Landmine tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landmine tactics

First, as a new member I'd like to say hello. You've got quite a community here, and the quality of play on your servers is first-rate.

My question is a broad one -- What are effective tactics for landmines? I find that I more frequently than I wish (on other servers) will have a friendly vehicle drive over one, and then get punished for tking. That happens despite warnings sent out over chat.

I suspect, though, that it's as much how I'm using the mines as how others don't see them that causes the problem. So, how do you use them (if at all)?

Some of my thoughts:

1) Directly in front of enemy vehicles: Asking to die.
    2) Directly behind enemy vehicles: Usually doesn't get the vehicle, and still results in death.
    3) On roads leading to newly captured bases: Can be effective against counterattack, but friendlies tend to hit them.
    4) On roads outside enemy bases: Usually effective -- my favorite.
    5) In front of empty vehciles inside enemy bases: Fun, unless someone else from my side decides to jump in.

Thanks.

Re: Landmine tactics

Originally posted by dropshot
    First, as a new member I'd like to say hello. You've got quite a community here, and the quality of play on your servers is first-rate.

My question is a broad one -- What are effective tactics for landmines? I find that I more frequently than I wish (on other servers) will have a friendly vehicle drive over one, and then get punished for tking. That happens despite warnings sent out over chat.

I suspect, though, that it's as much how I'm using the mines as how others don't see them that causes the problem. So, how do you use them (if at all)?

Some of my thoughts:

1) Directly in front of enemy vehicles: Asking to die.
    2) Directly behind enemy vehicles: Usually doesn't get the vehicle, and still results in death.
    3) On roads leading to newly captured bases: Can be effective against counterattack, but friendlies tend to hit them.
    4) On roads outside enemy bases: Usually effective -- my favorite.
    5) In front of empty vehciles inside enemy bases: Fun, unless someone else from my side decides to jump in.

Thanks.

I tend to use mines in naturally occuring choke points near the bases. Areas such as the end of bridges, narrow passageways/roads with natural boundaries, and at the crests of hills.

If you're on foot, placing mines 100M outside of a base isn't a bad idea either. Most people don't really think of checking those areas for mines and tend to fly right through them in vehicles. Friendlies will at least see the icons marking the mine placement and SHOULD be able to easily avoid them.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Welcome to our humble group of gamers. (well, not quite). Remember to always tell youre squad where you are placing the mines. also check out the Battlefield 2 Rules, Announcments and SOP's

Comment

Yeah, place mines on the reverse sloop to your enemy if ya can. Ex. your side of a bridge, hill, or road. So when he is moving toward ya he wont see them until the last sec when he crests or if he does he will have to stop and make himself an easy target to back up.

If ya didn't know, engineers can pickup mines with their wrench just like fixing a vehicle.
        I have never tried to pickup planted C4 with an engineer, anyone?
        "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

Wow...I had no idea that engineers could defuse mines. Thanks for the hint!
          "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun."

Comment

I find mines to be most effective to your own teamates. So, join the enemy's team, put a whole bunch of mines down in strategic places and watch all your teamates run over them despite the big red skull and crossbones over them.
            Twisted Firestarter
            a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dropshot
              First, as a new member I'd like to say hello. We've got quite a community here, and the quality of play on our servers is first-rate.
              Sorry, but I had to fix your opening lines...

Welcome to TG and thanks for your support!
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Bommando
                The only time I have been able to use them with a high success rate is (surprisingly) as a sneak attack. Running up to a tank and dropping one in its path while the turret is facing away is very satisfying.
                Keep in mind that with the right combo of sprint/jump you can actually throw the land mines like a frisbee at the tanks, allowing a higher percentage of tank kills without getting caught in the splash damage.
                Twisted Firestarter
                a.k.a |TG| Harkonian
                sigpic

Comment

Never tried, but can you drop landmines if your sitting in one of those open back hmmvs. I also believe you can drop them when parachuting.

Comment

Mines are also great for dropping while in a boat...just have the driver skim along the shallows, and drop them over the side on the shallow fords...most vets avoid the bridges now. You can drop them from blackhawks, parachuting, and out the back of hummers.

And engineers can defuse C4.

But on the subject of TK...well, it happens. If folks ignore the red skull and crossbones, even after a team chat warning, there it is.

It's risky, but the payoff is when you kill an enemy APC full of baddies. If you can infiltrate the enemy armor/apc spawn point, just place the mines under the vehicle, or on top...they move, they die.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X