Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Commanders Rant.

Hi, all.

I've been playing alot of commander lately and do pretty well. I just have a few things as a Commander that I hate.

Infantry Shinanigans: Why is it, that whenever I call down an arty strike on an objective, you always run straight into it? I type your name and tell you to run away and you still proceed. What gives?

Solution: WATCH YER FREAKIN MAP AND LISTEN. If it lights up like Christmas, don't go there or run away from there. If you have a hard time remembering a few simple phrased in another language, turn your Comms to ENGLISH ONLY. And DON'T PUNISH THE COMMANDER BECAUSE YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

Infantry Rambos: Why do you want to run around and "rambo" all the time, and really get nothing accomplished? I can see a sniper or an SF guy, maybe. but gimme a break.

Solution: JOIN A FREAKIN SQUAD. Or make your own so the Commander can give you direction or help you. If you are afraid to be squad leader, cuz you don't know how to lead, just ask your Commander for orders, and except them. Keep your Squads together. a broken up squad is pretty much useless. If you want to win, Join a freakin squad. You get more points for teamwork, towards promotions too. :)

Strike @ Karkand (and other maps): Why would you want to go head long into a slaughter? (US forces attacking first MEC CP) When your commander tells your squad to grab the far CP, (32 player version) he has a good reason. All enemy assets are there. If you can blind them and start a pincher attack on the enemy, eventually you will have them stuck at 1 CP. When you let them keep all CPs, they will drain your tickets faster than you realize.

Solution: LISTEN TO YOUR FREAKIN COMMANDER. he has good reason to do things. he sees alot of things that you can't.

Defending Assets: ARTY, UAV and even SCANNER are very important assets to your army. Did you hear that? YOUR army. Yes, believe it or not those things can make or break an assault. Did you ever wonder how that guy knew exactly where you were? Called him a hack and every other name in the book. UAV, Baby. That's right. that thing that you just let die even when your Commander tells you to defend it. It may not be an actual objective like a CP, but it is just as important. If you get an order to kill some pesky saboteurs, just do it and then get back into the fray. Who knows, you may like it.

Same thing goes for enemy commander hunting. The enemy Commander is a very powerful asset. If he is occupied, (or dead) he won't be able to give his team valuable support. If your commander says he has found the enemy commander and for you to kill him, you should jump on that task, quick.

Solution: LISTEN TO YOUR FREAKIN COMANDER (again) He will understand if you can't get to right that second, and he will give you much help.

There is more, but I have to go. I will update soon. Ahhh, I feel better already.
    ']['(O)(O)]|_

eulogy

Re: A Commanders Rant.

Are you playing on our server? There is a similar server called tacticalgamerZ.com. We don't have any Z. On our server people are forced to be on squads and follow orders, it's either that or get the boot. And most people here won't run into an arty strike, much less punish the CO for it. Sounds like you found us by accident but you should really try our servers, you sound like you'll like em.

Comment

He has to be talking about another server because as Phelan Ward already said in TG servers you have to be in a squad or you get booted. Be sure to check this out Battlefield 2 - Official Rules, Announcements & SOPs http://www.tacticalgamer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

Comment

One thing that peeves me is when (SLs in particular) do not pay attention to the UAV in their area, and will leave a flag even though there is someone approaching it.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I have found that even here at TG there are SLs that dont like to follow orders. Sure, they accept your order but they do not execute or make excuses as to why they cant get from A to B.
          My biggest problem is when I send a squad to a base that we already own to defend it, the SL will inveriably take his time or question the order.... not realizing that I CAN SEE the enemy bearing down on the undefended flag.
          Gentlemen, I have not the time nor the inclination to explain my orders when I am your CO. There is a 'method to my madness' and you will need to learn to accept that. Regardless of who is in "The Chair" they are doing the best of their ability and directing as they see fit.
          I have been meaning to post a rant myself. Dont mean to hijack this thread. But from one Commander to another... a rant is a rant.
          Bottom line , FOLLOW ORDERS. Mission accomplishment is first and foremost.

Meat Drapes
          Meat Drapes
          -[OIJ]-
          Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

I have only had the opportunity to sit in the commanders chair on non-TG servers and as eulogy mentions above when the squads are spread out all over the map, that is the most frustrating. Completely impossible to direct a squad in a particular direction, when each player in the team is at a different flag..

But then again I know what it is like to be a SL on other servers (I have problems with the TG server, so I don't play here much) with less team work. The guys acccept your orders, only to move in the oppostive direction and do the "Rambo". And, you know, you don't want to sound bossy, it is a game after all.

Heck, I have had players join my squad only to be freaked out by me talking to them. They had no idea where the voice came from... perhaps the manual would be a good place to start... Sorry, now I ended up spilling my guts also... but hey, I feel a lot better also ;-) Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes...

Oh and: I guess the best SL or regular trooper is someone, who has been in that commanders chair. Then you know why you should follow orders - most of the time.
            - delanvital
            Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

I've played on TG JO server in the past, but not for BF2 yet. Is it always packed, so noone can get in.

Originally posted by Tempus
              One thing that peeves me is when (SLs in particular) do not pay attention to the UAV in their area, and will leave a flag even though there is someone approaching it.
              This really makes me mad too. What was the point of the capture if it will turn again in 2 seconds. Or when you call sniper 30 times and noone hunts him down, yet their whole squad is being picked off. ooh, I hate that.

I think I will have to give the TG server a shot. (see if I can get on) Where is it located?
              ']['(O)(O)]|_

eulogy

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes
                I have been meaning to post a rant myself. Dont mean to hijack this thread. But from one Commander to another... a rant is a rant.

Meat Drapes
                I hear you, Man. sic name, BTW. ew... roast beef curtains.
                ']['(O)(O)]|_

eulogy

Comment

Originally posted by Meat_Drapes
                  I have found that even here at TG there are SLs that dont like to follow orders. Sure, they accept your order but they do not execute or make excuses as to why they cant get from A to B.
                  My biggest problem is when I send a squad to a base that we already own to defend it, the SL will inveriably take his time or question the order.... not realizing that I CAN SEE the enemy bearing down on the undefended flag.
                  Gentlemen, I have not the time nor the inclination to explain my orders when I am your CO. There is a 'method to my madness' and you will need to learn to accept that. Regardless of who is in "The Chair" they are doing the best of their ability and directing as they see fit.
                  I see other SM's complaining about the same thing yet our private server is 0/48 every night. I doubt this would occur if we'd just play on the darn thing. :icon_frow

Comment

We should set up a game this week on the private server.

Comment

I always look for the priv server first, only to have to accept the populated one.

Now before this gets outta control, when I Command its only one or two squads that do this and not every game. Some squads are absolutly outstanding and some just quietly do as you ask. The bad ones are few and far between but can turn the battle in the wrong way. But as was said, its a game and I dont "go off" on a SL because he doesnt or cant seem to follow orders. I generally try to send those that seem unable to follow or unwilling to an objective that is close and something that they can acheive. But for those poor bastards that are a cut above the rest...you get sent to hell to do the impossible.
                      My solution for this is going to be a personal database of those that lead well and those that cant cut it. I like the game enough to spend the time doing it. But its not something easily shared... each CO will need to make his or her own decisions on who works for you and who does not.
                      Meat Drapes
                      -[OIJ]-
                      Operation Infinite Justice... the worlds largest clan. Currently enjoying a membership of over 1,454,500+ . We game in every climb and place. If you want to play/become one of us... visit your nearest Armed Forces recruiting station. I bet we have games you have never even heard of. They will be glad to help you.

Comment

Hey, I just joined up because Tacticalgamer is the only fun server to play on, people follow orders and give them, and it's just a blast. Anyways, what are the private servers?

Comment

get the ip from the Servers tag link at the top of each page. find the password in the Official Announcments , ect. thread.

Comment

I purposly run into an arty strike but I try to time it so I get in just after it is down (sometimes I arrive too early and die). The artillery clears the area but only for a few seconds (then they respawn if it is their own base).

Comment

Whereas I accept that COs can have a difficult time with SLs not following orders, as a regular SL i do find it frustrating when i am told to move somewhere when we are already bogged down and although I do get my squad there it does take some time, only to be asked in a rather unpleasant tone by the CO if I am actually going there / why I am taking my time about it.

I mean if I am in point A and told to move and my squad can't it can be for a genuine reason. You may see an enemy move into an undefended flag, but may not see the enemy APC that has just wheeled into the flag that I am at and is causing us a lot of grief. So if a SL does come up with an excuse it can be for a genuine reason.

"CO, squad 6, unable to execute that order, currently pinned down by enemy fire".

-- also many times SLs don't appreciate having arty strikes near them. I played with one CO, and he was literally chasing my squad around the map with 'friendly' artillery. Not saying that your points aren't valid (they are very valid), but I think that overall the real problem can be a lack of communication between SLs and COs.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X