Performance Indicator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Indicator

So we in the 189th are having a discussion in our subforum as to what is the best indicator of a players performance. I thought I'd throw it up here for everyone to discuss as I think its an interesting topic.

What do you think is the best way to determine success or failure at PR ?

1. Your score ?
    2. Your K/D ratio ?
    3. Your team win's or loses ?
    Score
    13.79%
    K/D ratio
    32.76%
    Team win/lose
    53.45%
    Last edited by Warlab; 09-16-2010, 10:35 AM.

|

Re: Performance Indicator

Where's the "none of the above" option?

Comment

Voted for K/D, but only because there is no ticket ratio option.
      sigpic

Comment

There's no way to know the ticket ratio, so I wouldn't count it.
        Also, I don't think any of these are any accurate, but you CAN get a vague idea from the K/D. Scores don't mean anything and team wins and loses are relative. That being said, I think the "less bad" option is the K/D.

Anyway, there is no accurate way to predict who will win, the only option is actually getting to the end of the round. But even in real war (and other stuff), predictions are made over vague data, you can never know what surprises you will encounter that could change everything.

And for PR, I sometimes just "feel" like winning. Like when things are running smoothly, and everybody is doing what they should. Also if you see enemies making mistakes often, that could indicate that they are not doing so good.

In-Game: |TG-Irr|Dreves

Comment

Ticket ratio can be found out personally by just adding the tickets taken and tickets lost... which is 100x more important than KD...

Apache crew have 40 kills 6 deaths altogether, plus 4 deaths no kills on their spotter...
          They however died 4 times in the round and have no veh kills...
          So they made a loss... 40:50

Then again, everything is about winning. Perfect example is people giving up to spawn and quickly get a flag radius to prevent capture, rather than waiting 2-3 mins for a medic. Worst for ticket ratio but probably better for the team.

I picked team win/lose.

Comment

Originally posted by VCDreves View Post
            There's no way to know the ticket ratio
            Well, there is a sophisticated and very advanced device that is capable of keeping track of your personal ticket count.
            It is still in development, but according to some scientists it will look something like this:

Every time you die, you write down the number of tickets you lost, and every time you kill something you write down the tickets the enemy lost. If the sum of the second column is greater than the first, you are succesful.
            sigpic

Comment

Clearly the team win/loss.

K/D has nothing to do with contribution to the team.
              Score is a better way to look at it, since there's often people on top with only a few or no kills.

But the most important thing is that the team wins. Every single player counts and even if you're not in the front shooting people or driving an APC, you can contribute crucially to the team's win.
              PR is one of those games which doesn't really encurages selfishness. At least for me...
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
                Where's the "none of the above" option?
                Whoops, srry.

But if none of the above, what are you thinking Kwalc ?

|

Comment

If youre name isnt Spitfire than you performance is destined be poor.

But honestly, Id say you compare the tickets youve lost your team, to the one youve taken from the other.

Dieing 3 times in a tank is 33 tickets. But if youve killed 4 tanks, their whole crew plus 2 cows and a BMP. Youre ratio is positive, so you're doing well.
                  sigpic

Comment

Many maps are hard to cap out on, meaning that if a round ends via attrition that a players ticket ratio will have been important.

Win to lose ratio when on a team of 32 in a game where you have to rely on your team heavily doesn't mean to much in my opinion.

Score in PR is just silly. Listening to people talk about being in the top score for their team at the end of the round always make me cringe. If you did a good job you know it, the score doesn't prove it. You can load up a transport truck and do loops around your main base and end the round with the highest score, CONRAGTS you won the scoreboard! Or you can use 2 bradleys and kill 15 armored vehicles including a couple of havoks.
                    |TG-12th| Namebot

Comment

where's the fun option?

if i'm having fun i'm generally doing quite well, if i'm sat there thinking why the fk am i playing this then i'm probably not doing to well
                      AnimalMother
                      Ex TG-31st LR
                      "Is it the 31st policy to have hott women as their avatars? Because if so that's a pretty baddass policy." - Pvt. brokeback
                      sigpic

Arte et Marte

Comment

in my limited opinion, i voted for the score. In my limited knowledge i feel that you get points for helping the team, by building and defending. You could only drive around for the entire round and bulid fire bases, die a couple of times, but stil achieve a decent score because the things that you were doing was helping the team out.

I have problems with the squads that rush rush rush, just so that they can fight and kill people without helping the rest of the team out. good poll though. I think also one of the options should have been, level of accurate and content filled comms, not just the rabbling crap :)

"TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population....Tactical Gamer is not mainstream. We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers" ~ Apophis

Comment

Depends on the situation.

For instance, a pure infantry squad can be graded based on K/D at how effective they are. If they have a good ratio -- then they have controlled their area pretty well.

However, in the overall scheme of the game, a good K/D from every single squad does not mean the other team is losing. For instance, in the recent internal scrim, the British infantry squads had a better K/D than MEC infantry, but were almost capped out. Therefore, you have to take into consideration positioning of a squad to provide a good enough performance indicator. Were they where they needed to be to prevent or help the team achieve a certain goal. If yes to both K/D and positioning -- I feel you can indicate the performance of an infantry squad.

I say infantry because when you bring up assets it's a whole different ball field. Once again, in the recent internal, I was driving an APC almost the entire game. You can not judge effectiveness of driving an APC by my K/D or adding my gunner's K/D for the total APC K/D. Furthermore, our ticket ratio may or may not have been positive (I believe it was, but for the point we'll say it wasn't). This does not mean that we are failing as an APC squad nor does this mean an asset is failing as a support vehicle if their K/D is negative or their ticket ratio is negative.

The presence of an asset changes the field of battle in all situations and therefore has an uncountable performance measure on the battlefield. In what ways has this asset effected the outcome of the battle. For instance, tank/AAV squad can have a positive K/D and a high ticket ratio on Kashan sitting out in D1. In a way, this has dwindled the enemys tickets and prevented some armor to effectively move. However, if the enemy is continually landing choppers on Bunkers with support, flying their Apaches low, and not allowing any forces to get close to Bunkers then the tank team's performance is not as good as the K/D and ticket ratio states.

There are many ways to factor performance. There is not a single factor that can judge performance however. Multiple factors need to addressed on measuring how well a particular team is. However, if I had to choose one, then I would choose a win or a lose because in the end that's the reasoning behind the other factors you mentioned.
                          "If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the people to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea."
                          -Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Comment

Eeny meanie miney mo....
                            ..and my mother told me to pick the best one and you are not it...

I picked Score. Because that is where my finger landed.

I think that none of the above is correct.

As boogy's back and forth post described things change. Situations for all assets and infantry live in a grey area.

example: If an infantry squad has a bad KDR one interpretation of their performance might be to say that they are 'the suck' for instance because they were overrun. But perhaps someone else would look at the situation and say, alright they lost tickets, but they did take out 5-6 fobs and of their combined squad kills 80% were high value armor targets.

So... Picking a 'Single' method to define success is impossible and saying that one's particular view of success is the correct one is ignorant.

It's difficult to factor in all the aspects that cause an individual to be successful. That is why teamwork is so important. If you are communicating and working together, it is easier to see the results of individuals being successful.

But on the other hand. Seeing things that are unsuccessful is very clear. It is one of those "I don't know how to describe it, but that definitely isn't it" kinda things.

Things like giving up unassigned assets to insurgents like engi kits. not working together with other squads or even abandoning your team due to rage quitting are easy ways to quanitfy lack of success.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Originally posted by AnimalMother View Post
                              where's the fun option?

if i'm having fun i'm generally doing quite well, if i'm sat there thinking why the fk am i playing this then i'm probably not doing to well
                              This is my performance indicator. If I am playing in a scrim where a commander has drawn up a battleplan and I have an assigned role, then winning/losing is the best indicator.

In a pub game however, as many have pointed out, it depends on a number of things, but if my squad is working well together and having a good time, then the numbers mean very little to me. If I'm an infantry squad, I like to see a positive kdr, but if we have a bad kdr and we are beating back wave after wave of enemy, then I still feel pretty good about our performance.

I vote for, "It depends."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X