PR mumble SL channel - A guide for when it is appropriate for use

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR mumble SL channel - A guide for when it is appropriate for use

More and more people are using mumble, this is an excellent development.

however more and more people don't know the meaning of comms discipline :P

I don't mean, "over" "roger" "alphawtfbravodelta" or whatever, I mean just knowing when to speak, when to use alternative communication methods and when to be silent! :P

1) Does it concern other segments of the team?

yes - move to 2) / no - do not speak on the radio

2) can you mark it with the radio weapon?

yes - use the radio weapon, do not speak on radio / no - move to 3)

3) is it urgent?

yes - speak on radio / no - tell teh commander or type it, or speak if radio is quiet.

The best method of intersquad coms and teamwork is the squad leader mumble meeting.

This is simply when 2 or more squad leaders literally move to eachother's position and speak with local chat. this has significant advantages over the radio.

1) you are talking directly with relevant team members without giving useless info to someone else.

2) you can talk in depth rather than in abbreviated speech on the radio

3) your squad members often listen in and better understand the strategy

but the main advantage is ofc that your fellow squad leaders can still hear rather than listening to dudes chatting on the radio about stuff that doesnt concern them.

ofc the disadvantage is you have to be within 50m or so ofthe person to talk properly

Last edited by Rudd_medicman; 09-18-2010, 01:42 AM.

Re: PR mumble SL channel - A guide for when it is appropriate for use

I like the verbal acknowledgment of armor and cas with the radio spotting. Other than that right on.

"All of you stay frickin high speed. All you stay on your frickin primaries and frickin slay bodies all day long. Good to go" -Combat Ninja lol

Comment

That's cool and easy. Definitely will keep it in the front of my mind as an SL.

sigpic

Comment

Rule 0: Are you a squad leader?
        Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
          This.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
            there are a few instances where its acceptable for non SLs to speak on radio, e.g. transport helos, some other vehicles, perhaps a sniper/spotter. However I agree, in most instances only an SL need talk on SL channel, if the information from the helo/whatever is important it can be passedthrough the chain.

usually trans helos etc should only speak on radio as a response to an SL's message, rather than talking without prompting.

Comment

This needs to be read and pounded into the minds of people in the SL channel, especially when it comes to non-important messages that can be typed.
              |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

Indeed. Poor control in the channel are a major reason SLs just dont join it.
                It drives me nuts when two SLs are having a full discussion about the whereabouts of 'something' while i'm trying to direct my squad via mumble or squad chat, let alone have some form of battlefield awareness.
                Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
                A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

More people in Sl channel increases the likelihood of someone talking when they don't need to, human nature. I liked your guide Rudd, nicely done. If you are not an sl or defacto dl, ie in charge of a group, be it CAS, logistics, recon or whatever, then get out of the sl channel. Focus on your job, you don't need command level Intel. I hate it when I have sm's in the sl channel, they are either back seat squad leading or not focused on doing their job correctly.

Comms in the sl channel were horrific the other day and coincided with the end of my squad leading for the day, a chronic and sadly all too common case of 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians'. I for one am glad to get a chance to be an sm and not have the distraction of incessant chatter.

Comment

A SL should still verbally say what he marked, just to raise attention. However I must say the times I have been on the Radio channel I did not notice a too heavy use of it.

Comment

A SL should still verbally say what he marked, just to raise attention. However I must say the times I have been on the Radio channel I did not notice a too heavy use of it.
                      unless its something special like big red there is NO reason to, I've lost count of the number of times I can't hear my squad because of the amount of verbal coms.

worst thing is when someone says stuff like

"this is squad 4, there is an enemy apc in D3, its moving West but it might go north, I'll tell you if it changes direction"

it could have been

"squad 4, enemy APC D3, moving west"

Just remember that if a squad leader cannot hear his squad in combat you are putting his life, and his squad's safety in danger.

the SL radio just requires you to press M every so often to see whats been marked....it aint hard, and its much more efficient.

Comment

love the flow chart rudd, class-a stuff. A quote, if I may.

"It’s “push to talk” not “push to think” stud."
                        Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rudd_medicman View Post
                          "this is squad 4, there is an enemy apc in D3, its moving West but it might go north, I'll tell you if it changes direction"

it could have been

Just remember that if a squad leader cannot hear his squad in combat you are putting his life, and his squad's safety in danger.

I..I uh actually prefer that first one, because I am aware now that the driver has given the observer reason to think he might change direction. If squad 4 fails to report due to being wiped out or otherwise forgetting, I still got partial intel that the APC may have headed in a different direction than first reported. With just knowing it moved west, I'd be just as prone to looking south as north, wasting time and possibly tickets.

Comment

I don't really like the Mumble channel when it comes to reporting the average contact. I can understand if a chopper is about to run into 3 AAVs and a BMP, but not when it's one supply truck doing wheelies in E8K1

You have plenty of other ways of reporting contacts: The team text, squad leader radio, and the commander. No need to clutter one of our main communication channels on something that could be reported in easier ways

Comment

Originally posted by Rudd_medicman View Post

it could have been

I agree with Rudd on that Mat. I think the point is that a message needs to be delivered as quickly and concisely as possible so that the receiver can get on with what he needs to do. It's unnecessary to tell the receiver that something "might" happen in my opinion. If the sender does get killed then the receiver/leader should be prepared for faulty intel. The receiver should expect everything and assume nothing.

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X