Brainstorming Strategic and Tactical terms and actions as they relate to PR

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming Strategic and Tactical terms and actions as they relate to PR

Please feel free to contribute as I don't have the time to definativley write on the subject yet. What is the subject you ask? Well its how do words in real military use relate to the realm and scope of PR? As there is some translation going on their is no exactly right answer to any single phrase, term, or idea; instead its just what applies the most.

To give an example I'd suggest the following:

A rout in real terms is defined basically as a disorganized retreat of an army or section of the army.

Another definition is:a complete (or near) defeat of a section of the enemy army in an area in such a way they can not realistically reinforce or counter attack without an effort to regroup.

In PR a rout would be most likened to the following situation: An army eliminates all enemy forward outposts in range of a specific region (objective) and also defeats the main squads in the region.

Re: Brainstorming Strategic and Tactical terms and actions as they relate to PR

A rout? More applicable term to those who don't research actual military terms: 'XYZ grids clear'

As with formations and whatnot, using military terminology and tactics other than the most basic (NATO alphabet for example) is illogically over-complicating things for those who don't want to bother. Not undermining your efforts, but its a little overzealous especially when it might confuse some.
    Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

Originally posted by dtacs View Post
      A rout? More applicable term to those who don't research actual military terms: 'XYZ grids clear'

As with formations and whatnot, using military terminology and tactics other than the most basic (NATO alphabet for example) is illogically over-complicating things for those who don't want to bother. Not undermining your efforts, but its a little overzealous especially when it might confuse some.
      I come from a Arma2 Community. To me PR is the most difficult because i cant use the same tactics, I cant use the same lingo, I cannot Squadlead the same way.

I have to dumb down my tactics. I have to remember that im only leading a fireteam and not a entire squad because PR cant have more then 6 people "yet".

I sometimes joke around with my squad and some of the other squadleaders giving us callsigns and setting up a scenario.

Terms I use

Bounding aka leapfrogging : the most basic definition is when 1 covers and 1 moves to a location.

I am the Infantry FOLLOW ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dtacs View Post

My goal is to write up a 'guidebook' of PR. An Art of War if you will. Therefore I'd like to keep a semblence of professionalism and realism; even if it is only a game. Routing the enemy is hardly something that needs to be researched; it is a really commonly used phrase for anyone with a passing interest in war. Envelope, flank, manuver, pursuit, all really common terms that can be applied to PR. Surely they'd not be used beyond the most organized of organized teams, but informing people of them and that they actually do exist to a degree in PR might be enlightening to some of the community. As a commander, if I was told by a squad they 'cleared' an area I'd only assume that its generally secure, if I was told they 'routed' an enemy, I'd assume that it was perfectly secure.

Now I'd want to involve interior and exterior lines, but those terms are hardly applicable, or at least I can't find an application. And I definately think this would be adding complexity for complexity's sake.

Comment

So you're developing this with clear knowledge that it is needlessly overcomplicated? Isn't that inherently pointless? Your time is your property, but wasting it writing an essay for a very niche group is silly.
          Its the decisions you make, when you have no time to make them, that define who you are.

Comment

I do not think the effort is overcomplicated. I think it is merely different from our current approach. (What I was saying was overcomplicated was trying to tie in exterior and interior lines, a concept which is far beyond value here)

The point of the matter is that I'm not creating ideas and concpets; they are inherent in PR and our thoughts of them. I'm observing them and taking note, and by finding an analogue between reality and game perhaps we can find new ways to approach certain concepts or at the very least make it available to those who wish to learn from our experience. Really, in the end, this is aimed at primarily creating more commanders. This is the realm of the commander's playbook.

For example:

This last PW night I particularily used the idea of routing (by an enveloping manuver) against the industrial complex. Of course when it came to the initial assaults I could not get the timing right between squads, and it never seemed we had the initiative that all offenses need to succeed. In the end I used the concept of concentration and surprise to, at the game's critical point, capture the defensive position we spent an hour harrassing, assaulting, and scouting.

From there our efforts of pentrating the enemy's front lines undetected in the south, securing a bridge head, and blockading the enemy supply routes with mines gave us the momentum we needed to pull off a complete cap out in less than twenty minutes from the first successful assault. Had not we had this structure, we would have lost industrial complex merely minutes after the attack due to a nearly immediate counter-attack from our south. This counter attack succeed in clearing us from industrial, however, we already had the next flag neutral making those efforts futile.

At any point prior, the militia should have counter-attacked the staging ground north of the industrial complex as we did not have the proper security while in the process of the initial (failed) assaults. In the end it was the fact that the militia forces were over extended at the train depot when we captured industrial that further allowed our momentum to carry us to victory.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X