help needed: long distance shooting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed: long distance shooting

Hello, I am interested in receiving some instruction or help in the process used to correct drift based on distance and windage. Can anyone help me with this problem? I could also use some help with the SL/ Sniper binocs.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Re: help needed: long distance shooting

That's gonna be easy, there is no drift or wind in PR. Just bullet drop, in the case of sniper rifles only above 600 meters.
    sigpic

Comment

Like buf stated above, there is no bullet drop for snipers untill 600 meters distance. Although to hit a target from 600 plus requires you to shoot just above the head of the target. Ive made 900m shots in pr with the sniper but u have to be patient.

When you zoom into targets that are ide say more than 300m away wait 5-10 seconds before firing. This makes for a cleaner shot and the bullet goes where u want it to. If when firing targets at a distance you dont wait 5-10 secs you'll probably miss.

Comment

Ok, thanks.

I am also curious how to use the binocs that are equiped on the sniper and squad leader kits. Since there are times when I would want to spot something and light it up for the map or attack.

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

Radio and binos can only be used if you are the squadleader.
          The procedure is pretty much the same with both tools. Look at/laze/mark your target with SL marker, set distance, take a small step forward and call in target/support.
          To use the radio, select it and press right click.

sigpic

Comment

Any decent Sniper would recognize that he should be serving as a Recon element and would be a squad leader with at least one other spotter (medic). As Buf said the Sniper must be an SL to use the GLTD to full effect and to use the radio at all. Apart from that if need be don't be afraid to type out a CFF.

"CAS. Target at G4-5. Laze possible. Come West to East Fast with flares. Laser Guided Bomb. Tell when approach."

One thing to note both the GLTD and Radio are buggy. Many times the GLTD will not show you that you are lazing a target or simply wont stick.

Comment

Regarding shooting, 600-8oo meters should be right where your comfortable shooting. When shooting deviation has shorter times relative to your stance. Standing is your shortest and least accurate, then crouch, then you have prone which is your most accurate and longest( about 5-10 secs I believe). Big movements reset your deviation which means another 5-10 secs

Comment

Crouching can be very effective as opposed to the more common sense/RL position of prone. I have found that 'compass point spinning', ie traversing the scope laterally when prone seems to affect deviation, not 100% on this but I have had unexplainable misses. The reason I assume is that because your whole body 'spins' when prone in PRBF it affects deviation. When making the same tracking motion with the barrel in the crouch position the effect on deviation appears reduced.

Have a spotter, have him mark, communicate, have him call the shots. You identify targets within your field of fire, he identifies targets within the wider field of view the GLTD or Binos provide. 3 man team is not the way I would go, 1 too many players removed from the team pool for the task and harder to conceal. If you are doing true long range recon and target interdiction you should try to avoid putting yourself in a situation where a medic is required, ie where you are likely to be engaged in such a manner that you're first priority is medical treatment. The objective is not to be spotted, not to be decisively engaged (ie where you take casualties).

I would argue, in the context of PR player numbers, that when you take the unit numbers above sniper + spotter, ie add the medic you stop being a pure recon/sniper team and actually become a Force Recon element. Add an LMG and you become a Fire Support team. Adding the medic is effectively setting yourself up to fail what should be your primary objectives, observing and reporting and very long range target interdiction.

An actual SL kit works better as spotter as you have the choice of Iron and Intermediate optics plus the GLTD/Bino's (if I remember correctly). Furthermore if you are bino'ng the target and then see a HVT you have to switch to your long, stabilise (which can take 5-10 seconds dependent on range) and then reacquire your target of opportunity. That defeats the purpose of a two man team. The spotter surveys the whole target area, he has the full intel. The shooter should stay on the gun, on the scope. You communicate and as the shooter confirm back to the spotter which targets you can see, as your field of view is narrower. The spotter can then determine whether or not taking the shot is appropriate. Little things like whether or not anyone is looking in your direction, whether or not a second hostile is next to your intended target. Taking the shot at the right time can really help.

For example, you can take your shot when there is other audio distracting those in the target area, ie a helo is dusting off or a CO truck pulls up, the audio 'inteference' does make a difference. If two targets are clearly talking on mumble in proximity to each other, wait, more often than not the one will wander off to rejoin his squad round the corner of a building or something, this will throw the audio off. Also if he has just had a conversation with a non-squad member and breaks off it is quite likely he is now relaying that info to someone else in his squad now, all those little distractions can help mask your own audio sign and ensure your shot location remains a mystery just that little bit longer.

Apologies for the tangent but felt like typing that.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X