WSO on F-15E and Su-34

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSO on F-15E and Su-34

I think everybody knows that the WSO hits the RMB to toggle between head-up (view out the canopy) and head-down (FLIR display). And both the pilot and the WSO should be in the same squad to facilitate communication.

Head Down:
    The TV missiles seem to only work well if:
    1. The pilot has bombs selected, and the pilot's HUD is in air-to-ground mode with the IFF boxes showing for ground targets.
    2. The pilot puts the nose almost directly over the target, and the target is not more than about 30 degrees below the nose.
    3. The pilot flies nice and slow (~500kph) so the WSO has time to center the target in his FLIR reticle and get a lock before the target falls too far below the nose.

If you satisfy those parameters the missiles will pretty much rape enemy vehicles, one shot one kill.

You CAN shoot at targets which are not locked, and steer the missiles with the FLIR reticle, but this gives really poor accuracy.

Head Up:
    The WSO has a much better all-around view than the pilot. Once an air-to-air engagement starts, the pilot should call "air-to-air" so the WSO knows to get his head up and help the pilot spot bandits. Once the bandit is gone and the strike mission resumes, the pilot can call "air-to-ground" to tell the WSO that he is selecting bombs and the WSO can go back to the FLIR display.

Thanks to Strike Fear and |TG|Oct for their help with this. Feel free to tack on anything I missed.

Re: WSO on F-15E and Su-34

Sounds like great advice, I will certainly try to follow it. I didn't know that the pilot selecting bombs would help, but I certainly agree about a slowed speed and direct approach.
    Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
    [age-c1]
    [eng][air]

Comment

So you were seeing the lock box on the HUD while I was in FLIR?

I saw an automated message typed out "I have a lock" rio to pilot. Don't remember if it was audio/verbal.

The pilot is not able to "dumbfire" the A2G TV missiles without a rio, correct?
      |FDB|octavius

Comment

You know, it's stuff like this that really ticks me off. I mean, shouldn't the INSTRUCTION MANUAL tell us this stuff? Don't we have the right to know how to use basic features without needing a strat guide? Really cool info btw. What's WSO stand for? I know what you mean, but I can't figure out the acronym.

I mean, we shouln't have to FIGURE THIS OUT for ourselves.
        --JP

Comment

WSO obviously means Wombat Stripper's Onlooker...duh...

Comment

No, seriously, what's it mean?

something Support Officer?

EDIT --> I reread my post above and realized the final sentence of mine ("I mean seriously we souldn't have to FIGURE THIS OUT for ourselves") LOOKS like it has to do with the WSO question, but its really just reinstating the whole instruction manual telling us how to play rant
            --JP

Comment

It's the weapons system officer. Guy in back.

I talked to one of them once, and he said they call the pilots "nose gunners". :)

Comment

Originally posted by octavius
                So you were seeing the lock box on the HUD while I was in FLIR?

I saw an automated message typed out "I have a lock" rio to pilot. Don't remember if it was audio/verbal.

The pilot is not able to "dumbfire" the A2G TV missiles without a rio, correct?
                Oct there's no visual indication of lock for the pilot. Just the little boxes/triangles/circles that show each vehicle and whether it's friendly or enema.

I saw and heard the lock messages.

And right, no dumbfire.

Comment

Originally posted by JediPilot
                  You know, it's stuff like this that really ticks me off. I mean, shouldn't the INSTRUCTION MANUAL tell us this stuff? Don't we have the right to know how to use basic features without needing a strat guide? Really cool info btw. What's WSO stand for? I know what you mean, but I can't figure out the acronym.

I mean, we shouln't have to FIGURE THIS OUT for ourselves.
                  Seriously, the manual should explain each vehicle and it's weapon systems...just like how artillery wasn't explained in BF1942...game devs are getting lazy with the manuals...I hate having to figure stuff out from other people.
                  And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

I doubt it's so much lazy, as it is they want you to buy the Strat Guide. Every game has a Strat Guide these days.

As for the acronym, I have no idea. ------ Systems Officer sounds right. I'll stick to my Wombat Strippers though.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X