Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Counter-Insurgency on Ramiel, 10/13/10 @ 2000 PST

[This space reserved]

Epic, epic round guys. Those of you recording on Blufor or have your stories, feel free to contribute them. I'll be doing my post shortly.
    Whether by air or on land
    foes crumble at my command.

JaFaR Ironclad, at your service.

Re: Counter-Insurgency on Ramiel, 10/13/10 @ 2000 PST

That round was probably the best Public Insurgency match I had ever had.

WARNING: INCOMING WALL OF TEXT:

After Action Report: COIN-OP: Ramiel, 10/13/10 / 2300-0145 EST
    Unit Name: Blackpython
    IHS: 31st RECCE

Team Command: JaFar Ironclad
    Unit Team Position: Stryker Battalion Command
    Squad Members: Digit, Zissou, Conman (Excuse the shortened names, I do not recollect their exact names)

Stryker Alpha: D: Blackpython G: Digit
    Stryker Bravo: D: Zissou G: Conman

Stage 1; Insurgent Uprising:

Convoy rallies up at main base. Strykers position 3 and 5 (approx) in convoy. Our mission was to set up a firebase prepared to assault the known cache location in the F5 Lower Sector compound. Firebase prepared in the G7/F7 area; Strykers positioned to support and eliminate light vehicle threats to infantry, hostile RPG teams, as well as all armed insurgents. Infantry squads pushed north onto the hill over watching the compound and faced severe resistance. Area was heavily mined and prevented my squad from advancing. After a majority of the RPG threat was eliminated by the infantry, CO permitted armour to advance. Guided by the infantry, Strykers Alpha & Bravo safely reached the over watch point. Team was able to use guided weaponry to take down the heavily defended cache. Stryker Alpha flanked by insurgent VBIED, struck from rear. Stryker Bravo was able to exfil troops back to HQ safely.

Stage 2; Inner City Assault:

All troops report back to HQ, disregarding one specialized squad tasked by Commander Ironclad to observe hostile movements, engage as needed, and take down weapons caches with as little contact as possible. Convoy sets out to deply in the A6/B6 region and place Forward Operation Base. Cache was reported in the A3/B3 area. Infantry was tasked as the main assault. Strykers ordered to support the entry of infantry troops and provide distraction for troops flanking to the northern sector. Cache was destroyed and team stationed at the FOB to gather intelligence.
    The following cache I do not remember every cache assault. (I do not have the greatest memory, especially with almost 3 hours worth of action to remember) However the assaults did go well, my squad doing its job very well, in my opinion.

The following cache (I believe) was located in a building to the west of the trash dump in the center of the city. Our troops were focused from the south with a couple small squads to the north. Strykers ordered to support the advance of infantry into the city. A few blocks into the city we were caught by enemy marksmen, technicals, and RPGs. Movement halted and allowed enemy VBEID, codename: GARY, to intercept Stryker Alpha and destroy it. After that incident, my gunner and myself moved into the city on foot. We managed to reach what was thought to be the cache location and hide from enemy troops and vehicles. When the zone calmed down, I called in mortars to clear the cache building and the surrounding area. Digit and myself managed to reach the cache and destroy it, and resultantly were massacred by the insurgent blob waiting outside.

Stage 3; The Final Assault:

After a pointless convoy to the G2 region, the sixth cache was destroyed by Viking and his specialty squad. On the return trip, orders from HQ were radioed in. We were to move into the city and convoy ourselves to the FOB at the large fire blockade. Strykers were tasked to defend infantry troops as they advanced. We faced several technicals as well as a large amount of insurgent snipers and marksmen. Strkyers did their job extremely well in disposing of the enemy threat. Commander Ironclad ordered the Strkyers to move forward as the point and scout out areas for snipers and large infatry threats. Stryker Alpha took a side armour hit by an RPG at close range. Gunner managed to defeat threat to avoid destruction, and we managed to receive repairs in the heat of battle. After our axels were fixed, Stryker Alpha was ordered to RTB for final repairs. On arrival Commander Ironclad ordered the removal of the Strykers in the city due to severely depleted resources after losing Stryker Bravo in the city. After nearly all hope was lost and retreat was imminent, a squad was able to find and destroy the final cache and defeated the insurgent threat within the city.
    All in all, good work by all, friendly and hostile.

Was a fun bit of time at main. Us all huddled around talking about what was needed to be done. At one point like 85% of the team was at the shooting range spamming every gun we had.
    Jafar did absolutely fantastic. He controlled the team, moved the team in an organized fashion, and completed his objective: WIN. Now we didn't do it without our own losses. The final score was like 31-0, which excluding the tickets from the last cache, 6-0 BLUFOR.
    Last edited by ZephyrDark; 10-14-2010, 02:34 AM.
    Blackpython / ZephyrDark
    Former 31st RECCE Member

Comment

Excellent Commanding Jafar, Best I've ever seen.
      Awesome teamwork from everyone and a well deserved win. (If not a bit of a nail biter at the end)

Convoy was awesome, with Myself and Ishotcha in lead humvee, everyone worked together and we got it done.

Heres a screenie from - hanging around base planning the assault. Videos need some trimming so Ill try and get those up soon

Last edited by majorissuez99; 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

GG guys. Thanks for commanding Jafar, and thanks for letting my squad be the roaming recon ninja squad. I am sorry I got the cache in B1 as I am sure it would have been really cool to have the whole team firing on that area. We lost quite a few tickets on the first cache and the last, but we pulled it off. GG
        Viking

Comment

You don't even realize how badly we wanted to drop mortars on you all huddled around in your main base.

Aside from joining late and being spawn killed a few times as insurgents, it was pretty fun. Oh, and Boogy ran us into a few .50 cals. Hehe.
          CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

Originally posted by DaViking View Post
            GG guys. Thanks for commanding Jafar, and thanks for letting my squad be the roaming recon ninja squad. I am sorry I got the cache in B1 as I am sure it would have been really cool to have the whole team firing on that area. We lost quite a few tickets on the first cache and the last, but we pulled it off. GG
            No need to apologize, Viking. You and your squad should be commended. Had you guys been unable to destroy the B1 cache, the main element would have moved in position to finish the job, albeit with casualties. Your surgical strikes on their undefended/outflanked caches bought your comrades the time and reinforcements needed to get the job done, and your intel gathering allowed us to focus our assault when pertinent. I knew I could count on you guys to be my ace card on the table, which is why I permitted your spec-ops action.

I'd like the names of your squad members; I owe you guys a ribbon nomination.

Comment

Insurgent point-of-view:

Up until the very end of the round, we left caches unguarded. You destroyed them. We bitched at one another, telling each other to defend the rest. Nobody did. You destroyed more caches. Queue epic ending.
              CR8Z: "No, I've not been good, but as an American, I'm entitled to everything I want."

Comment

My success strategy playing as blufor on insurgency (particularly on larger maps) relies on my Theory of Killseeking Entropy:

-A defense priority emerges at a cache (was revealed or probed), resulting in a rapid defense deploying in anticipation of incoming hostiles.

-For approximately ten minutes, the cache gets progressively harder to kill as firing positions are established and traps are set. Players with regular guns patrol in a somewhat organized fashion, hunting for the enemy while remaining relatively close to the cache. Most attacks attempted during this time result in heavy casualties, with varying degrees of success.

-For 'n' amount of time following this period of defense, the cache guardians, due to inactivity and perhaps a desire to kill the enemy, fan out away from the cache, hoping to find and eliminate squads that may be nearby (in order to get their kits). These makes the cache susceptible to two types of assault, the failure of one which promotes the other:
                =A small, mobile fireteam that focuses on stealth, approaching the cache area while avoiding contact in order to pinpoint the cache, and eliminate it if the opportunity presents itself. This can result in the enemy becoming more paranoid of stealth movements, and thus either fanning out to search for a FOB or second squad, or weakening the perimeter by adding home guards. This makes the cache susceptible to:
                =A massive, focused assault of infantry backed by close armor, jeep, and FOB support, aiming to break the scattered defenders and penetrate to the cache before the defenses can be tightened. Speed and quick victories are important here. This often results in the enemy effectively stalling the offensive (especially when dealing with city caches), but the sheer force of the attack requires a lot of manpower and careful positioning, making it easier for a small, mobile fireteam that focuses on... you get the idea.

A good analogy would be dual-wielding a broadsword with an assassin's dagger.

Comment

I think i caused the round to last that long.I managed to get myself killed 6 times as a civi( martry ofc) in the first 30 minutes of the round(+1 more at later stages but got arrested x2 as well). I think this caused 2nd and 3rd and even 4th caches to remain hidden for an extended period of time.

Comment

How long did the round last.

The 189th Infantry Brigade: Taking the 'the' out of psychotherapist since 2010.

XFire: mrthomasking

Comment

Epic convoy.

Comment

after the first cache it took about 30 min for new intel cause of killing civis. (i remember the insurgents had about 110 death and no new intel)

the caches at the end of the round were hard defended by insurgents, one of the best defence i have ever seen. (saw ontop of buildings, techies patroling, ...)

the cache we got in d4 was pure luck, we thougt the insurgents were going for our fb there but 1 building south there was a cache.

this was a game were i think that the game was played like it meant to be played for both sides.

thanks to Jafar for commanding, viking as sql and gore reviving me 10+ times. also the team for the patience while waiting for new intel.
                        good work on insurgent side, made our job very hard to do.

| | | |

Comment

The core of my squad is in GoreZiad's convoy picture. I also had [R-MOD]Mongol and A_Mustang for the first 1/3 of the round, but then they disappeared. Maybe they crashed or had to go quickly, because they just left suddenly, unannounced. Also, once we got down to the smaller four man squad we were able to move quicker and sneak in easier.

The defense on the last caches was really hard. We tried to sneak in a couple times but at least half the insurgent team were on roofs constantly searching. I think we had 3 SAWs shooting at us at one point, a few RPKs, a US sniper rifle, and a few marksmans among other things. I had a feeling when I saw such a heavy defense that both caches were in the area. I have seen in the past where the US team burned through 200 tickets to get 1 cache to break through a similar defense. In the end, Bullseye called out what he thought was the cache, it was in a Jabal building I had thought of earlier, so I spoke with Jafar and he had the whole team focus on that one building. I think we had maybe 20 tickets left (or less) and when we were at 6 tickets GoreZiad through 2 incendiary grenades in the window and then went in. I believe he said there were like 10 guys inside, but he was able to get the cache burning. Then Jafar, who was behind GoreZiad, threw another nade in the window and finished it off, winning the game at 6 tickets with half the team holding spawn.
                          Viking

Comment

The last push into the city BLUFOR made for the cache in B2 was a great fight, and showed the limits of organized, large scale assaults into urban areas by BLUFOR. From what I gathered talking to OPFOR players, INS were not that organized, and save a couple squads were zerging. This unintended strategy of having a couple organized squads running close cache defense, techies, and bomb cars while the rest of the INS just ran towards contact, died, and repeated, is in fact the best strategy to counter a large offensive of the kind BLUFOR launched.

Initially the BLUFOR assault is very well organized, with line INF running on the flanks of strykers and HMMWVs towards the objective. Once contact is made with OPFOR, the zerging begins. This trickle of INS attacking the main force is not nearly enough to stop or destroy the assault, but it does slow it down significantly. Every casualty BLUFOR takes means whatever element took that hit becomes static for a time. That period of medics doing their work or vehicles being repaired allows the organized INS elements to strike killing blows with bomb cars and techies. Still, the assault pushes on, albeit much more slowly and with less strength. Eventually the remains of the assault force reach the objective area, and there meet the toughest resistance from the organized element that was engaged in close cache defense.

If the INS were able to maintain the strategy of "zerg assault and defend", then it is exactly at this point the remaining BLUFOR deep urban assault force becomes out flanked and surrounded by the zerging INS forces, while simultaneously dealing with the remaining close cache defense elements and technicals. This is the deciding moment where luck and tactical decisions by individuals on the ground leads to a blown cache and a wipe for BLUFOR, or just a wipe.

Last night's round ended how it did because of luck. I was discussing the last cache defense with the SL of the INS element doing that job, and here's what decided it in the end. I was a BLUFOR SL whose squad had been killed and separated, but I had managed to pinpoint the cache location and get behind the building, coming at it from the north alone. As I approached the stair leading up to the second floor cache room from along the north side of the building, an ammo techie came screaming in from the north and crashed into the wall inches from me, trying to crush me. I put a few rounds in the driver as he tried to get out, leaving the vehicle immobile. Just then another INS opened fire on me from across the street, with the newly arrived techie providing enough cover for me to drop that guy too. I turned the corner to look up the stairs into the cache building, and there was the INS SL laying in a wait. I put rounds into him, but not enough to kill him, and he dropped me. That INS now had to retreat into the room to patch up, however. Because of this small retreat, according to the INS SL, a lone BLUFOR SAW player was able to get up the stairs and spray the cache.

A huge, well organized assault into the center of a tight urban area that cost BLUFOR 100 tickets came down to a failed ramming attempt, fortuitous cover and bullet deviation.

There has to be a better way to take these sorts of objectives.

Here's my suggestion Jafar - utilize your analysis of INS Killseeking Entropy even in deep urban assaults. Probe the objective area with the large assault force enough to attract the zerg. Pull back slightly into an area that allows you to prevent the force from being out flanked. Strong point long enough for the INS to be drawn away from the cache. Then send in the Small force to take the cache out from the INS weak side. You can do this with the recon element that spotted the cache building, and maybe had the dicipline to stay out of contact for the whole 10-15m while the large force does it's thing, or an element mounted in HMMWVs, or an air assault.

Others have suggested this strategy before, but I've never seen it done.
                            Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

Was a good round, you guys did a good job defending againts bombcars until..
                              -oG.WarrioR-

|?|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...