Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guide to the Attack Helicopters and Missle Sniping.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide to the Attack Helicopters and Missle Sniping.

So basically this is a run down of the 3 attack helicopters, followed by a how-to with TV Guided Missles.

It is important to know the ins and outs of your attack chopper if you want to make a difference for the lives of the ground pounders. All the rockets are the same. It takes 7 rocket hits to kill a chopper. You will have much better success by carefully placing 10 or so rockets than spamming 14 in the general direction. Rockets should be used only after a TV guided missle misses or if in a dog fight with another chopper. Chain Guns differ from chopper to chopper as well as TV guided missles. Both rockets and missles have ridiculously little splash for game play reasons. You need direct hits to kill anything. I've seen a missle hit the ground under an APC, the APC get moved 10 feet, and it wasn't even smoking.

USMC - Super Cobra

Flight - Highly Maneuverable
    Chain Gun - Solid
    Missle - Excellent
    Notes - Easily the best of the choppers. The gun is effective and the TV guided missles are the best available. They show a little cross where they are directed and you can shoot into the sky and they have bar at the bottom of the screen that tells you how much longer the missle will last. The Cobra also comes equiped with a small target profile. This means hitting it with rockets is going to be tricky. Whether true to real life or not the cobra can do loop d loops and barrel rolls, provided it has a little altitude under it.

MEC - Mi-28

Flight - Sluggish
    Chain Gun - Excellent
    Missle - Poor
    Notes - The Mi-28 flys more like a Blackhawk than an attack chopper. The gun is the only one that will significantly help you in a helicopter dogfight. The missle cannot be directed into the sky and it tends to drop a bit as it flys. That means to hit a Blackhawk with it, you have to be above it or bring the nose WAY up. Also it is quite big, meaning it's not so hard to hit with rockets. To be used effectively it needs bring that gun into play. Which also means the pilots has dodge AT missles. It gets my vote for worst chopper.

PLA - Z-10

Flight - Solid
    Chain Gun - Poor
    Missle - Solid
    Notes- I like to call the Z-10 the Dolphin because of the arced back. The missle can be redirected into the air, unfortunately there is no target cross or flight time bar. The helicopter itself seems a bit less manuverable than the Cobra. Also it is a bit bigger. The gun...how should I say this...the gun sucks. It's only slightly better than a support gun. The other choppers have little boxes for gun reticles, if the chopper is still all the shots will falls inside that box. The Dolphin has big flippin circle, about twice the size of the box. Your better of shooting rockets at infantry than the gun. The Z-10 gets the #2 spot despite the chain gun.

Missle Sniping

They way I practiced for the TV missle is to go into single player and load up Daqing Oilfields on easy. Grab the Cobra or shoot it down if a bot takes off with it. When you get it tell any bot to bail out. (The bots actually get out!) Fly it onto the building to the left of your cockpit at take off. (You should be looking through the two closest Oil Cisterns.) After it landed creat a new squad and call for a supply crate to the right of you. Now switch to the gunner seat and start practicing with the missles until the crate wears out and call a new one. You should be able to hit the tank and the enemy chopper while it's in the air. The missles have the damage output of atleast one C4. You can take out enemy CO assets by hitting them a couple times. You can hit anything on the map thats infornt of you. Fly the missles across the map and take out the tank as he starts to drive away from the spawn point.

Missle sniping is HIGHLY effective and allows the chopper to stay out of most any danger. The chopper only needs to stay still long enough to fire the missle, after that the pilot can take off into any direction while the gunner flys the missle in. Friendly vehicles will have an X over them. If there's no X, blast 'em.

General Stuff

Alway take a gunner. The gunner should be the primary killer while the pilot keeps them alive, sets up shots, and takes care of chopper dogfights.

The Blackhawk is a big fat target to a TV Guided Missle.

A gunship squad allows the commander to point you in the right direction, its easier for the gunner to be the SL as he can put everything down and talk to the CO without crashing the heli. The gunner should also be looking at the big map ("M") from time to time to see if anyone has spotted armor/apc/AA so forth.

Gunner should be able to fly at least decently enough to get back to a spawn point and pick up a dead pilot.

Communtication is essential! The pilot should be calling out targets whenever he can, whether spotting or just by voice.

A little pet peeve of mine is people who try to lead ground pounder squads while in an attack helicopter. Airsupport squads are fine, but people on the ground need you as a spawn point.

*EDIT* - Added how IFF works.
    Last edited by Phelan Ward; 07-19-2005, 08:19 PM.

Re: Guide to the Attack Helicopters and Missle Sniping.

Fantastic! :)

Oddly enough, this is probably the most realistic thing in the game! :)

Now - the TV-guided missile doesn't give you any IFF, right? So, especially at out-of-sight ranges, what's your advice for making sure you are hitting enemy targets?

Do you have to click each time to change flight direction? Or can you hold down the mouse button and expect the missile to "follow your mouse" ?

Each time I've fired, I experience a nasty moment of disorientation after detonation, when my eyes go back to the cockpit, and I want to see if I made contact or a kill, but by now the pilot is looking somewhere else. What do you do for that?
    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
    - Lazarus Long

Comment

Originally posted by StrikeFear
      Each time I've fired, I experience a nasty moment of disorientation after detonation, when my eyes go back to the cockpit, and I want to see if I made contact or a kill, but by now the pilot is looking somewhere else. What do you do for that?
      I look at the text to see if it registered a kill for me.

As for how to guide a missle, the Prima Strategy guide says to click, not hold the mouse down.
      Telorn

Comment

Great work putting that together, job well done. Now to go off and practice.
        Oyee

Comment

Now - the TV-guided missile doesn't give you any IFF, right? So, especially at out-of-sight ranges, what's your advice for making sure you are hitting enemy targets?

Do you have to click each time to change flight direction? Or can you hold down the mouse button and expect the missile to "follow your mouse" ?

1) The missle identifies friendlies with a square with an X in it or just an X depending on your model. If it does'nt have an X go ahead an hit it.

2) I just click, I guess I should try click and holding.

3) I don't really experience disorientation, although I don't expect to be looking at the same thing, I just look to see if the "You Killled StrikeFear" text is there. Most of the time I know if I've hit or not.

Comment

Why couldn't you have posted this yesterday! =P
            I was up late last night figuring this out on my own, it's fun stuff once you start getting the hang of it though. I just shouldn't have started with the MEC one, it took a while to realize that was the only one that couldn't point into the sky; I thought I was doing something wrong.

Props for sharing with everyone who hadn't spent the hours figuring it out though. :)
            Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
            [age-c1]
            [eng][air]

Comment

Originally posted by Phelan Ward
              2) I just click, I guess I should try click and holding.
              The one time that I practiced this, I tried clicking and holding only to see the missile turn once and then sail straight on. Clicking each time I wanted the missile to move was the only way for me to control it extensively.
              [squadl]
              "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Tarpan, did you click and release to fire THEN click and drag ?
                Or did you click and hold while dragging?

I click and HOLD while dragging and it seems to work for me. I guess I should try clickclickclick and see the difference myself.

Comment

After testing it, click and hold does NOT work on any chopper. I was hoping it would be on the MEC, but it does not. If you have been click and holding, try click, click, click to see the remarkable difference.

Comment

I was doing the single click and guide before reading this.... Thanks for the tip and nice pwnage last nite Phelan.
                    sigpic

Comment

Thanks Joebar.

Something I wanted to add to the original but I can't edit anymore.

Ideal kit load out for an attack chopper is:

Pilot = Support
                      Gunner = Engineer

Somehow that support kit can carry around 8 hellfires, 56 rockets, and 900 bullets in one pocket. And since he has an unlimited supply of pockets, your good to go. The only catch is that the cockpit is to cramped to pull it out. He has to get out of the chopper and chuck it on the ground. Then the magical missle loading gnomes will take care of it from there. The engineer can wave his magic, shaped like a crescent wrench, and repair at the same time. This way you can carry a helipad where ever you go.
                      Last edited by Phelan Ward; 07-20-2005, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Somehow that support kit can carry around 8 hellfires, 56 rockets, and 900 bullets in one pocket.
                        Thanks, you made me pee my pants, THAT WAS FREAKING FUNNY!!!!!! lol man, rofl!
                        Oyee

Comment

Alright guys, I stand corrected. I spent about 3 hours just practicing flying helos on an empty server and I also landed an attack chopper on a roof by the flag closest the Chinese base on Dalian plant, facing the sea and hitting the middle coastal flag/sandbag "nest"(near the helipad with the other chopper spawn, on the coast) with TVMissiles and I hereby declare my past self a dummy and all my previous posts about TVMissile guidance to be ignorant poppycock.

Now, the fact that you can park on that metal shed by the flag and steer a missile to that flag(where the other helipad and attack chopper spawn is) is truly amazing. Seems you have to keep telling the missile to "go up" a tad so it doesn't fall into the ground, but I got to where I could hit that flag "nest" every time, or the propane/LNG tank by the other coastal flag with the dock and big iron girder structure(crane? drydock?)

I apologize to anyone I mislead. PhelanWard was 100% correct and I was apparently making shtuff up. Sorry.

Comment

Fantastic! :)
                            I always try and keep my eyes on the map. Just like a commander should take note not to ART a site with lots of friendlies, target areas that are friendly-light or better, no friendlies at all. Armor-heavy enemy spawn points without friendlies I would think is your best shot.

Comment

Missle Sniping

They way I practiced for the TV missile is to go into single player and load up Daqing Oilfields on easy. Grab the Cobra or shoot it down if a bot takes off with it. When you get it tell any bot to bail out. (The bots actually get out!) Fly it onto the building to the left of your cockpit at take off. (You should be looking through the two closest Oil Cisterns.) After it landed creat a new squad and call for a supply crate to the right of you. Now switch to the gunner seat and start practicing with the missles until the crate wears out and call a new one.
                              Thanks for the tip for practicing with TV missiles. I tried this myself exactly as you described and it worked very well. Then I got to practice in game with a guy named Frack (I think) piloting a Z-10. Great pilot by the way.

Herse

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X