Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helocopter Do's & Dont's...

Death Bringer's Helo Tips:

1.) If all possible get a gunner to go with you.

2.) If possible, keep it steady for your gunner to properly aim at the ground targets and fire the wire guided missle.

3.) fly smooth as much as possible unless under fire (remember gunners get sick too!)

4.) remember gunners aren't always going to pay attention and will miss perfect shots you lined them up for. If you remember that good gunners are hard to come by, this will save you a lot of frustration. (It still sucks they are hard to find)

5.) A good gunner will keep you flying if you're a pretty good pilot

6.) If you're at the half way mark, start heading back for repairs. Most people who head back any less than that often die because they don't antisipate ground fire and someone on their tail.

7.) Take out the AA rockets/guns even if no one is there... they will take you out in a heart beat when you least expect it.

8.) Fly low and fly fast until you come up to your target... then go into a hover and if you have a good gunner, you'll rain hell on their parade. If you don't have a gunner (or he sucks) take out your targets.

9.) Learn to land on roofs, you can capture a flag this way!

10.) Use up all your missles before you go to your next target so it reloads. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the perfect shot and you have to wait for it to reload.

Please feel free to add to this...
    Death Bringer

"If I kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."
    -Malcomn Reynolds - FIREFLY

" Do you know that the Chain Of Command Is? It's the chain I BEAT YOU WITH until you learn who's in charge!" - Jayne - FIREFLY

Re: Helocopter Do's & Dont's...

Rkhanen´s expanded tips:

You are absolutely right. The only way to bring hell with the helo is the combination both a good pilot and a good gunner...and that is difficult to find...even within TG. Most are good pilots, but good gunners are hard to come by. Working together is even harder.

Heres more tips:

1) As a pilot make sure your gunner rembers to push "C" so he has a free view of the ground. Otherwise he would miss a lot a targets and threats.

2) You are right Death Bringer - always fly low!!. Do not move around in the free but conceal yourself in the trees & behind buildings until the immediate threats have been blown up. Always move along treelines and "natural" low pathways. This is were 3 comes in...

3) TV guided missiles fly long and have...tadaaa...a small camera onboard. Use this to your advantage. The missile will fly from the carrier to the rail road on Oman map, which i fairly long. If the gunner knows the the current map, he will also know the placement of the AA sites. As a pilot position the chopper far away from the dangerzone but close enough to make sure the missile reaches the target. When the pilot has positioned the chopper, the gunner fires the missile so that it flys 20-30 meters above ground level, depending on the terrain he expects to be flying the missile over. While the missile is in flight, the gunner rapidly scans for ground targets through the TV-view. If he sees any, he aims the missile via the crosshair and clicks. The missile will now divert towards the new aim point and kill whatever it is. Also use this to safely take out enemy tanks that infantry have called on the radar. Then you move in at mop up with the gun & ordinary missiles.

The gunner only has 1-2 seconds to do this, so one should practice for example on the Oman map setting up a local game.

4) When trying to evade you can use a barrel roll. It is effective as hell but can go very very wrong if you are not a good pilot. Make sure you have speed and altitude, give it full swing and make the barrel roll - nobody can hit you with this...but the ground can if you do not have 100% control all the way.

Comment

One thing you guys havent mentioned, and that I found incredibly useful, was learn to lead your targets, and if firing off single shots, which side of the heli they will come from ('spose this is more important with heli's like those in vietnam). You really cant do this by yourself in a local - you need moving targets. This goes horizontally and vertically, it seems to me that bf2 has a lot of people (well, me, anyway) overshooting their targets at first.

But all that is secondary to giving the gunner a good line of fire, as the other guys said. Just some advice, by a noob, for noobs... :D

Comment

if you ever see this Sig it's me NA Rapidfire (Wolfseven) I'm an excellent gunner.

And I still cant get my usb siatek gold joystick to work with the game anybody kknow why?
        Asus|i7x970|ddr31600mhz24gb|EVGA GTX680-4gb|1200wcorsairgldatx|CreativeX-F1extrem7.1|Win764bitpro|TrackIr4Pro/ir |JoystickCHFighterstick|SaitekpedalsPro|X52ThrtlCo ntlr|G15Keybrd|32"Lcd HDMI/DVI TV|

Comment

May have to update drivers on it. I'm running a Saitek Cyborg evo right now and it works great for helo flying, even if I'm still a bit under par.

I'm a great gunner and working on my piloting skills in single player on hard setting. It's a challenge and the AI cheats it's ass off, but I guess that's pretty close to online on some servers eh?

Comment

[QUOTE=bnsa]Death Bringer's Helo Tips:

1.) If all possible get a gunner to go with you. make that 2 gunners, 2 engineers, and if you bring a medic and support personell along for the ride the enemy is gonna LUUUUUV you :p

2.) If possible, keep it steady for your gunner to properly aim at the ground targets and fire the wire guided missle. whats the point of engaging the enemy if your crew cant line up a shot? keep her steady ACE

6.) If you're at the half way mark, start heading back for repairs. Most people who head back any less than that often die because they don't antisipate ground fire and someone on their tail. dont forget about CAPTURED heli pads, they are usually much closer than the home base

7.) Take out the AA rockets/guns even if no one is there... they will take you out in a heart beat when you least expect it. Now that sounds like some good advice

8.) Fly low and fly fast until you come up to your target...just incase you missed that Fly low and fly fast until you come up to your target...then go into a hover and if you have a good gunner, you'll rain hell on their parade. what did he say about flying low and fast?

9.) Learn to land on roofs, you can capture a flag this way! THIS IS HUGE!!! If you can capture the flag while hovering it will happen much faster than if you are on the ground....try it and note how much faster the capture time is

10.) Use up all your missles before you go to your next target so it reloads. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the perfect shot and you have to wait for it to reload.so true, I also make it a point to reload my rifle after every kill as well
            Warcriminal
            chillin n' killin wit authoritaaaaa!!

Comment

[QUOTE=warcriminal2]
              Originally posted by bnsa
              Death Bringer's Helo Tips:

1.) If all possible get a gunner to go with you. make that 2 gunners, 2 engineers, and if you bring a medic and support personell along for the ride the enemy is gonna LUUUUUV you :p
              He's talking about an assault chopper... not a blackhawk
              [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
              [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Re: Helocopter Do's &amp; Dont's...

[QUOTE=Mishkan]
                Originally posted by warcriminal2

He's talking about an assault chopper... not a blackhawk
                huh? oh yeah assault choppers....that's what I was talkin about...really I was :p The engineers and medics can jump up on the missile winglets and hold on. YEEEHAWWW!

STAND HERE!!!
                Warcriminal

Comment

Some Tips/Thoughts for Gunners:
                  1. Play as an engineer, that way in dire need the pilot can land in a safe area and you can repair without having to go back to base.
                  2. The mini-gun is good for soft targets: infantry, light vehicles & boats and other helicopters (its your best weapon against them in flight).
                  3. The missiles will own any ground vehicle or aircraft on the ground (or in hover).
                  4. Stationary targets are best for missiles but you can lead moving targets and if your really l33t (I usually miss fast moving targets) change the missiles target in flight but I find this fairly hard as the missile travels so fast.
                  5. Don't be a muppet and just fire at random things, this will confuse your pilot who may well think you are shooting at a real threat/target and attempt to line it up for you.
                  6. If the copter is hovering make sure you check straight ahead of you (fastest way is to switch to missile mode), the pilot may be trying to line something up for you.

Comment

Being a gunner for a pilot that can put you where you need to be, and hold steady long enough for you to take your shot, is a thing of beauty that us gunners pine for, and when we find it, don't want the round to end. Ever.

2. The mini-gun is good for soft targets: infantry, light vehicles & boats and other helicopters (its your best weapon against them in flight).
                    3. The missiles will own any ground vehicle or aircraft on the ground (or in hover).
                    Actually, your best weapon against the Blackhawk is a good pilot that can let the BH pass you buy, turn around and hover, giving you a good, straight, away shot with the guided missile. One shot, 6 kills. *giggle
                    5. Don't be a muppet and just fire at random things, this will confuse your pilot who may well think you are shooting at a real threat/target and attempt to line it up for you.
                    This is true in any vehicle. It drives me absolutely batty when someone in the same vehicle as me just randomly fires at trees, buildings, birds, clouds, etc. Not only can it confuse your pilot/driver/vehicle mates, it gives the enemy far more warning than the steady whumpwhumpwhump of the rotors or the bbbbrbrbrbrbrbrbrrbrbr of the motor. Don't shoot if you don't have a target, and if you have a target, don't shoot if you don't have a shot.
                    In the attack chopper, I generally spend the vast majority of my time in missile mode. If we're moving, we're moving too fast for the gun to be much more than random lead, if we're holding steady, there's a reason, probably a missile target. Hovering to take a flag is the exception here.

I know a lot of pilots practice hovering over flags, because that's a necessary skill, but find a buddy who can shoot the missiles and practice lining him up. Get on TS so he can direct you. It's huge, and when you can take out that roving Blackhawk that keeps stealing all your flags by chopperhopping - in one shot, no less - you make a big difference for the whole team.

Comment

>> It's huge, and when you can take out that roving Blackhawk that keeps stealing all your flags by chopperhopping - in one shot, no less - you make a big difference for the whole team.

Plus, If a blackhawk is fully loaded, you're looking at 14+ points for all those kills. Anyone knows... it slowly adds up!

Death Bringer

" Do you know that the Chain Of Command Is? It's the chain I BEAT YOU WITH until you learn who's in charge!" - Jayne - FIREFLY

Comment

Here's a crucial helicopter tip that I have discovered:

1/ Don't let Ronnie_Raygun fly a helicopter.

Comment

Another tip, when in an arial battle with another attack chopper, make sure the pilot is'nt CyMba. I learned the hard way not to mess with him....well actually I mess with him anyways, I just always ends in my death.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                            Here's a crucial helicopter tip that I have discovered:

1/ Don't let Ronnie_Raygun fly a helicopter.
                            OMG he's killed me b4! I jumped in his BH and when he went to take off we did a backflip off the back of the carrier and hit the ship at the waterline and died....RONNIE_FAWKIN_RAYGUN thats too funny!
                            Warcriminal

Comment

I also TK'd a teammate by landing on him whilst trying to pick him up. Jets I can do (especially with BF2's easy flight engine), but helicopters are just plain weird. Definitely agree with the Cymba post tho, he's a deamon in a gunship :)

From a SL point of view I'm getting more and more used to giving up a couple of ground guys for some helo support. Was working with Cymba in Oman and he did a cracking job of clearing out the buildings by the construction site for us to move in safely. Later that night my squad worked with Phelan_Ward's squad and they had the gunship.

Some damn effective stuff there. When you don't need him for an assault you can put him on a small CAP to hunt and kill enemy armour nearby.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X