Taking flags

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking flags

I know this sounds easier than it is, but when assaulting a flag, squads need to understand that you can sit on the perimeter all day and kill dozens of soldiers, but if you don't get on the flag and turn it, you're not going to be successful.

The objective should be to get on the flag, turn the flag, and then worry about clearing the area. Since the defensive team can spawn over and over, clearing the area before turning the flag is an absolute waste of time.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Taking flags

And the more people around the flag the quicker the flag will change. Too many times have I seen people sit outside the flag range then get killed 10 sec later by someone spawning around them because one person was trying to take the flag. If it is possible get a few people around the flag.

Comment

I usually have 2 or 3 people get on the flag, and the rest of the squad protects/distracts. That way the flag goes down reasonably fast, and we don't all get wasted by one counter-attack or artillery strike.
      [squadl]
      "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Yes you do need a few protecting because nothing is worse than the whole squad getting taken out by one grenade.

Comment

Don't forget to pop some smoke!

I've found that as a SL I tend to sit back so I can be a spawn point. In doing so the rest of my squad tends to sit around me. Normally that would be ok but... Just a reminder to the SL's to tell their squad to "GET ON THAT FLAG". "Rambo you take point, Hawkeye and Clinger fall in behind him. The rest spread out and watch their backs".
          flux
          [tg-c1]

Comment

This is where tactics adapted from real life come into play. Linked elsewhere are discussions on "wall flood" and "penetration flood." They are not "new" compared to the old "slice-the-pie" and "buttonhook (criss-cross). They are 1-level up on the tactics-to-strategy continuum. Change wall flood to "perimeter flood" and you have a basic approach on how to take-down a point.

Send a 2-man team around the left perimeter (clockwise) and a 2-man team around the right perimeter (counter-clockwise). These are your perimeter flood teams and they clear the guards shooting into the flag radius as well as any people waiting to ambush or rescue the flag. Basically, they fight their way into the flag radius.

Your final 2-man team goes straight to the flag and covers outwards. This is the penetration flood team and they get the cap/camp started. They should wait until one of the perimeter teams makes contact/engages and then they head straight to the center.

My recommendation is to put the squad leader on the penetration team that goes around the lightly defended rear of the flag. If you have armor, you need to choose whether the armor becomes a perimeter team or the penetration team. Both work. I tend to use armor as the penetration team but you need to get drivers who will throw caution into the wind. I have two mottos in the armored assault section of my boot camp:

1. Think "battering ram" and not "field artillery piece." Tanks are modern equivalents of mideval siege engines. Siege engines rush up to the castle and ram down walls and doors.

2. No flag was taken with a stationary tank.

If you operate in an environment that is notorious for biscuits and chocolate bars (mines and expacks), then the armor needs to be a perimeter team. The key element here is coordination so everyone hits the point at the same time. No sense in fighting double the number of defenders because you let them respawn.

We would practice a lot to get our squad into the objective from different directions at the same time including the armor. It works well since the jeeps are faster so they can give a wide berth, circle around back, and drop a capture team right on top of an enemy distracted by your armor pushing forward. The best way to practice this coordination is to practice against an empty flag (no enemies) on a empty server. This is a "walk" practice in the crawl-walk-run continuum.

Don't forget to have the proper force ratio for the attack. No amount of tactics is going to help if defenders outnumber attackers. 2:1 or 3:1 will take-down a flag with minimum friendly tickets lost. This is a good reason to have a dedicated armor team using armor from your main base to support the attack.

HTH

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/58Congo/

Comment

as a fan of the SpecOps-kit, I cant wait for people to start deploying ARMOR squads. Taking out a 3-Tank pileup using widely spread C4 will be my new personal mission.

someone start an ARMOR squad quick... I beg you.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                I know this sounds easier than it is, but when assaulting a flag, squads need to understand that you can sit on the perimeter all day and kill dozens of soldiers, but if you don't get on the flag and turn it, you're not going to be successful.

The objective should be to get on the flag, turn the flag, and then worry about clearing the area. Since the defensive team can spawn over and over, clearing the area before turning the flag is an absolute waste of time.
                I'm actually a big fan of siege tactics. You move in slowly, and pound the defenders until they decide that respawning is futile. If you do it well, you score a huge number of tickets, THEN you take the flag. A tank on the perimeter with a few infantry near it can make this work extremely well.

As a deployer of C4 near flags, I quite enjoy when opponents rush the flag.

I do agree in a way though. If your team NEEDS the flag, then they should sweep in quickly, killing the opposition directly around the flag just once on the way in.
                Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

I saw an interesting, albeit non-TG, tactic last night (dont remember who was doing it): This combat-sniper was capping flags while dropping claymores and then sniping from our almost-captured flag. New spawns would approach him and either be sniped or claymore'd! Even after he was killed, his claymores would stick around a little while and kill anyone trying to recap the now gray flag. guess what? boom! cant even respawn there anymore! thank you, come again.

combat sniper!

claymore blitzer!

ninja!

all I could say was my trademark... "nice"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed