Air Combat Tactics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Combat Tactics

I just got a new joystick & am reliving the glory days of when I used to be amazing @ flight simulators and knew all the nice techniques to shake bogey's & stay on their tails. I'd like to start a thread for all the wannabe Top-Guns around to share their ideas.
    Things I'm doing pretty well at so far:
    Air-to-air dogfights
    Re-arming flyby's
    Things I'm decent at:
    Bombing
    Things I suck at :
    Landing to repair
    Shooting down helos (i can't get a lock until i'm too close and i shoot right past)
    Dealing with the siren when there is a map with lots of AA...i get confused as to when to drop flares

One of my favorite dogfighting maneuvers with a bogey on my six is to cut the throttle, hit a barrel roll with a bit of vertical torque (think corkscrew) to burn off excess speed
    then hit the afterburners to put me right behind if i do it right and he stays at a steady speed.
    Another good maneuver is what i think is called the S-turn. Turn to the left(or right), invert and immediately curve back the opposite way, roll & pitch back the original way and straighten - this should have lost you enough speed to put the enemy back in front and its not quite as disorienting as the barrel roll. This can also be helpful if you are behind a bogey and are closing too fast.

Re: Air Combat Tactics

Also I wonder if anyone ever played any of the JANE's air force games...they had incredible 600pg manuals detailing the proper techniques for all sorts of real-world evasive maneuvering. Ah those were the days...when we had manuals that taught us something other then how to use the HUD.

Comment

http://www.sci.fi/~fta/acmintro.htm
      resource i just found.

Comment

Is brushing a low to the ground/building/tree a good idea to avoiding an enemy plane? Cause thats what I've been using and I can honestly say I have never been shot down yet. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Phelan Ward
          Is brushing a low to the ground/building/tree a good idea to avoiding an enemy plane? Cause thats what I've been using and I can honestly say I have never been shot down yet. ;)
          No, they go over and say wow he made it, Missel lock {Dead pilot}

The best way to dodge a guy on your tail...

*Gasp*
          Wiggel around, turn as hard/fast as you can, then, withour rolling, turn the opposite way, so your flying down sideways. This way when they flip around to follow you you change directions once more... You should be able to double back on his tail...

This works for me, i cant explain it any better than i already have...

As for landing to get repairs, flyby with half speed, turn around and midway of the turn cut power, try to stay in the air untill your over the strip, then pull up and land... Practise it....
          Oyee

Comment

Heres how I shoot down helo's:

When i spot a helo:

If im on its tail i will fly towards it and try to slow down as much as possible, acquire a missle lock and let em rip. If they dont drop flares you are pretty much guarnteed a kill firing straight onto their tail.

The problem with flying one pass on their tail is exactly that though, those damned flares. The best way to aleviate this is to fly at the chopper head on, acquire a lock but dont actually fire your missiles. Most helo pilots at this point will their flares thus leaving them vulnerable to your next move... Continue flying past the helo in a straight line (if possible) then once the helo is out of your minimap radar, do a vertical 180 (ie climb straight up and over then roll to right yourself). YOu will now be bearing down on their tail from enough distance to acquire a good solid missile lock with enough time to launch at least two missiles. Having already dropped their flares they are pretty much sitting ducks.

If you run into a helo side, you pretty much do the same thing as i mentioned for a head on encounter. Acquire a lock on the side until they drop flares, but then instead of doing a vertical 180, do a wide (and i mean WIDE) turn. Make sure the helo goes off your minimap again and double back onto their tail, then let loose your missles after you get a good lock.

One tip to increase the odds of the helo pilot not trying to maneuver away from the missles is to not fire the figthers cannon at them while chasing them. Seeing the tracers flying past them usually makes pilots freak out and do stupid stuff like crash or throw off your missile locks. Now them crashing is pretty much fulfilling your mission of getting rid of them, but you dont get the kill and thats not cool is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_V!per
              No, they go over and say wow he made it, Missel lock {Dead pilot}

I think you missed the meaning of my post.

Comment

this may be a little off topic as well..but what are your favorite combat flight sims? i'm looking to grab some but i don't know of any newer quality sims.

Comment

First off situational awareness is paramount!!

Well, my fav flight sim is IL2:sturmovik, w/ Pacific Fighters addon.....as real as it gets. Although it is for prop planes and not jets. The prop planes are much more unforgiving. Get low and slow, you die. Try to snap roll after a high speed dive; wings rip off, you die....etc.

About maneuvers to shake and bake. Most of these maneuvers you guys are saying I have seen online and since I use my keyboard to control thrust I can change speed much more quickly than another using a joystick. Just FYI.

I have found the ol' Immelmann being immensely useful in getting that bogey off your 6. Basically, I try to do it out of a turn. Level wings, pull the stick back til you are vertical. Keep pulling til you are now inverted. Now, roll 180 degrees to get wings back level. Typically the other pilot will forget to throttle up and will not have the energy to follow you as you go vertical. WARNING! You will be slow at the top of the loop so be warned you can be vulnerable.

You can either do the loop aggressive and do a tight loop or do a lazy loop. If the enemy is expecting the Immelmann I will mix in a lazy loop so as to throw them off. They will be going for the typical aggressive loop and will be low of you as exit the loop. At this point you can continue the loop on over them for a gun run (as they will be just below you) or complete the Immelmann, bank and dive for terra firma.

In addition you can reverse the Immelmann to gain airspeed if you have sufficient altitude. The Immelmann is basically a tradeoff between altitude and airspeed.

Good luck and hope this is useful. See you in the "un"friendly skies!

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Here are a few of my tricks for losing people

1. Go wild and if they're in a jet with a better turn radius try and turn as close as you can to something and they'll often crash into it if they lose their awareness
                    2. corkscrew slowly
                    3. Head over to a friendly base with an AA gun up and just start circling there
                    4. If you can hold them off for long enough and you can find a jet on the other team start following that jet and start jerking up and down. (I've given people so many tks this way) The missile will often hit the guy infront of you its fired from behind. (can be followed up with next move)
                    5. Flare and pull up while slowing down and then just as fast head back down (straight if necessary) and then do an inverted loopty loop (so you're upside down traveling over the ground because normally people will attempt to follow your exact orientation)

You know you love my dogfighting ;)
                    [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                    [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Originally posted by Mishkan
                      Here are a few of my tricks for losing people

1. Go wild and if they're in a jet with a better turn radius try and turn as close as you can to something and they'll often crash into it if they lose their awareness
                      2. corkscrew slowly
                      3. Head over to a friendly base with an AA gun up and just start circling there
                      4. If you can hold them off for long enough and you can find a jet on the other team start following that jet and start jerking up and down. (I've given people so many tks this way) The missile will often hit the guy infront of you its fired from behind. (can be followed up with next move)
                      5. Flare and pull up while slowing down and then just as fast head back down (straight if necessary) and then do an inverted loopty loop (so you're upside down traveling over the ground because normally people will attempt to follow your exact orientation)

You know you love my dogfighting ;)
                      1. the chinese fighter do having better turn radius...
                      2. Sorry, but this is a insta-death maneuver. You are slow but still going the same direction. Just FYI.
                      3. This is an extremely useful maneuver.
                      4. Yes, since the missiles are heat-seeking they will follow others.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

-If you are behind an enemy jet who is lolling about dropping bombs sneak up on him:
                        ---Approach with bombs armed
                        ---Pop on your AA missiles and scare him into dropping flares/defensive flying.
                        ---Immediately switch back to AG
                        ---Once you have passed his flares pull up AA. As soon as the klaxon for acquiring lock sounds fire your salvo (half of your AA armament). Do NOT wait for a lock.
                        ---As soon as you lock on, your fired missiles will correct course (they will be about halfway/quarter way to the target) and typically hit.

-Donít fire missiles during aggressive turns or before the pilot has dropped flares (shooting while acquiring lock will help the missiles close in and kill before the enemy pilot begins or gets too far into a tight turn)
                        -Only arm your AA to scare flares out, draw an enemy off a friendly target, or to fire.
                        -Use those guns. They never overheat!
                        =============================
                        Defense
                        -------
                        -Know the capabilities of who's attacking you (which jet, it's maneuverability, and the pilot).
                        -Use your cockpit-look and front chance camera view to watch for incoming missiles.
                        -Learn how to fly adequately from front-chase view.
                        -Know whether or not your jet can out turn GA or AA missiles.
                        -Count missiles as they go by. Fighters have 6 and bombers have 4. GA have 2 before a 15 second reload.
                        -If the enemy has unloaded on you, simple turns will keep enemy guns off of you. Gotta love the HUD in these 'advanced' fighters.
                        -Save your Afterburner for aggressive turns when in a dogfight.
                        -Learn how to "throw on the breaks" and against all of the laws of physics come in behind your aggressor. Gotta love BF2 flight physics.
                        -Use your wingman!
                        Last edited by Rincewind; 07-21-2005, 05:33 PM. Reason: Defense
                        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

1. yah, thats how I normally end up losing them
                          2. No its not small corkscrews larger ones while still traveling on a forward direction, if you just flip around I agree that you're instadeath.

Also ask Xeil how he loses people, because hes the only person that can lose me, or keep me from locking on. (I often get bored and fly off). And I don't know how the MF knows I'm on his tail when I never hit him. Although I've seen him crash so many damn times...

I'll post some offensive tactics in just a bit. I'm going to hate myself for giving all my little tricks away.
                          [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
                          [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

-Use your cockpit-look and front chance camera view to watch for incoming missiles.
                            -Learn how to "throw on the breaks" and against all of the laws of physics come in behind your aggressor. Gotta love BF2 flight physics.

Care to elaborate a little bit on this last one, by throw on the brakes do you just mean throttle all the way back or is there another brake control i'm missing.

Comment

My tactic is to turn the wrong way by accident and fly head on into wrcromagnum :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X