asking commander to relay to SL's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asking commander to relay to SL's

is it considered spamming the commander? I was playing Zatar last night and had got trapped at a back base without my squad facing incoming so I fought off what I could and c4'd the flag area. after it cooled off I started to head out, usually if I"m leaving an area I"ll blow the c4 but just as I look back there's squad 4 newly arrived and crouched around the flagg fending off a tank... now by the time I text my way through and get someone from s4 to notice that I mean for THEM to let the tank to the flag it's too late... but what if I said "SL there is c4 ready at the flag s4 is defending can you tell them to let the tank to the flag." then he said same to command, then he said same to SL4, pain in the umox I know, but SL's can't talk to each other so.. what's the right thing to do here from a TG perspective.

Re: asking commander to relay to SL's

thats all you can really do for now until we figure out how to communcate between SL's
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

I have had SLs request that I convey something to another SL. Works for me.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Solution: The Relay System

This is what C-Team has been experimenting with, and it works. It can apply to two squads or to many squads, and it doesn't matter what type of squad (air support, ground assault, special ops, sniper, repair, etc.) it is. It could be implemented easily for all of TG.

In the picture above, each squad is set up normally inside Battlefield 2. The Squad Leaders (green dots) communicate with the Commander and with their respective squad members using normal BF2 VOIP, and they determine the structure of their squads (two fireteams, three fireteams, a helicopter pilot and gunner, etc.) as they see fit. Nothing new here.

In each squad, however, is a special player called a Relay (blue dot). The Relay is a normal member of the squad, but he is ALSO in Teamspeak in a special channel with other Relays. Since only Relays are in this channel, they have their own comm net and are able to communicate with each other ACROSS squads. So whenever the Squad Leader of one squad wants to communicate with another squad, he tells his Relay which squad to address and what to say. The Relay passes his Squad Leader's message along to the other Relays in Teamspeak, and then the Relay in the squad for which the message is intended passes the message along to his Squad Leader. Each squad using this system would be able to communicate with every other squad on a team in this manner, and no player would ever have to manage more than two comm channels at once. Comm discipline would be important, of course, and the Relays would need to be especially good at it.

The ONLY players who would need to do anything out of the ordinary in this system are the Relays. They would need to be able to use both VOIP and Teamspeak simultaneously without technical issues. They would need to log into Teamspeak before play started each night and join their respective Relay channels. At any given time, there could be several Relays standing by in Teamspeak (kind of like a Relay "pool") for each team on both of the TG servers. Any number of Relays can join a squad in BF2, but only one Relay should be active per squad. If multiple Relays were in one squad, one would be chosen as the "active" Relay and the other(s) would mute any comm traffic coming from Teamspeak. The "dormant" Relay(s) would then play as a normal squad member for that round(s).

With this system, Squad Leaders could coordinate with other Squad Leaders on the same team, but they wouldn't be burdened with having to direct their squads in battle AND handling inter-squad comm simultaneously. Each Squad Leader would only need to address his Relay by using his normal BF2 VOIP squad channel, and then the Relays would take care of the rest via Teamspeak.

C-Team has tried this system with success -- it's fun! The level of coordination between squads on a team goes WAY up, and the Commander is free to direct the overall battle.
        Last edited by Strag; 07-22-2005, 12:51 PM.

Comment

thanks to the Strag's relay system, we defined a new role: Platoon Leader (PL) !
          Last edited by John CANavar; 07-22-2005, 03:54 PM.

Comment

CANavar, C-Team, and the rest of the uber-creative types here at |TG| are starting to make BF2 look more and more like BETA software, released 6 months too soon. We need to find some modders to make an official |TG|MOD!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus
              CANavar, C-Team, and the rest of the uber-creative types here at |TG| are starting to make BF2 look more and more like BETA software, released 6 months too soon. We need to find some modders to make an official |TG|MOD!
              walrus, absolutely. If we had some modders to do it, all that would be needed to implement the Relay system into BF2 would be another VOIP channel for each team that would be dedicated to the Relays on that team. We wouldn't have to work around things with Teamspeak. It would be damn cool to have.

Hell, things could be taken even a step further if we had our own TG mod. Any time a player took on the role of Relay, his in-game character could have a SINCGARS pack appear on his back, visually identifying him as a Relay. And then suddenly the Relay man for a squad would become a target of tactical significance (keep the Relay men down, and you inhibit communication between squads). :)
              Last edited by Strag; 07-22-2005, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus
                :) lets throw a motto: "Even if they (developers) dont build it, we can still do it"

Comment

"challenge everything (especially our sloppy, lazy, unfinished code)!"

"if it's in the (buggy) game... it's *in* the game!"

damn, I just want to be able to flag/beacon a spot on my map to pinpoint a position on my squadmates' maps. Starcraft had this... ARGH.

Comment

i like that whole relay system....im sure it works well too.....like ive said before in real combat you are not just tied to the CO you care tied to the SL's around you and the grunts in the theater of attack.....i cant mod but i can make graphic design stuff for this TG mod
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Strag
                      Hell, things could be taken even a step further if we had our own TG mod. Any time a player took on the role of Relay, his in-game character could have a SINCGARS pack appear on his back, visually identifying him as a Relay. And then suddenly the Relay man for a squad would become a target of tactical significance (keep the Relay men down, and you inhibit communication between squads). :)
                      ha ha ha ! poor relay man :)

Comment

Chain-of-command is very important here at TG. While the creativeness of this is impressive, one must be careful that command structures stay intact. Anything that turns out to be detrimental to said structure would be frowned upon here at TG.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                          Chain-of-command is very important here at TG. While the creativeness of this is impressive, one must be careful that command structures stay intact. Anything that turns out to be detrimental to said structure would be frowned upon here at TG.
                          Tempus,

Relay system was not designed to replace the commander. On the contrary, it is a system which will help the commander and take the micromanagement load off his shoulders.

Here is a scenario:

- Commander decides to attack flag X
                          - He assigns two squads for the job
                          - How to do the job is platoon leader (PL)'s responsibility
                          - PL sets the attack positions of two squads and coordinates the attack
                          Ex.
                          PL (in squad 1):"Squad 2, this is squad 1, we are in position. Attack the flag from north with the "go" order"
                          Relay Man passes the message
                          SL (in squad 2): "Copy that, squad 1, squad 2 in position"
                          Relay Man passes the message
                          Pl: "Squad 2, go "

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                            Agreed, Tempus, and this was never the intent. Quite the opposite, in fact. I see the Relay system as a missing link in BF2's chain of command. The Commander should not have to act as a messenger boy between the squads -- he's got too many other important things to do. Having squads communicate with one another does not subvert the Commander's authority, but rather complements it. The whole point of the system is to promote more communication and teamwork, and to solidify command structures.

As an example -- if the Commander orders two (or more) squads to attack an objective, having coordination between the squads allows them to work together better as they do it. The Commander is the strategist, and should rely on his tactical (Squad) leaders to get the job done after he's laid down his plans. The Relay system helps the squads do this.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X