Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tactics : Survive Public/Ranked Servers With Sanity Intact

Ranked servers without losing your mind "101"

Howdy, first post though I've been lurking here for a week or so. Here are some ideas I've found useful while playing ranked servers with all the smacktards.
    My background is one of teamplay intensive PvP on other games, with prior service in the US Army as a Cavalry Scout...quite frequently we would find ourselves in the "Army of One" mode while in the field...(i.e. pick your own targets and keep the enemy off balance until someone could get a fraggo from higher). And, unfortunately, most ranked servers are about the same. When faced with the daunting task of not losing your mind while surrounded by the bunny-hopping, Team Killing, non-squad using, where is the Commander and that arty I asked for servers, remember that your favorite kit will have that unlocked weapon soon, and to keep at it. After you get it, it's up to you if you want to continue to hit yourself in the head while trying to make sense of all the morons around you.

Select your kit, and associated vehicle/strategy accordingly. I went for a two pronged approach...Engineer/Armor (SCOUTS OUT) And Special Forces/Airborne. Granted, unlocking two weapons means I'll be suffering the ranked servers for a while yet, but these are two forms of gameplay that can be done "lone wolf" if you have to.

After kit selection, check out the squads...most likely they are a bunch of goofballs Running around like chickens with their heads cut off, but you might get lucky. Also take a look and see if the commander slot is open...I'll make another post in regards to commander selection. If there is an option to make a squad, make a custom and name it "ARMOR" or "SPECOP/SNIPER"...clearly labeling it gives you an excuse for kicking any yahoo that joins and starts to
    whack-out...and if a like minded squaddie shows up, make a friend and hope to see them again. My personal theory is that a lot of the "Solo" players are actually folks looking for a squad worth a damn, but as my wife reminds me I am often wrong. An Armor Squad is self-describing, as is a recon sniper/specop squad...it gives a place to squat for all "TEH SNIPERZ", and who knows, maybe they will identify something once in a while for the non-participating Commander.

As an Engineer/Armor player stuck with morons, the quickest way to die is to try to repair another players vehicle...sure as sh*t the driver will run over you the first chance he gets. So get yourself into a tank ASAP. Once in your tank, your options consist of moving out to engage the enemy, or pulling defense/repairing the Arty/radar/UAV...an often thankless job, but it gives you something useful to do. And chances are a "lonewolf" from the opposing team will eventually show to blow them up...greet him warmly with the .50 Cal on your tank.
    If you decide you want a larger piece of the action, move up to a CP closer to the front and mine the most obvious vehicle approach. Sure, chances are a yahoo from your own team will run over them and slam you with a teamkill, but dropping your mines on a likely approach means that's one less drive-by you have to suffer through. Try to pick a choke-point, or a turn in the road that doesn't give the enemy driver much time to react. Then defend, or move on to another CP keeping an eye open for aircraft...and that means all aircraft. I wish I had a dollar for every team jet jockey and rotorhead that lit me up without proper target identification. Then again it could be payback for a landmine...TK payback is a bitch, and avoid it...you just end up kicked. Remember, repair/kills/tank-time = Rank to get that weapon unlock.

Special Forces/Airborne solo play is similar, yet reversed as to the Arty/radar/UAV etc...(duh) In this case, while surrounded by screaming hordes of
    morons, jump in a jet and haul ass for the enemies main base...if you feel like attacking targets on the way, be my guest...but you are not a jet jockey, you
    are a mobile pain in the ass of the enemy commander/troops. I suggest you fly the jet the long way around, get a lot of altitude and drop chaff when needed...then aim the jet at the enemies base and bail-out from on-high. Enough of these and you get a nice shiny Airborne badge and can wear a raspberry beret to impress the ladies with.
    Once you parachute in behind enemy lines, take out the UAV. That puppy will get you killed, as the UAV shows your location to anyone looking at it on the map, while radar just shows the enemy commander your location. Then take out the Arty. Whets that you say? Not enough C4? That's when you move away from the arty and ask for a supply drop...remember, you made your own squad and can ask him for a care package. This is where you are dependant on your commander...if he blows you off, you are going to have to get re-supplied somehow, and being a solo you are up the creek. But on the chance the Commander is paying attention, he might drop you some supplies...and almost guaranteed he'll drop those supplies right on the arty you
    just destroyed...now the moron is healing the enemies arty, run in and load up on C4 and re-blow the arty that got repaired, and all remaining arty. If through some miracle your moron commander didn't drop the supplies on the arty, all the better, but don't bet on it.

Now that you are re-supplied, the arty is gone, UAV is gone, you can take out the radar if you want, but I usually don't bother...sure, more boom-boom, but in my experience if the enemy commander can hit radar once in a while he's usually happy with all his toys lying there in smoking heaps.

If the enemy sends folks over to repair...take them out with the c4 charges you used to booby trap the smoking arty with...or use that nifty rifle that SPECOPS gets...nice zoom. Now here you are, behind enemy lines, still have C4 and are wondering what to do with your solo-self. Now is when the "pain in the ass" factor kicks in...my favorite move is to get to the enemy airfield and throw a C4 satchel onto the cockpit of a jet...they are sticky. Find a nice place to chill-out unobserved and keep that detonator handy...if you get really lucky, the jets will get enemy pilots and take off. Remember, these are public ranked server smacktards...that red skull-n-crossbones on their windshield is not going to be a deterrent. Blow them up at your leisure...but to
    really annoy them, let them take-off...let them fly around a bit...let them think that it's some kind of graphics glitch and that couldn't really be a C4 charge inches from their face. A little heads up to C4 slingers...the detonator transmit range covers the entire map. When the enemy jet jockey least expects it, blow them out of the sky. This can be especially effective if you are running back towards your own CP in the hopes that a support guy can reload your charges, and the enemy jet is attacking you and you blow them up...only happened once so far, but I whooped so loud I woke my wife up from the other side of the house and had to leave the game with my tail between my legs...(worth it, absolutely).

So that's some of my techniques for surviving the galactic idiocy I encounter on the public ranked servers.
    Thanks for your time, and I'll post more as the fancy strikes me.

Seraosha
    SCOUTS OUT!
    Last edited by Seraosha; 06-30-2005, 06:28 PM.

Re: Tactics : Survive Public/Ranked Servers With Sanity Intact

Hmm, good strategies. I agree with what you said about lone rangers, often times they're the ones who actually want to join a squad. If I were to unlock the weapons for Spec Ops, am I able to use them in the |TG| server? Nice writeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Fetch
      Hmm, good strategies. I agree with what you said about lone rangers, often times they're the ones who actually want to join a squad. If I were to unlock the weapons for Spec Ops, am I able to use them in the |TG| server? Nice writeup.
      Right this second, I don't believe we have Allow Global Unlocks set to 1 on either public server. All kits are available to all players on the private server.
      [volun2]
      NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
      Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
      <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
      <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

That's a helluva first post!

Comment

are you kididng me i dint know they where unlocked in there.....geeze-o-petes.....im speach less..
          that sounds like a good idea trooper.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have not had the pleasure of playing on the Tactical Gamer servers, as I'm concentrating on getting the unlocks, but I'm looking forward to it once I reach the goal I set. And I have many many more tactical/strategy guides rattling within my skull, but I still need to see if the game allows a consistant cross-over from actual combat tactics.

Oh yea and getting a squad together that doesn't scatter like pollen in the wind upon re-spawn.
            ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Seraosha
              Oh yea and getting a squad together that doesn't scatter like pollen in the wind upon re-spawn.
              ;)
              It still can happen here, but isn't likely.

If you get a squad that is full of pubs, well, it's like herding cats. But it's up to the SL if he wants to put up with that.

The admins are a call away, ready to kick anyone that doesn't follow orders. The threat of that is surprisingly effective.

Comment

Very good info Seraosha. I have not played with the engineer or special forces kit very much. Time to go practice.

Comment

I have not had the pleasure of playing on the Tactical Gamer servers, as I'm concentrating on getting the unlocks, but I'm looking forward to it once I reach the goal I set.
                  Get those cool little dog tags under your name, play on the private server and get ALL of the unlocked weapons. :D
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sattakan
                    Very good info Seraosha. I have not played with the engineer or special forces kit very much. Time to go practice.
                    Hey, Sattakan, I noticed your (and Seraosha's) tags...what's the |TC| tag? Tactical Conflict?

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
                      Hey, Sattakan, I noticed your (and Seraosha's) tags...what's the |TC| tag? Tactical Conflict?
                      The clan name is "The Collective", we've been playing together since '03, and are branching out into other game platforms besides The Matrix Online.
                      Not too many playing BF2 yet, but hopefully that will change.

Comment

The clan name is "The Collective", we've been playing together since '03, and are branching out into other game platforms besides The Matrix Online.
                        Not too many playing BF2 yet, but hopefully that will change.
                        Well, introduce them to us. We ourselves (Tactical Gamer) are not a clan, but alot of clans come here (The Gamer Syndicate, Team Element, etc...).

And make sure you guys check out Tactical Conflict, or Clan/Team subsidiary as well.

Comment

My personal strategy for surviging the public/ranked servers?

Don't.

That's it. Pretty simple. I just can't stand playing anywhere but on TG servers. In fact, when I see enemy players on TG servers with rank icons, I try even a little harder to make their day miserable. Is that bad? Am I too biased?
                          |TG|MileHighAko
                          |TG-7th|Ako

Commander's Log:

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, I know most of us that play BF2 have been by here once or twice. As to avoiding the issue by never playing public servers...more power to you man; apparently the Army didn't beat the masochistic streak out of me.

Another tactic that an Engineer and Special Forces kit can employ is the mining and demo of bridges...a couple of mines like book-ends on a bridge get the yahoo's coming and going...and using C4 (atleast 3 concentrated) or 5 (spread out a bit) on a bridge can be oodles of solo-fun. Wait for the big "Zerg" rush down the road, looking like the indy 500 in their hurry to die senselessly...let the jeep with only one guy zoom past, and as the tank rolls up (blocking the swifter but less robust APC filled with wild-eyed caffeine enhanced teens) blow the bridge/tank in one go...then watch the apc get stuck hull-down in the gaping hole...too small to escape, too big to go through.

As the bunny-hoppers come streaming out pick them off like midway targets.

Comment

Hey folks, another TC member here. Thought I'd stop in and say hello.

I'm generally a SpecOps due to the overwhelming amount of fun involved in throwing a C4 charge on some dimwits tank who thinks he's invincible, and just thinking about how bad they'll scream at their monitor when I blow them to kingdom hell!

Seriously though, my preferred tactic was mentioned above: parachuting to the enemy base, and being a general pain in the arse. The best map to do this on, I've found, was the demo map: Gulf of Oman, as USMC. Grab a jet, point the nose at 30 degrees, and fly straight to the enemy airstrip. Parachute at about 400 feet, and come down straight on their tank (beacuse the folks spawning at the airbase arent interested in armour, they want heli/planes), and take it. So long as you keep an eye out for fellow SpecOps with C4 charges or AntiTank folks, you pretty much have full reign to take out their arty and any plane taking off. You'll rack up at least 15-20 kills until they figure out what the heck is going on.

I haven't done this extensively with the other maps, I'll let you folks know when I do!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X