What should I expect from a "squad"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I expect from a "squad"?

Ok, so I'm a complete battlefield 2 noob, but I've been playing the bf series for qutie a while. So I played a couple of games on your servers tonight, and, well, it was less than what the forums make it out to be.

Even in the best of the rounds, our squad had me, the sl, and a sniper near each other, one guy in a tank driving randomly between spawn points, and another guy or two half a map away. Then we were ordered to move, and I think we left another guy or two behind. And when we did eventually see a little combat, it was 1on1. Not a squad vs a squad. So I think it was happening on both teams.

Anyway, the question I suppose I'm asking is: how close should a squad stick together? How and when is it acceptable to get into the various vehicles and leave the squad, maybe for a tactical reason? How often do you get fragmented squads like this?

At one point, it was only about 20 people left on the 64 player server. We had no commander, so I stepped in. I had 3 squads. But the same icons (helo's, jets, and blips with numbers, which I assume to be squad leaders) stayed green regardless of which squad I clicked on. At first I thought it was because maybe there were two different squaddies in the one vehicle, but the jet was an f-18, and that didnt explain the "5" guy. What's the deal with that?

Last noob question. Heet seeking missile sites (the one with the dual barrels and binocular reticule). How do I get them to work? Lock, miss. Lock, miss. Lock, miss. Lock, team kill. Lock, miss. :(

Re: What should I expect from a "squad"?

Welcome to TacticalGamer

Keep trying the TG servers. Ocassionally you join a squad that is'nt great on the teamplay side of things.

Were you SL of your squad? If you were it helps imeasurably to have a mic/headset and make use of VOIP. This helps to communicate with your squad and they will generally be more enthusiastic about sticking together and working as a team.

Try joining squads that have lots of |TG| tags on members names. That way you will almost definitely get a good team based game.

Comment

Well, I was on the tg servers, and most of the squads were full. I didnt want to join a 1 man squad, or a "jets" squad, so i joined the only other option, the 5 man squad.

Nah, not sl, and I was playing at a cyber cafe thingo, so no headset either.

Comment

I was thinking and I thought I should change my response...

The prime hours are where the best of the best comes together to play. Prime hours are after work evening times in US. That is when mostly mature players gather up to work in squads etc. Check us out during weekdays 6pm-12am or on weekends anytime.

If you really want to play with the best of best TG also offers Wednesday and Saturday night passworded games. That is when the people who only care about teamwork and who does not care about scores come together to have some ultimate fun.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        For further notes: Play little more often and check the forums for some good squad leaders. And give it some time and you will find yourself sinking into the TG community. I did.

To further appreciate the TG servers: Go into a ranked server and search for teamwork. Go into anywhere actually. After a pain and suffering of about an hour you will be back for more TG.
        -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        And at last I would like to say sorry about your first experience being poor, and hopefully it will bloom from now on. Make sure you read everything in here: http://www.tacticalgamer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=183

And Poor guy.............

Comment

Already did, I saw everyone new was being directed to it, so thought I'd save myself the trouble.

But the problem is I live in Australia, so playing with the late-night americans would mean I'm playing during the middle of the day (I think, east coast is gmt -4, right? and Aus east coast is gmt +10, so that puts you guys starting at around 8 pm ish, so starting for me at about 10 am in the morning). Which is possible but it would take some effort.

Comment

But alas, I dont play at home, rather at a lan cafe, so the mic isnt an option.

Comment

Yeah, I try to do that a lot. The query and command system is one thing I love so much about bf2, and it makes the loss of voice hurt a little less (I play a fair amount of halo 2 on xboxlive, and that comes standard with a mike).

Really, I thank you all for your replies, andit seems I was unlucky, but that only partially addressed my question. I want to be a good team player, so I need some very literal answers to the questions. Is it ok to walk 200 meters away from your squad to flank the enemy (without being told)? Is it ok to get in a vehicle, if you use it to assist your squad (infantry+tank combo, or something) or if you range wide, and use it to harass and pull troops into a trap, again without asking? How about covering your squad in a heli/jet, or spawning and piloting a black hawk, then coming to pick them up?

I just want to know how much... "freedom", or versatility a squad allows.

Comment

>>Is it ok to walk 200 meters away from your squad to flank the enemy (without being told)? Is it ok to get in a vehicle, if you use it to assist your squad (infantry+tank combo, or something) or if you range wide, and use it to harass and pull troops into a trap, again without asking? How about covering your squad in a heli/jet, or spawning and piloting a black hawk, then coming to pick them up? I just want to know how much... "freedom", or versatility a squad allows.

I'm going to answer this in a general manner... Is it ok for you to do what you asked above? The answer is: YES IF you are 1.) Helping your Team 2.) Are not too far away from coming back (If they need immediate help) 3.) You're doing what is right for the team in your mind. (If you're given an order and leave your post, you're wrong.)

I've died I don't know how many times helping some other bastard stay alive only not to get it given back in return. Many times I've wondered if its worth helping others or doing the Lone Ranger thing. But I like to believe that there are others like myself who want to work together as a team and are not about the points.

So hopefully I answered your question.

{NRNS}Death_Bringer

" Do you know that the Chain Of Command Is? It's the chain I BEAT YOU WITH until you learn who's in charge!" - Jayne - FIREFLY

Comment

Question about the cyber cafe thing...

Would it be possible for you to plug in your own USB headset?

My understanding, and why I have one on the way, is that the USB heasets play soundcard as well as headset. Which would mean as long as you have access to a USB port you should be able to get a headset up and running.
                  Assuming of course the headset defaults to a decent estting OR you have access to the volume controls.

Comment

Number 1 would probably depend on the headset, right? But I do beleive I could use the USB ports, I'm a fairly good customer there and I know the guys well, so they might let me... They allow you to use USB's to take saved games home, so I'd assume, yeah.

Thanks! Any good headsets to reccomend? Hopefully not to expensive?

But what about that commander issue? When you click on a squad on the left, do all the members' of that squads icons go green?

Comment

While it's true that peak time is Eastern Standard US, you can still get some good squads going in the off peak hours. At the moment it can be a little on the wild west side, but there are some European players that, because of the time zone, can't play with "the best of the best" but who are still damn good. I'd say give it time, get to know people and you'll soon know who you want to squad up with.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X