Let me know what you think

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let me know what you think

New PC Build. Ready to pull the trigger, i think. Am i missing anything critical or trivial?

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...-pc-build.html
    Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Re: Let me know what you think

Get 2 Gentle Typhoons from Petras Here

You might want a cheap Fan controller to go with those.

Also, see if you're elgible to get W7 Professionial 64 from Windows as part of their $30 college thing.

Also, I'd avoid the HAF. Either buy pantyhose or dust filters; or try out a new case.

Also, you suck for having a better computer than me now.

Comment

If I could have gotten this case when I put my build together, I would have used this one
      http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx

I currently have a CoolerMaster Haf, and it's okay. I had to stick some rubber elements into a few of the joints so it would stop creaking when the fans were on full blow.

Comment

Take a look at the CPU coolers from Noctua, especially the Noctua NH-U12P or NH-D14

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

If you want a good case get an Antec P183. It comes with dust filters and is built to reduce noise, can't think of anything better than that.
          sigpic

Comment

I like my Thermaltake case. It has survived spills, ashes and multiple poundings. She's a tough one.

You look like you got a fine build. I hope you enjoy your new gaming experience, because you will be blown away(Literally in the PR sense.:))

Comment

Lian-Li PC-P50 - It is similiar to the HAF but comes with filters and a neat screwless clamps for your cards. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811112240
              or these if you want to spend a lot more and spend time hunting them down. Lian-Li x500 or Silverstone TJ10 - sexy

Noctua NH-D14 like Lion said. It is supposed to run a bit cooler than the H50, but it is larger and heavier if you will be moving your case around a lot. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...018&Tpk=NH-D14

I'd go with the 5870 right now. Someone said something about new ATi cards coming out which i haven't looked into. nVidia runs too hot for me. I think the 5870 is supposed to be better too.(cheaper as well) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150476

You could go with this RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226121

You could go with a 1TB hard drive, whatever. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136284

I used my computer as my movie watching platform as well, so I'd grab a Blu-ray drive. - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135205

- I'd seriously look into the RAM, cooler, and 5870. Case is somewhat of a personal choice. The P50 has about the same airflow as the HAF but has filters everywhere and doesn't glow. (but they do have a red glowing one if you like that) The larger HDD gives you more GB/$. I don't know how much of an improvement in daily tasks you will see in RAID 0 so I can't comment other than if you lose 1 drive you lose it all.

-For graphics card help http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,2732-5.html and this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,2732-7.html

- Also this http://www.guru3d.com/news/ati-south...es-in-october/ Apparently ATi's new stuff is coming out soon so if you wait a month or so the price for the 5870 should go down more (or you could get one of those new cards)
              Last edited by DaViking; 09-30-2010, 03:50 PM.
              Viking

Comment

By the way...

Unless you know for sure that you are going to overclock your CPU, dont buy a new CPU cooler - go for the sock one.
                When the time comes and you want to overclock or when you think the temperatures/noise of the stock cooler is to high - thats when you buy a new cooler.

If you are going to buy a new cooler right away - make sure it will fit in whatever case you will buy.

About the Nocuta coolers - If you go the space in the case, go for the NH-D14 - if not, go for the U12P SE.

TG-6th|Almightylion

"It's feedom for everybody or freedom for nobody"" - Malcolm X

Comment

I have the Haf you're looking at and love it. Got a 5870 too, can't say enough about, not a fanboy, too old for that. I've had NVIDIA but last 2 cards have been ATI and I prefer them, better value and cooler. NVIDIA run ridiculously hot, I don't care if they can cope with the heat now, heat is bad long term and just adds to overall case temps

Got a Samsung 1TB drive, very happy with that. Looks good, you don't need the CPU cooler if you're running at stock. Have you considered a factory overlook off the bat so you get a warranty with it, if you can find a vendor that does it. I used Wired2Fire in the UK and took my I5 750 from 2.6 to 3.85.

.That's another thing to consider, the processor. If its mainly for games the I5 is hard to beat when overclocked. Yes the I7 is sweet and gives you some future providing on hyperthreading but how long before well written threaded software, most stuff these days struggles to use 2 cores.

Still either way you will have a beast on your hands, lovely! Best of luck with it.

Comment

i7 is a bit overkill, I agree. Always buy your processor based on your performance needs. Unless you do a lot of photoshopping (and I mean ART, like 3k x 3k pixels), and video editing, you won't notice the performance increase between an i5 and an i7 in game.
                    Skud

Comment

Gents, can't thank you enough for the input.

@ Those recommending cases.
                      All look beautiful. The HAF ended up being the balance of space, PRICE, and functionality. I have filters in my current rig, so i'll be monitoring the dust issue.

@ The cooler suggestions.
                      I almost went with a NH-U12P, i'm it would fit fine with the case and board. I'll end up with the h50 bc i've never had a water cooling solution, and its too damn intriguing (read 'shiny') to pass up.

@ Proc suggestions
                      Completely hear you on the i5 worthiness. I almost went with a 1156 build with an i5. But the price differential after all was said and done was just too close not to go with the 1366 i7. My future videoediting plans also factored in.

@ GPU suggestions
                      I concur, the nvidias are a bit toasty. The non reference cooler on it sold me. Broke my heart not going with EVGA, i really like them, but they just dont have a close alternative cooler solution for the 460s (not on Newegg at least!).

@ HD suggestions
                      Single drive wouldn't have enough performance unless i went with an (IMO) overpriced Velociraptor. RAID 0 performance increase is worth it. And i have a networked backup solution already, so data is secure.

I look forward to seeing and shooting you first on the battlefield ;)
                      Also plan on picking up ARMA once this beaut is assembled, should be fun.
                      A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

Not enough neon lights.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spitfire14 View Post
                          Not enough neon lights.
                          Wise guy. Yea, most likely I will be removing any LEDs in the case if they are rediculous. I'm not a fan of the glowing nonsense.

Comment

But what if your lightbulb burns out? You won't have a secondary light to back it up :)

Comment

I agree on the i7 being overkill, but if you're not on a budget, I say go for it. Everything else looks just like what I'd go for :)

In-Game: |TG-Irr|Dreves

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X