High Altitude helocopter trick

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Altitude helocopter trick

The other night on TG, playing on the Mashtur city map, the MEC team was using a helocopter piloted by a SL to cap bases. Basically they flew the helo so high you could not see it, and the team would parachute down to the flag they had to capture.

As a USMC SL trying to defend against that, I was most unimpressed by the constant wave or airborne infantry, c4 packs and grenades that were dropping on my position.

While it was a very clever tactic it is also nearly impossible to defend against since the helo is too high for anti air to acquire it.

any thougths?

-Nyram
    Sarcasm - It keeps me from killing people.

Let me introduce you to the Chain of Command.
    It is this big damn chain that I beat you with until you understand who is in charge!

Re: High Altitude helocopter trick

It's a viable tactic. Granted wind should make their grenades and C4 nearly useless as they go everywhere.

In a normal situation, backup would obviously be called in the form of air support. Granted I know air support doesn't exist in this map. So what can you do?

Spread out...take cover. Make their C4 and grenades do the least amount of damage as possible. Hide a small distance away and do a surprise attack on them when they land.
    Telorn

Comment

I was part of this MEC squad.

Well, on Mashtuur, MEC has no choice but to go for the South East flag where the USMC Blackhawk spawns. When you have 5 kills and 25 minigun deaths, somehow your start and think like a wounded beast. So we flew high for the reason you stated above, with the hope of capturing the flag, or have the USMC dedicate the Blackhawk to chasing us.

Eventually, and after lots of skydives, we did cap the flag. You guys certainly defended very well. Blackhawk disappeared, and that was a big relief. We should have applied this tactic at the very beginning, because if I remember well, we never came back in black in the tickets count.

Comment

Its a viable tactic, and from TG standpoint superior to the wave BH over base and take it. At least troops are hitting the ground. Best thing to do is just spread out and take em out in midair, or C4 the land around the flag.

Az
        [age-c1][command]

Comment

The high hover is a tactic, not a trick. It can only be truly combatted in the air, using jets or helicopters.

Especially given the imbalance of the Blackhawk's miniguns, I think this tactic is especially useful for the MEC as a way of dealing with the Blackhawk threat.

Comment

Question, can you be killed while parachuting by being hit by either a jet or a helicopter? I was wondering about this because earlier today I parachuted right through an attack chopper's blades.

Comment

thanks for the replies. The input and differing points of view are very useful from the standpoint of someone who is new to TG, and though I have read the SOP it is good to know what is considered good gaming within this community.

As for the actual tactic I thought it was a stroke of pure genius. Though on the receiving end at the time it was a major pain in the A... backside.

Also I fully agree that the usual use of helocopters, of hovering over a flag, is effective but also unrealistic.
              Helocopters are expensive assets and should be treated as such. The blackhawk in particular should be used to ferry troops from the rear up to the frontlines, and deliver them to a safe location from which to mount an attack. Then to extract them, again from a safe location so that they might be re-deployed where they are most needed.
              (Given the chaotic nature of warfare, i use the term 'safe' in a relative context.)

It gets tiresome as a blackhawk pilot to be requested to pull right into a base to drop off or pick up, or even capture.. and then immidiately get shot down.... anyone seen blackhawk down?

again, thanks for the input. I'm sure there will be more.
              -Nyram
              Sarcasm - It keeps me from killing people.

Let me introduce you to the Chain of Command.
              It is this big damn chain that I beat you with until you understand who is in charge!

Comment

I thought of doing that but with 3 SLs in the AirBus. Imagine 15 players raining in on you? If they die they just respawn in the chopper and do it again. 8O

Comment

I was piloting this chopper and I agree with ABPositive here. The blackhawk on this map is ruthless so I was just trying to think of a way to combat the flag-capping. squad killing blackhawk.
                  MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

I started doing this in BF1942 on El Alamein, and I don't remember it being done before. You could fly so high, it would take over three minutes of free-falling to reach the ground. :-)

Comment

Good tactic but it can be countered. Get 2 or 3 people (1 if that is all that is available) into the guns on top of Jeeps, Hummers or Vans (tanks, AA, Buggies and APCs can't aim up enough) and start fireing, when someone sees the X, just keep unloading into that spot. You will take to chopper down in no time. Those guns are also good vs infantry charges, especialy if you can find someplace to hide the vehicle behind. I used this very tactic tonight when we where defending in mashtur, worked great.

Zarku

Sniper/Spec Ops/Pilot

Comment

Shooting folks as they parachute down is a violation of the Geneva Conventions.
                        As is using .50 Cal on Infantry.

If anyone asks, you were just shooting at their equipment.
                        ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Seraosha
                          Shooting folks as they parachute down is a violation of the Geneva Conventions.
                          As is using .50 Cal on Infantry.

If anyone asks, you were just shooting at their equipment.
                          ;)

What u mean I cant shoot at enemy personnel with .50cal? Oooops.
                          Power may grow from the barrel of a gun, but control....... stems from the 1st and the 15th.

Comment

I happen to think that this is a viable tactic, and would even go so far as to encourage/support its use. I was part of the defense trying to hold the base being captured this way and honestly it did look pretty damn cool to see all those guys parachuting down on you. By this alone I have vastly more respect for this than many other things I tolerate simply because it doesn't in any way break the imersion of the game. (I'd say it actually helped.) :)

Also, it really wasn't overpowered in any way. I felt like I was under about the same fire as I would have been with any full squad advancing on my position and since they were coming in by air you always knew about where they landed. (which btw was usually very spread out from one another making for some easy kills based on their disorientation adn lack of support/cover on landing.) Obviously the only problem is the difficulty in taking down the SL as compared to one on the ground but they *are* dedicating an air asset to this so it seems fine to me. (If they're USMC then thats one less BH to worry about, and if they're MEC/China...well they don't get BHs, so there.) ;P

Overall I enjoyed my experience of being attacked by this tactic and I look forward to trying it out myself. =)
                            Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                            [age-c1]
                            [eng][air]

Comment

Originally posted by Kojio
                              I started doing this in BF1942 on El Alamein, and I don't remember it being done before. You could fly so high, it would take over three minutes of free-falling to reach the ground. :-)
                              and remember how the guy would scream? then it would go quiet for a while, then BRRRRRRRRRAP!

I couldn't believe it the first time I heard the guy fart. I cracked up and immediatley hopped in a jet just to do it again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X