Artillery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery

It would be great if when placing artillery there was an "outer edge" that delineated where the shells would not fall beyond. This would help in situations where you were dropping arty "danger close" to friendly units to take out enemies that are massed near them... Or maybe i just didnt notice the last time i was commander and this is actually in the game :|

Re: Artillery

When the arty sign appears on the navmap having been placed I have always taken it that the shells will fall within the solid red line near the edge, but that if you are within the outer red line at all you could be caught in the shell blast. Nothing to back this up as true, but seems to work pretty well. Dunno about when placing it tho as I've not played CO.

Comment

Yea after you place the artillery you get the boundaries, what i want is that boundary BEFORE placing the arty.

Comment

That would be a bit too unrealistic for my tastes.. Artillery is supposed to be imprecise..

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
          That would be a bit too unrealistic for my tastes.. Artillery is supposed to be imprecise..
          Oh, don't say that to a redleg... They'll start going off on how complicated it is for them and how they have to calculate the earth's rotation into every shot and how spectacularly precise their guns are "all things considered".
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

It might be inpercise, but you know when targetting a position that the artillery will fall within an area +/- some distance from the actual target point. That +/- distance should give you an area that you could use to avoid FF

Comment

That would be handy and I think the same should apply to the UAV.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by TEMM
                Yea after you place the artillery you get the boundaries, what i want is that boundary BEFORE placing the arty.
                Well, I hate to dumb it down and simplify it, but after a few uses of artillery you should be able to eyeball the radius from memory. Same goes for UAV. Whenever I call for artillery, I have a pretty good knowledge of where it will hit, and I adjust accordingly for enemy troop movement.

The radius for the artillery and UAV doesn't ever change, so you should be able to pinpoint it pretty good after your first few uses.
                [squadl]
                "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

and I adjust accordingly for enemy troop movement.
                  So you call it on yourself and run away fast then?? ;)

TEMM - just announce to the SL that you are putting an arty strike near them. That bit of warning can be enough for us SL's to get our guys safely out. Of course sometimes it is nice to be asked as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
                    Oh, don't say that to a redleg... They'll start going off on how complicated it is for them and how they have to calculate the earth's rotation into every shot and how spectacularly precise their guns are "all things considered".
                    Artillery is a Precise, Reliable, and Destructive extension of a general's desire to project his boot up the enemy's arse!!!!

SHOOT, MOVE, and COMMUNICATE!!!

KING OF BATTLE, FOLLOW ME!!!
                    "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

As a former 19D who has called for his fair share of arty over the years, and now gets to do it again in the comfort of his home-office, I'll tell you straight up, Arty lands where you tell howbat to drop it.

Taking the Earths rotation, windspeed, humidity, heat index and how much the howbat was partying in the rear with the gear and the beer into consideration, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                        So you call it on yourself and run away fast then??
                        Heh, nah. It's just using common sense in dropping artillery.

I've seen a lot of people call artillery down right on top of an enemy position. Now if the enemy were to stand still, that's great; but most of the time they're moving in one direction or another, and by the time the strike arrives it's well behind the target. I can't tell you how many times my squad has survived artillery because it ends up falling where we just were, and not where we are.
                        [squadl]
                        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

I can't tell you how many times my squad has survived artillery because it ends up falling where we just were, and not where we are.
                          One of the reasons I no longer stay as far behind my squad when we are on assault as I used to ;) But I think all us SL's are getting pretty good at predicting when arty is going to be dropped on us.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X