The Story of the Technical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Story of the Technical

Really good read about the ubiquitous Insurgent/Rebel vehicle of choice.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/14/w...ota-hilux.html

Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Re: The Story of the Technical

You need some Technics on the back of that Techie.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

An experiment conducted by British TV show Top Gear in 2006 offers one explanation. The show’s producers bought an 18-year-old Hilux diesel with 190,000 miles on the odometer for $1,500. They then crashed it into a tree, submerged it in the ocean for five hours, dropped it from about 10 feet, tried to crush it under an RV, drove it through a portable building, hit it with a wrecking ball, and set it on fire. Finally they placed it on top of a 240-foot tower block that was then destroyed in a controlled demolition. When they dug it out of the rubble, all it took to get it running again was hammers, wrenches, and WD-40. They didn’t even need spare parts.
      ****ing hell!

And we wonder why American cars can't compete.

Comment

the video link to that segment is awesome. I love Top Gear.
        Stay together, communicate, don't give up.

sigpic

Comment

Pretty awesome read. I loved the Top Gear trial as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytman View Post
            ****ing hell!

And we wonder why American cars can't compete.
            "It’s ubiquitous to insurgent warfare. And actually, recently, also counterinsurgent warfare. It kicks the hell out of the Humvee.”

Geez...
            |TG-6th|Belhade
            "I am actually looking forward to watching Jon and Kate plus 8." - Dirtboy

Comment

FTA
              The truck even has a war named after it: the so-called “Toyota War” between Libya and Chad in the 1980s was dominated by fighters using the light, mobile Hilux. Indeed, Africa, says Kilcullen, is where the truck got its nickname as a fighting vehicle, “the technical.” “When [nongovernmental organizations] and the U.N. first went into Somalia,” he says, referring to a period in the 1990s, “they were not able to bring their own guards. So they got so-called ‘technical assistance grants’ to hire guards and drivers on the ground. Over time, a ‘technical’ came to mean a vehicle owned by a guard company, and then eventually to mean a Hilux with a heavy weapon mounted on the back.”
              I never though to actually learn why they were called technicals.. thats interesting.
              Q: How many members of Congress does it take to change a light bulb?
              A: None. There is nothing wrong with the light bulb; its conditions are improving every day. Any reports of its lack of incandescence are delusional spin from the liberal media. That light bulb has served honorably, and anything you say undermines the lighting effort. Why do you hate freedom?!?

Comment

And they ain't just for insurgents or militias, either! I've read that SOF in Afghanistan love it to pieces.

| |

Comment

Of course they beat the humvee lol, it's a civilian sector vehicle doing what it's designed to do: go offroading and haul equipment. The humvee is, if I recall correctly, designed more as a scouting vehicle with terrain like the Fulda Gap in mind. Last I looked, Afghanistan doesn't look a whole lot like the german forest or grasslands.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X