Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Defence

Hi Team,

Having played battlefield a fair bit since getting it last week I have noticed a lack of understanding when it comes to defending a base. Here, I would like to open up a discussion, using a mix of real world tactics and game tactics, since neither on their own will give you the best outcome. This document is based on infantry only tactics, excluding the fact that you may have a tank or other assets at your disposal. We'll assume the following scenario;

You have started the game and left your UCB in the south. Your flag is located 250m and is on the East side of the map, near the edge. The closest flags to yours are 1 to your west - 200m, and 1 to your north, 300m.

Recon
    In a lot of games I see people get into the base and then sit inside of it, but the flaw of this is that you have no recon ability. For this scenario I would (ideally) send someone up high, watching for any enemy activity coming our way. Either up on a building, or on a hill over looking the base. If the first sign of the enemy to you is that they are coming through the front gate, you have lost the initiative. Having someone able to call in contacts before they get to the base allows you to prepare for them. If your recon guy has a good spot, he should be able to shoot into the enemy as the main group engages (and may be a good idea to have your squad leader take this role as you can then respawn on him, ready to take the base back should you loose it). Make sure you have all the routes covered, then pull your force to whatever location it is needed.

Party Gifts
    As your new come guest enter your base, have some surprises for them. Mine the main approaches into the base. Donít confuse this with a mime, as they arenít very effective. Anything that lets a vehicle through should be mined. If there are too many entrances to cover, then you need to do your best. In our above scenario, the two closest bases are to the East and North - so you'd mine these approaches if the enemy held them both. Remember that mines can also be satchel charges. If you SL (or recon guy) is up on the hill, before he goes he can lay satchels either around the flag, covering an entrance, or making sure all those little gaps in those fences each has a charge placed on it. From his vantage point, he can see when he needs to blow them.

Responding to Attacks
    Your recon guy informs you of 1 tank advancing from the East, and foot soldiers moving in from the north. As both entrances are mined, you know the tank canít get in, so your priority needs to be the foot soldiers. Your recon guy can keep an eye on the tank, in case the driver gets out, while the rest of you can move to set up your defence on the approaching foot soldiers. Your recon guy should be able to tell you what entrance they are approaching, so maybe on his call, all lob a load of frags at it. Whatever the case, you should have some sort of plan to engage the attackers on your terms (perhaps run out the base, and come round to hit them in the back). Whatever your tactic, you are much better placed to initiate it because you have had the valuable asset of prior knowledge. If only claymores came with another classÖ

Supplies
    Make sure you get a supply drop, preferably somewhere in cover and quickly accessible. As soon as you have laid mines, etc Ė resupply. For every contact you engage Ė resupply. I havenít experimented, but I know an engineer can lay more than he can carry. Use that to your advantage. As a team member, it is your obligation to make sure you have a maximum ammo load out whenever possible.

Stay Frosty
    Youíve got the base, and itís been 2 minutes and nothing is happening. Donít get bored. The enemy will come to you. Holding a base means holding points for those maps that have both teams gaining points for holding over 50% of the flags. If your side owns more flags, you win the game. Holding a base therefore is paramount. Since it doesnít matter what base, then try and grab the best base that offers the highest defence. Stay alert, replace any mines/charges quickly, and attack all contacts together with as much force as you can give them. :icon26:

I see a lot of teams doing none of these things and as a result they get creamed in the base because they didnít see an attack coming. Proper defence though is very hard because you are playing with different people each time (unless youíre already part of a team/clan/unit/gathering/whatever). Without training, it can be hard to muster up a good defence, but similarly, the attackers have the same handicap. The good thing about TG is that weíre all quite alike in how we play. Teamwork is higher than other places and discussing points such as the above brings up our level of expertise. Please add to this if you have anything relevant :)
    Jex.

Re: Base Defence

In a controlled environment this may work, but out in BF2 world you're going to end up with a lot of TK's because some dumba** kid is going to hop into the closest vehicle or buggy and speed off out of the base and BOOM! they're dead. (Or viceversa).

While this is as enjoyable as blowing up a MIME, it also hurts us.

You would have to have a close knit team, excellent communication, and no punks to ruin your plan. In theory it sounds good... find a server that you can make this happen without any of the above and you'll be ok.

Sadly, I speak from experience and gave up mining the entrances.

" Do you know that the Chain Of Command Is? It's the chain I BEAT YOU WITH until you learn who's in charge!" - Jayne - FIREFLY

Comment

Spread through a couple other areas, I posted my basics for flag defense. Basically...

1. Mine or C4 all openings in the perimeter that armor can drive through leaving 1 opening (preferably the back) with just C4 so friendy armor don't get trapped outside

2. Man all armor (let tanks be taken to front)

3. Man AA

4. C4 flag radius

5. Establish responsibility zones

6. Call for reinforcements 30 seconds before needed

Here are reasonable plans to stop all but a dedicated attack. All that should be expected of a defending squad is to defeat a hasty assault, give time for reinforcements to arrive, and require the enemy to commit enough resources to the attack that he exposes himself somewhere else (picked up by RADAR scans).

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

great thread!

I discovered that a wide perimeter surrounding the base in question is often the best defense. especially with bases that provide a lot of cover since you dont want the enemy rolling in and taking advantage of said cover. You also need an internal (your squad) early-warning-system as you cant always depend on the CO for recon. This type of recon needs to be a good distance away from the base (covering major roads), and would benefit being AT in nature. You might also want a pest that can disrupt large armored convoys.

man how I love a good defense

Comment

For vehicles on defense, I find one of the best things to do is HIDE them. If you do this well enough/get lucky enough for the attackers to not realize you have a tank in waiting, they can be caught totally unprepared, whether because they have no AT or because they didn't call for support.

When doing this try to keep it to the rear (based on where an attack is expected) and preferably outside the base "walls" so as to reduce the chances of hostile UAV picking you up. Always be sure to stay alert and be within a few seconds reaction time for supporting on the flag and squadmates. A single heavy vehicle can completely decimate an unprepared squad, but left obvious and out in the open is just a sitting duck for an observant attacker.
          Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
          [age-c1]
          [eng][air]

Comment

Originally posted by Lagomorph
            For vehicles on defense, I find one of the best things to do is HIDE them.
            Agreed, although in some areas it's really hard to hide vehicles. But I have hidden between buildings, or in vehicle sheds (or told my squaddies to) and waited until the enemy vehicle focusses on the infantry to come rolling on out as one big surprise.
            [squadl]
            "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

So you all like the idea of tanks sticking behind for defense?

I've always instructed squad DEFENSE! to secure a newly spawned tank only until an offensive squad needs it. I immediately let the CO know we're holding a readied-tank for an offensive squad. I'd rather have good SpecOps/AntiTank troopers on "D" than a tank but that's just me.

Comment

Our tournament server kept stats on the matches and tanks were too powerful to waste guarding a flag. So, I would send them to the front (front-lines). I would also ensure that armor spawning at main is always used as well.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

OK, after last night's DEFENSE! effort I noticed a few people actually need constant VOIP attention.

"What do you want me to do?"
                  "And how about now? Still want me to watch the bridge?"
                  "Bridge is clear. Nothing on the Bridge. What do you want me to do now?"

it seems some people arent cut out for defense.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus
                    OK, after last night's DEFENSE! effort I noticed a few people actually need constant VOIP attention.

"What do you want me to do?"
                    "And how about now? Still want me to watch the bridge?"
                    "Bridge is clear. Nothing on the Bridge. What do you want me to do now?"

it seems some people arent cut out for defense.
                    You splet DEFENCE! wrong :icon19:
                    Jex.

Comment

uhm...

Comment

Originally posted by marbhdroi
                        uhm...
                        hehe :icon20:
                        Jex.

Comment