Actions on Contact

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actions on Contact

Just a little general information pertaining to small units and a traditional method to react to contact. I've ripped this off of a couple of US Army FMs and tried to water it down to what might make since for us. If it helps or facilitates conversation, then it was worth the energy.

I'm very happy to see such interesting conversations about tactics in this forum. Small units survive on SOPs and battle drills. Some of you who are forming semi-permanent squads should definately be working on items such as this. They have nothing to do with the commander or strategy so you can use them in every game.

React to Contact (enemy fires on unit)

1. Each individual immediately seeks the best covered and concealed position he can find and returns fire.

(the trick here is quick perception of where the enemy is)

2. Locate the enemy and return well-aimed fire.

(keep the chatter to a minimum, use the spot function because everyone can immediately see that. That is more important than firing on the enemy, the survival of the squad depends on understanding the enemy situation so if you have information the first thing to do is make sure everyone knows. If in imminent danger at least call out "Contact, troops, north, out." Use cardinal directions, left and right can be confusing in the game.)

3. Make and keep contact with the squad member on your left and right.

4. Squad leader acquires status of squad combat power.

(what weapons systems do we have available. How long til the squad can respawn on the SL)

5. Access the enemy situation (size, composition, formation, etc) and determine a course of action.
    a. Fire and Movment - closing with and destroying the enemy. Normally this involves fire teams using a bounding overwatch to (leapfrog) towards the enemy.
    b. Provide base of fire. - keeping the enemy pinned or occupied while the commander coordinates another attack from artillery, air support, or another infantry squad.
    c. Break contact. - this may be necessary for small units on foot going against heavily guarded or armored threats. Remember, three guys and a light machine gun would never charge a tank, an apc, and 6 dismounts with grenade launchers. Get support, don't blindly send you squad in just because they don't really die in the game. Squadies get sick and tired of being thrown at flags like meat to the wolves.

Take it for what it is worth. If you like this sort of stuff, I'll come up with some more as we go.

Re: Actions on Contact

Would it be a good idea for, assuming a squad loses an engagement, but the sl survives, for the sl to run, and hide, maybe stalking the enemy squad? Then, 15 - 30 seconds later, when the squads is back, they can attack again, and make sure they kill everyone, by waiting until the enemy is entirely in the open.

Good idea? Common sense? Stupidity? I dunno. I hate being a noob.

Comment

That looks good. You are right about using spotting. I always want to yell out the direction and target.

I like your sig. How many rotations of NTC have you had to endure?
      I did three while I was stationed at Ft. Stewart, GA with the 24th & 3rd ID. Also one 4 month rotation to Egypt in '95 called operation "Bright Star"

Most of the time when we went to the field at Stewart we would have 4-5 round missions and nothing more than smoke and HE. At NTC we fired 25 round HE, continuous illumination for 45 minutes, White phosphorus, DPICM "Shells with 80 small AT explosives in them", and direct fire on old russian vehicles. We eve fired a few Copperheads :-)
      "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

Along with not really dieing, spawning on the squad leader is another of the built in advantages of BF2. We should use the squad leader to spawn on. I believe the idea was to keep the small units intact so they wouldn't be spread all over the place and thus ineffective. I believe it is ok for the SL to hunker down and gather his combat power for another assault given the game environment.

As for stalking the enemy squad, I'm not sure I would subscribe to that. That puts the squad at risk of compromise as they respawn on you. I would just hunker down in a covered and concealed spot capable of facilitating the respawning of the squad without direct observation of the enemy.

Enemy in the open should be engaged with artillery when available so as not to compromise you squads location. When the enemy is within max effective range of your squads weapons systems, you can engage with direct fire as a squad from a defensive posture. Coordinate the sectors of fire as best you can so that everyone is not shooting the same target and definately call out the priority targets: tanks, apc, crew served weapons.

I'm a noob, too. Don't worry about that. This community is about team work. Feel free to take part, we can all learn from each other.

And take my comments for what they are worth. I am just throwing in my two cents worth to facilitate discussion and contribute.

Comment

Redleg, you and I must have been a Stewart at the same time. I was there 93-98...4/64 Armor. Two rotations to NTC one as a Tank Platoon leader and one as an X0. My unit deployed to Egypt just after I left.

On the sig, did you notice the pic of my CO sleeping in the loader's hatch of my M1A1C? His tank went down just before LD and instead of jumping to a tank of his own or kicking me off mine, he chose to be my loader, of all things.

Anyway, as you can see his is mostly out of the vehicle on top of the turret and asleep while we were on the move across the Northwest potion of the box. Live fire, I might add.

Later, when we were one of the last two tanks alive he was too busy talking on the radio to load the main gun so we engaged zero of about 10 plywoodians in front of us. My gunner just about came unglued.

Now for the funny part: 10 minutes later after endex he dropped down in the hatch to review some reading material w/ pictures....you know. The ADCM drove up beside us looking for him, by NAME. He proceeded to chew his rear off for not engaging the targets. What did my CO do? He informed the general that my gunner failed to identify the targets!! No schrap. He did.

Needless to say it took every once of energy I had to keep my gunner, who was bigger than me, in the tank and away from him. He was, incidently, on of the top gunners in the battalion and his LEADER just sold him down the stream to save his on behind. PRICELESS.

Anyway, that is one of my most treasured stories of a loser. I case he is here playing now, I will add that I haven't disclose you name and I told you all this to your face...so don't be upset, just be somewhere else.

Comment

good information on "react to contact" Sabre...

of course we like this sort of stuff :) please continue whenever you can...

this is a very important concept and one of the reasons I very frequently use "hold your fire" order.

Some gamers tend to shoot enemy as soon as they see them. Deadly mistake for a tactical game. They expose the squad and risk the mission.

It is SL's decision to make if the squad is going to engage the enemy based in the information he gets from the fire teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre_Six_4/64
              Anyway, that is one of my most treasured stories of a loser. I case he is here playing now, I will add that I haven't disclose you name and I told you all this to your face...so don't be upset, just be somewhere else.
              sad story...

Comment

Redleg, you and I must have been a Stewart at the same time. I was there 93-98...4/64 Armor. Two rotations to NTC one as a Tank Platoon leader and one as an X0. My unit deployed to Egypt just after I left.

On the sig, did you notice the pic of my CO sleeping in the loader's hatch of my M1A1C? His tank went down just before LD and instead of jumping to a tank of his own or kicking me off mine, he chose to be my loader, of all things.
                Ft. Stewart '95 - '97 - Alpha Battery 1/41 Field Artillery "Automatic Steel"
                I was at NTC in '95 and twice in '96

We were the first battalion to deploy the M109 A6 "Paladins" to NTC and they were so new some other units fired on us, with miles equipment, because they thought we were OPFOR. They were not used to seeing artillery batteries that could keep up with the tanks :-)
                "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl."

Comment

SL should consider engagement criteria and trigger lines and communicate clearly the rules of engagement. You are dead on.

We don't have any in game graphics for command and control so we have to get creative with trigger lines, sectors, and engagement areas.

Comment

React to Contact (enemy fires on unit)

1. Each individual immediately seeks the best covered and concealed position he can find and returns fire.
                    My own thoughts on that go something like this:

Given a squad of this composition:
                    2 Fire teams (SL not on a fire team)
                    Alpha (3 Players) (Assault/flank)
                    Bravo (2 Players) (Suppression/cover)

Movement to contact:
                    If contact is infantry:
                    Bravo goes prone immediately and suppresses/attacks the enemy
                    Alpha sprints for cover
                    SL sprints for cover
                    Alpha attacks enemy with fire and grenades
                    Bravo sprints for cover

If contact is mixed vehicle and infantry:
                    Everything is the same, except AT and SpecOps kits should ALWAYS be among those that sprint for cover first.

If contact is vehicle only:
                    Everyone sprints for cover. Squad Leader and AT/SpecOps kits should try to be less of a target than the other players. The other players should try to draw fire. AT - don't pull out the big gun until you're going to shoot. They'll be looking for it as a target.
                    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                    - Lazarus Long

Comment

Would it be an idea for an anti tank to run around with his (say) pistol out? Cause the mp5 even is fairly recognisable, whereas everyone has a pistol. The thing is almost better at medium range too.

Comment

Samoth, I think you are still wearing the anti-tank rocket on your back.

"4. Squad leader acquires status of squad combat power. "

Well that's 80% of what causes you to fail or succeed. Hopefully the Army has prior lessons on how to achieve this! I think the basics are knowing where the rest of your team is, communication of enemy location, volume of fires at enemy, and successful decision of what to do (which battle drill to employ).

I classify engagements into 3 categories. Ambush, Counter-ambush, and "Bump."

If you have prepared a defense, see the enemy before he sees you, and/or initiate violence of action then you are the ambusher. If the enemy has done these things to you then you are the ambushee (counter-ambush). Most engagements outside of control points are "bumps" where both sides are unprepared ("bump" into each other). However, you cannot tell if you just bumped or are in an ambush so from a player point-of-view, there are just 2...ambush and counter-ambush.

We are still feeling-out the kits for BF2 but in the Desert Combat days, everyone used a kit that could kill a tank (RPG or Spec-ops mostly). However, I would say do not engage if you encounter a armor outside a control point unless you have more armor than you are engaging. Remember what your mission is--usually to take ground (flag)--and what your mission is not--ramboing around until you are dead! If the armor is inside a control point then infiltrate (not assault) and the destruction of armor triggers the take-down of the point.

I would have the engaged element (fire-team) do the above action-on-contact while the non-engaged element flank and the command element withdraw. Don't assume the enemy has seen all of you just because he has seen one of you (unless you're bunched up <10m apart from each other).

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X