Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monday sept 13 Barracuda.

Intro
    Four choppers worth of American whimps took off from their mothership in noisy flying wannabee-little-birds humming Ryde of the Valkyrie as usual.

The elected LZ was the swamp area. The landing went allright, as the enemy wasn't ready for us to try and get a foothold on the most slippery part of the island. Little did they know we were so whimpy we used to be in a figure-skating club.

We soon had contact pretty close to our nw. Using bounding overwatch, my squad of sassy sissies and our sister squad run by Almightylion, succeeded in moving to the highround of the old supply depot flag, the fort in the center of the map.

After establishing a safe drop zone, choppers swiftly responded to our calls for construction materials and we commenced fortifications.

The plan
    Now I've often thought both sides play this map wrong. And little did I know we finally were playing a round where theory would be put to the test.

Fact: In the center of the small Island there is a fortified position, relatively easy to defendn, which gives view of nearly half the map, effectively cutting the island in two.

Theory: since you are fighting for control of the island, both teams should try to securely control this key area instead of having the whole team wander around in the woods, throwing flimsy bodies at flags and getting pinned on the beautiful beaches soon to be a dark shade of red.
    As the game proceeds, having control of the fort should be decisive in your ability to isolate and put pressure on flag locations FTW!

Method: have at least two squads defend the key area with one focused more on watching the back and staying in the fort itself (mine), and another with more freedom to poke in and out where needed(Almightylion's), as if it were the arm of an amoeba extending to devour a tasty enemy cell. Take that Wicks with your boxing analogies.

Execution

Initially our whole team was at the newly established firebase, and all the flags were near the airfield area. It soon became clear that all the enemies were in the airliefd area. The other squads started to push out towards the flags tentatively.

The attacking squads didn't immdiatly succeed at bearking the enemies defences, but they were able to effectively direct the attack Hueys, which made run after run on the enemy positions. As kills were coming our way, we decided to stick with the plan even though flagwise it did not yet yield succes.

Now I personally was watching the rear area, looking over the swamp, and the hills between the fort and the Chinese main. My attation span is soo short though, and I'm always talking with various people troughout the game, lowering my attention even more then the smoke screen permanently decorating my monitor. To counter this I used a hunting tactic known from the elegant sport of fishing, called 'baiting'. As I was standing upright in the open on a huge boulder looking very preoccupied with not watching the area around me. The tactic worked as I got shot several times and knifed once (omg omg what killed me sniper?- er no you were knifed ....). Each time I was the first to go down as if I was a holy tripwire intelligently designed to die for the cause.

Several times we were attacked from the front (airfield side). two times we were attacked by a squad flanking us from the NE. Once a batmobile smartly got into the hills to the east shooting down on us. It was scared away and did not try again. Once we were attacked by two Jeeps with a mounted MG. The enemy valiantly succeeded in knifing the FOB on several of these attacks. Also very much worth mentioning is the exploits of our AT departement in stopping several vehicles advancing on the road leading to the fort.

Yet none of the assaults sported enough manpower to have a good chance of wiping two and a half squads(half = the other squads accidentally in the area) off the fort. And ... why would they?

After all, this location was not even near a flag. It would make no sense to commit a substantial amount of forces to this unimportant locale!
    Or would it?

This would be a good time to recap the advantages of our location.
    -view of east hill, swamp area, eastern rock fort,
    -locking down the enemy supply line as the fort offers a the perfect ambush position facing it.
    -control of south area of fort if you have some spotters in the south hills
    -our sniper had a view of the airfield control tower and the enemies on it
    -securing this much of the island gave our transport Hueys a safe inroad to keep us supplied
    -many trenches in the fort allow you to intitially survive an attack from high ground, enabling the counter attack
    -cover from artillery

Conclusion
    I love it when a plan comes together. As the game progressed our valiant attacking squads were able to win a war of attrition, slowly weakening the defences and capping flag by flag. When one or two of our squads landed inside the Chinese main, we proceeded to move out from our cherished position in support of their efforts, across the rope bridge. At this point I thought of taking some screenshots.

The communist forces once recapped one airfield flag, and we moved back to our fort momentarily, but our friendly squads dealt with it swiftly. As both our squads very cinematically entered the Missile Silo compound, the flag was greyed. When we decended into the underground Silo itself, we were greeted by a happy-face APC sitting merrily in their base that belonged to US.

Acknowledgements
    Off course this victory was not a result of my efforts or both our sister-squads'. I don't know w[B][U]hat happened in the battle for the airfield. I'd be happy to hear from you guys how you experienced the round. The same goes for the enemy.

I suspect the Chinese team got disorganized as the game progressed and possibly some squads were disbanded. Frustration on their team must have also been hightened exactly because our team was able to prevent them from reinforcing anything at all. Unfortunately people tend to quit the game in situations like these, further weaking a compromised position.

Please share in this thread your views of the round progression and your views on my theory of the map.

/wall of text :p.
    Last edited by BigGaayAl; 09-14-2010, 09:14 AM.

Re: Monday sept 13 Barracuda.

The flag setup from your screenshots is particularly well suited for that strategy and one of the easier groupings for the US to take and secure.
    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Control of the Supply Fort cuts off the road to the Western half of the island. Supplies and Reinforcements are then pretty hard-pressed to get to those flags, slowly allowing the American team to wittle off the enemy.

Certainly better than landing in front of them at Airfield or Beach Fort.

Comment

This is the mandatory way to play Barracuda as USMC.

And if there is a flag at docks, you just blow the bridge up.

Excellent AAR guys that looks like a deserved win due to excellent coordination and strategy.

Comment

I was running the CAS sq and later on the LAV that sped up our win.

We had scouted it out and they had only one FB on the western side of the map which was right next to the air tower. We kept doing runs on the air strip flag and occasionally somewhere else, getting a few kills each run. Once a solid push from the inf started, we did a run on the roof of tower and then one on the FB. By the time we were done the inf were pretty close and took down the TOW and AA. Xsoldier did another run on the roof using maybe 6 missiles, and since the AA was down and the enemies only defense was 2+ squads inside the tower, he then went around and hovered at the windows. He managed to get 1 missile into the room and killed 10 guys! Sadly, he nicked his tail on the branch or something and it was enough to kill his engine. Either way most the enemy were dead in the tower.

All this time my heli had been dead (I got shot down when I did a run on the roof to take out a HAT and inf) and I was getting rides and crates. I had built a FB at both N Rock, and S Rock (a flag) so once they capped the Tower I was ready and capping S Rock with a FB and defenses already placed. Once we capped the flags I got a ride to silo to try and close the door before the setup a defense, but they were already waiting for me so I died.

Next, XSoldier and I spawned at main and got an LAV. We went to Silo and started killing everyone and everything that could hurt us. We had about 2 squads of inf here too but could not cap. the Chinese managed to gray beach so everyone had to leave. I rushed over the beach and help clear it and recap, then I rushed back as fast as I could to Silo. I went to the ramp to the bottom of silo and saw an inf soldier walking down below. I told XSoldier not to shoot him and maybe they will open the door for him. XSoldier accidentally fired while I was talking to him but it was too late for the Chinese. They had already started opening it for their buddy. At this point we tard rushed through the door with HEAT rounds exploding everywhere. Their LAT was one of the first to die and then we pwnd everything, grayed the flag, and then opened the door for the inf to walk in. XSoldier and I laughed pretty hard when they opened the door for us.
          Viking

Comment

Thanks for posting your side!

Seems that final assault was pretty entertaining. The lucky missile at the tower ... lol.

Comment

I joined mid round as chinese. Our whole team was in control tower. It was a medics nightmare in there. People dying outside, on the roof, mid level. No one could sit still. The arty didn't really do much I think we lost one or two guys. What did us in was the attack helo shooting in the mid level. First time it took out a squad second time it took the medics out. Our squad made one push for beach obj. but got leveled by a hmg. The team descended into shambles at that point. The game was over when control tower was taken. We tried to set up the silo defense but it failed because people didn't get that running in front of the box will open the door. The LAV came in like a shark. In the silo for future reference don't run in front of the control boxes because it opens the door. And also don't yell "Why did you open the door omg" because the guy who did it probably didn't know better. I"m sure the Blufor execution felt good I love it when I'm on a team that can work together.

Never Beat Ninja Gaiden

Comment

That was my HMG I built at S Rock
                Viking

Comment

That was a great round last night, pretty epic stuff on the U.S.

I am the Infantry FOLLOW ME!!!

Comment

Viking, you do not need to wait for the Missile Silo door to open before you can go down into the basement/control room area. The door has no mesh for vehicles; you can drive right through it.
                    CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

well that seems terribly fail
                      AnimalMother
                      Ex TG-31st LR
                      "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                      sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Yeah those are pretty tough looking blast doors, kinda weaksauce if its like that on purpose.
                        |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

Obviously this wasn't intended... C'mon.
                          CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

Originally posted by Silly_Savage View Post
                            Obviously this wasn't intended... C'mon.
                            yeah, well then the testers should have spotted it... ah
                            AnimalMother
                            Ex TG-31st LR
                            "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                            sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

Indeed, looks like a pretty nice place to bunker down if the Chinese team don't have any reason to use it. That initial wave would have been brutalized had there been a flag at, say, swamp, or the very fortress you took. This isn't idle guesswork, it's cold hard speculation, coupled with entirely unprovable anecdotal evidence. The unfortunate truth is that this tactic works equally well if the US take and hold the Airport when all three flags are on the other side of the island. The Chinese team probably all spawned at the Rocks and Airfield, without bothering to reinforce or even create a supply line. It bodes well to remember that it takes at least a minute and thirty seconds to get USMC boots on ground, plenty of time for the Chinese to get equipped with the provided truck. (Which, if memory serves, is a CO truck with supply crates, not ammo suitcases)

The trick to winning as USMC is to be where the Chinese aren't, have no reason to be, or can't get to.

Edit:
                              Baiting is twice as effective if you have a sniper rifle. I know of no player in PR who can resist the siren song of what is surely a lone wolf, cut off from his team, looking for easy kills alone in the forbidding jungle. Even the most cautious of squadleaders can be drawn to fire on or better yet, go for the knife, when the target lays down on a silver platter, apple in its mouth, completely ignoring your approach. It is not enough to know intellectually that it is a trap, you are still drawn to the glory of the hunt and the cry of the beast.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X