can't fly because you need to take a flying course we host every 3 weeks."

I don't see this as helping our community, only tarnishing it and making the average joe feel unaccepted on our server.
                I never said to make the training ribbon a requierment to get to fly. And I dont think its hard for a good pilot to get a jet either, most of the regulars are quite happy to let a good pilot fly cas if they know they are good. I am quite happy when I see one of the good pilots fly cas for us, which on the other hand makes it frustrating if he is not online and nobody is on who gets it kind of done either. If none of the good pilots is on it would be good if at least somebody is in the cockpit who dropped ordinance on a laser mark before. Also those who rarely or never get a chance to fly will have an easier time to let go of the jet if one of the good pilots is on because at least he gets to do it a little on a training event.

Originally posted by daveyjonesjr View Post
                The trick was to pick an empty server and join with one of your friend, you had all the assets for yourself, today with co-op server it is much more easier, you even have bots wich make perfect targets. After getting a bit of flying time on co-op try joining in a known CAS squad, they will teach you the rest.
                Yes thats what it is about mostly. Somebody using text or mumble to call in a grid kpad and lazing a target and eventually 2 guys dogfighting. Nothing uber fancy.

Comment

Co-op mode is AWESOME for getting your "wings" in PR. You have live targets to shoot at (bots) and the aircraft just keep respawning. You can join a server on the web with other people and train with the lasers, choppers, jets, landing, etc. It's better than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo13 View Post
                    I never said to make the training ribbon a requierment to get to fly. And I dont think its hard for a good pilot to get a jet either, most of the regulars are quite happy to let a good pilot fly cas if they know they are good. I am quite happy when I see one of the good pilots fly cas for us, which on the other hand makes it frustrating if he is not online and nobody is on who gets it kind of done either. Iif none of the good pilots is on it would be good if at least somebody is in the cockpit who dropped ordinance on a laser mark before. Also those who rarely or never get a chance to fly will have an easier time to let go of the jet if one of the good pilots is on because at least he gets to do it a little on a training event.

Yes thats what it is about mostly. Somebody using text or mumble to call in a grid kpad and lazing a target and eventually 2 guys dogfighting. Nothing uber fancy.
                    If they qualification ribbon is not a requirement, then why should the new guy be forced to hand over the jet? Why can't we just use a normal TGU pin?

Comment

I never said that anybody should be forced to hand over the jet. First come first serve would still apply, but if you know you are shaky at best and see somebody on the server who has at least a ribbon that says he gets the basics done, one might be more likely to pass up his chance to fly for somebody who can help the team untill he got himself the chance to train a little. There is a TGU university pin? So there already is some kind of ribbon who says you participated more or less successfully at some kind of training event within the community. Does it also specify what you did and for what game? (Infantery, Jet, helicopter)

Originally posted by CR8Z View Post
                      Co-op mode is AWESOME for getting your "wings" in PR. You have live targets to shoot at (bots) and the aircraft just keep respawning. You can join a server on the web with other people and train with the lasers, choppers, jets, landing, etc. It's better than you think.
                      Do the jets on the human player side handle like the ones in regular multiplayer?

Comment

Of course. You can see what pin they've earned by either looking at the image properties, or the little picture. Which ever way works :)

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/tactica...ng-awards.html

Comment

TGU pins are not game specific but they specify what role you are trained to preform there is also a list of people that have participated in courses and there you would be able to figure out what game it is for. I am surprised that you didn't know this since you have been around TG for a while and you must have noticed the small pins in peoples signatures.

So instead of this start encouraging people to sign up for TGU classes this way it will be possible to identify people and their skillset. You have given me an idea for some changes to the system but they I will need to think about this and talk with the other instructors first.

PS: axis you need to replace your old pins with the new ones that are not game specific;)

Edit 1: Also to give Dispo a little more work I think that any supporting member is able to reserve the private server for practice. Correct me if this have changed Dispo.

Edit 2: Anyone that think that there is something that is needed in the training department is welcome to contact me and I will look into it.
                          If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

Originally posted by daveyjonesjr View Post
                            for example in the A10 you didnt even need a spotter to lase tank, you could lock them on sight wich was much more realistic in my opinion.

Gents, if you and others would like to instruct/set up/aid with a TGU PR Jet Combat course, please, by all means do.
                            Skud

Comment

Im a bad teacher but if anyone else is alright with that, I might even attend it as a student
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X