What to do when pinned down by armor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do when pinned down by armor?

This is just a general question on how other SL's and squads would handle the following situation. This proved to be a bugger of a situation for the squad I was in last night.

We were in defense mode (squad of 6) in a hanger bay when 3 heavies rolled in (2 APC and 1 Tank). Luckily, I got the tank with the C4 I had prepared beforehand, but the APC's got in and kept us pinned down tight! The kept circling the area and covering each other very well. We were not dying because we were hunkered down so tight, but we were effectively out of the fight for a good 5 minutes or more. We had 1 AT that was ineffective because as soon as he would pop up to launch, he would be gunned down by the covering APC.

In this situation, what would be the "best" thing to try? I ran out right after one circled, attached C4 and blew it right before I died from the covering APC. I'm not exactly fond of suicide tactics, but in that situation we couldn't come up with anything different to try to get back on the offensive.

Any ideas on how to handle this situation best without sacrificing a squad member?

Re: What to do when pinned down by armor?

Smoke grenades work in tight situations like that. If you have a squad member that has any smoke grenades have them toss them in/around your position then the AT will have time to do his job without getting killed right off the bat.

If your squad is close enough together to get pinned down by a few tanks you should probably rethink how you are deploying for defense. You need to be spread out so that one lucky bomb run doesnt clear everyone out of the CP. Its good to keep a few people on the roofs or outisde the CP but in cover spotting for the rest of the squad... AT's need room to do their job so its best if they sit on top of buildings, or in bushes or rubble outside of a CP.

You also need to remember that in a situate where you are pinned down in a CP, the enemy is most likely taking the flag, and there will be ground troups coming in shortly to wipe you out anyways. It may be in your squads best interest to respawn elsewhere and then move in from outside of the base instead of wasting time pinned down.

Comment

One tank is worth far more than a squadmember who can respawn after 15 seconds, so I'd call that a good tradeoff. Once the armor is inside, there are not a lot of options left.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Don't forget, you can always ask your CO for support. Stay dug-in and keep them busy until your reinforcements arrive--remember, you're not the only ones out of the "war" for that 5 minutes... ;)

Comment

Like Rizzo says, it's at times like those that infrantry calls for air support.
          |TG-1stMIP|Mannerism​​​​​​​

Comment

last night in server one my squad just stayed down and drew the armours fire so another could AT-5 it and so on....then our own armour came in to help..
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper[SNPR]
              last night in server one my squad just stayed down and drew the armours fire so another could AT-5 it and so on....then our own armour came in to help..
              These are some of the best moments in BF2, IMHO. You're pinned down and call for support and a few minutes later you see a friendly squad come up over a hill and flank your enemy. Awesome!

Comment

heck yah to be pinned down commies everywhere...just firing to make noise and keep them at bay, in comes the tanks and APCs, and the ever-faithfull black hawk squad...mini guns a-humming....great times
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...