Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 3 Minutes

the first 3 minutes scramble!

OK, I'd like to discuss two things: 1) what do you guys, in general, like to see happen in the first 3 minutes of a match. 2) the BF1942 trend, "scramble towards the nearest flag immediately", seems to have carried over to BF2. which leaves me wondering if organized SQUAD manuevers should occur only after the nearest neutral flags are secure?

this would seem like common sense, especially if you've loaded the map faster than everyone else, any thoughts? [wait for slow-loading squad] or [charge a flag and regroup later]?

Re: First 3 Minutes

TG server has a time limit before it starts doesn't it? Therefore everyone should be able to get in. Whilst that time limit is counting down, is it possible for the Commander to apply and get ownership of command and then talk to the SL's and tell them where to go? Seems to me that being organised from the onset is a good advantage to start with.
    Jex.

Comment

this (espically on TG servers) is where a like 1 mins 90 sec timer should be set before the map load and mabye have a 45 sec commander vote. So for a good 30 secs at least the squads can get organized and the commander can give some orders. Thus making the game much more better from the start

*edit* Jex you beat me to it

Comment

the public servers do not seem to have a time limit. I'm often the first 1-5 players in and Im often without SQUAD for a minute or two. Im often at the first flag when the entire team has spawned.

Comment

Originally posted by jex
          TG server has a time limit before it starts doesn't it? Therefore everyone should be able to get in. Whilst that time limit is counting down, is it possible for the Commander to apply and get ownership of command and then talk to the SL's and tell them where to go? Seems to me that being organised from the onset is a good advantage to start with.
          I tend to get into the game first. I have reduced my video quality settings, not for that purpose though, but when I get in the game I have about 1-2 minutes before the battle really starts out, as more people completes the loading. I am often alone, w/o any squad members (i.e. they haven't loaded yet) so when I am SL I move out, giving my guys a chance to spawn on me, and therefore be closer to the flag... Sometimes I can even get to a flag, neutral typical when the game starts to move and I would have captured that flag before any enemy units reach me. I did that in Kubra dam last evening and we held the flag the game out. Not sure if this is cheating or not, haven't thought about it. Just didn't want to stand there and wait...
          - delanvital
          Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

A high percentage of the time, in whatever squad I'm in, that 1 - 2 minutes of 'prep time' is spent taking a piss, or grabbing beer/snacks ;)
            |TG|Syn - [defense] :row__572:

Comment

Originally posted by Syn
              A high percentage of the time, in whatever squad I'm in, that 1 - 2 minutes of 'prep time' is spent taking a piss, or grabbing beer/snacks ;)
              Hehe yeah, that also :)
              - delanvital
              Play hard, play proud, play TG!

Comment

Originally posted by delanvital
                I tend to get into the game first. I have reduced my video quality settings, not for that purpose though, but when I get in the game I have about 1-2 minutes before the battle really starts out, as more people completes the loading. I am often alone, w/o any squad members (i.e. they haven't loaded yet) so when I am SL I move out, giving my guys a chance to spawn on me, and therefore be closer to the flag... Sometimes I can even get to a flag, neutral typical when the game starts to move and I would have captured that flag before any enemy units reach me. I did that in Kubra dam last evening and we held the flag the game out. Not sure if this is cheating or not, haven't thought about it. Just didn't want to stand there and wait...
                LOL my specs are ALL low except geometry (medium as it draw peeps and vehicle further). I have to because even on low it gets choppy a lot of the time. I still get long load times though.
                Jex.

Comment

The freeze time when a round starts is 120 secs on the public servers, however with the 1.02 patch that seems to have been overwritten. We'll get that fixed.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

As far as the strat used, with the exception of Karkand and some others where a defensive team is entrenched, then yes, a random flag-grab is usually what happens. Since the commander doesn't know where everyone is going to be spawning and the squads usually move out in different vehicles (some in choppers, some APCs and some on foot), it's best to just see where they're headed and guide them from there.

Choppers can be used to capture distant flags early on, though, so should be used in that fuction.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

One thing that is commonly overlooked is the defense of the main base, whether it be UCB or CP. This really creates a headache for the CO when the team finally gets one. I've jumped into the CO chair multiple times a few minutes into the game to find that all squads have moved out on offense.

This allows the enemy to destroy assets, get a foothold behind front-lines, etc. If you are an SL, please make your first priority defense if no one else does.
                      |TG-12th| asch
                      sigpic

Comment

I still really want to see the freeze time...uh, "frozen" until *both* sides have a CO and *then* the 1 minute timer starts. This way you can be both certain of having a CO (At least to start with) and can at least make some feeble attempt at organizing squads and roles before the shooting starts.

I'd love to see a real military unit whip out the power point slides and start the briefing *after* they've already made hostile contact like we always seem to do in this game. ;P

- As an added bonus, such a potentially long freeze time could be really good at discouraging fragmonkeys from playing here, while the added time to think and discuss without much pressure should really help those new to CO and SL positions.
                        Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                        [age-c1]
                        [eng][air]

Comment

The first minute almost always sees a squad from each team attempt to take the farthest enemy rear flag. Just an observation.
                          [squadl]
                          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                            The first minute almost always sees a squad from each team attempt to take the farthest enemy rear flag. Just an observation.
                            I agree, which is why I like the following suggestion.
                            Originally posted by asch
                            If you are an SL, please make your first priority defense if no one else does.
                            Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                            [age-c1]
                            [eng][air]

Comment

I'm not sure if the CO can talk to the squads before the round starts, since there's not usually a CO that early in the game, but I know that the squad can talk to each other. So at least there can be some organization on the squad level.

As for what to do in the first three minutes, if I'm on a team that's defending (like MEC on Kubra Dam or Karkand) I'll try to blow up all the bridges that we don't need and mine the roads near the front line. If I'm squad leader, I'll call for my squad to spawn some Spec Ops or Engineers for that purpose. It certainly slows down the offense when their tanks have to come to a halt at the broken bridge.
                              Let them eat war.
                              XFire: billygnosis

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...