Defending a flag

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defending a flag

It seems that defending a flag is a terribly neglected skill anymore. In reality, it should be the easiest thing to do, but a few mistakes are commonly made. These come from my observations as a CO. I can see the squad layouts and formations and the mistakes therein.

1. Scout and spread out. You need to know where the enemy is coming from. Get snipers out there to spot enemies before they get to you. Also, keep spread out to reduce the effects of artillery strikes.

2. Mine, mine, mine. Many flags are overrun by vehicles quickly entering a flag and turning it quickly. This can be nullified by laying mines at the entrances of compounds.

3. DON'T LEAVE VEHICLES EMPTY! The worst thing I see is squads leaving a piece of armor unoccupied, only to have a member of the assaulting team take the armor and then use it against the team. Don't allow this!

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Re: Defending a flag

- C4 around the flag is good too.

- Don't run around! Instead, split up the sectors to watch and hunker down. Wait for opportunities to ambush.

- a quick check and repair (if necessary) on the stationary guns and man them.

Comment

Also make sure somebody is within 2 second sprinting distance of an antitank gun
      (and AA if necessary)
      [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
      [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

Completely agree. Thats why Im always on your squad bommando. I love defense and your squad seems always to be the one providing it. Some of the bases are of such tactical importance that they need to be defended comstantly as was the case with the western chinese base on the dalian plant map today. Great job as SL and you definitely stick to your word as per the points you made in this thread. The whole place was mined to hell. Nothing they could do.
        MrBadass_88 -Tactical Gamer since 2005-

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
          3. DON'T LEAVE VEHICLES EMPTY! The worst thing I see is squads leaving a piece of armor unoccupied, only to have a member of the assaulting team take the armor and then use it against the team. Don't allow this!
          You can also let a Spec Ops put C4 on the tank, if one of your guys takes it, dont detonate, if the enemy gets it, blow it to pieces

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
          BF2142 Names:
          Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
          Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
          Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
          Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

My only concern with your strategy there, is that if you mine entrances and exits, it seems that many times people on your own team don't pay attention and will drive a full vehicle right over your mines.

The best way to mine in my exp is in the middle of the base close to the flag because usually they will reach that point sometime, and it leaves the exits open for your teammates that may be spawning and rushing out. Thoughts, comments
            [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
            TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by AntiVisual
              My only concern with your strategy there, is that if you mine entrances and exits, it seems that many times people on your own team don't pay attention and will drive a full vehicle right over your mines.

The best way to mine in my exp is in the middle of the base close to the flag because usually they will reach that point sometime, and it leaves the exits open for your teammates that may be spawning and rushing out. Thoughts, comments
              Depends on the map/base and how busy it is, not to mention what server/night you're playing on. Accidents do happen what with the fog of war and all but it's a rare thing when it's mostly TG regulars. If it's a busy base with plenty of pubbies online you might be better off using C4.

Anyway, it looks like the TK system is getting tweaked so we can only hope they remove TK's with mines or at least give server ops control over it.

Comment

Also, put your mines and C4 further out along the access routes rather than right at the entrance/gates. As Bommando eludes to, smarter assaulters won't come barrelling into the base because they expect mines, so they will usually park outside or drive around the perimeter shooting in. So you need to get them before they get in range...

Comment

The anti-tank players should also have an open view of the mines. Their best shots will come when the vehicle has stopped due to the mines. Nail them while they try to maneuver away.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Good points all, mine was mostly from my recent experience, which is probably when a lot of non regular TG players are in. That is usually who hits them anyway, but yes it still is the best place to put them when everything is working right.

I guess everyone has to adjust play depending on the conditions. I guess assess the situation and if you have a lot of friendlies in your area for some reason maybe try my tactic out?
                    [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
                    TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

I understand you Tempus. Some squads just cannot hold a flag. And it can make the CO's plan fall apart. Sometimes I even see 3 enemies take a flag supposedly defended by a full squad.

My D strategies are:
                      1. Have somebody on the highground if a highground available.
                      2. Watch all possible sides of contacts. Send a recon to S, W, E, N if neccessary.
                      3. MINE MINE MINE.
                      4. And offense of course. Once the defense team has found the SL position I always send 2 or three men to go around and flank the SL.
                      5. Call out enemy threats with directions.
                      6. If there is an Anti Air gun I leave somebody close to it in case a chopper comes in.
                      7. Vehicles.
                      8. Spread out avoid massive death by a bombing run or artillery.

That is it. 8 simple rules.

Comment

Originally posted by |=V=| B [Ssgt]
                        I understand you Tempus. Some squads just cannot hold a flag. And it can make the CO's plan fall apart. Sometimes I even see 3 enemies take a flag supposedly defended by a full squad.

My D strategies are:
                        2. Watch all possible sides of contacts. Send a recon to S, W, E, N if neccessary.
                        3. MINE MINE MINE.
                        4. And offense of course. Once the defense team has found the SL position I always send 2 or three men to go around and flank the SL.
                        6. If there is an Anti Air gun I leave somebody close to it in case a chopper comes in.
                        7. Vehicles.

9. Listen to your Squad Leader

I cant tell you how many times 2 members of my squad go like halfway to the east flag when i tell them to defend the east side of our current flag.

If you are defending one of the last flags for your team and many APCs/tanks spawn there, it would be wise to place c4 instead of mines at the entrances/exits and have that person watching it at all times. If you mine the exits, your other squads become trapped inside when trying to take a tank out of the base.

Comment

Originally posted by |=V=| B [Ssgt]

My D strategies are:
                          3. MINE MINE MINE.
                          7. Vehicles.

I was in B's squad yesterday, and we defended the TV station on Sharqi Peninsula for one full round. Multiple assaults from boats, jeeps, helo's, you name it, we held the ground!

The rules above work great. I'll add to 1) that the high POV should be the SL. B did a great job at telling us where the enemy was coming from, and dispatching fire teams in the proper direction. We were never caught by surprise, and this makes a world of difference. The enemy was always expected, so defending was a piece of cake. As soon as you know where the enemy is coming from, take a good firing position
                          with your *back* to the incoming enemy (with some cover of course), and wait until they pass you. Then open fire.

Also, B remained alive, that provided a spawn point when our flag was turned neutral.

Cheers
                          ABPositive

Comment

Few other tips...

Try and develop kill zones. Person A is watching this direction, person b's view overlaps a small portion of person a's....etc. Works very well. Each one is watching the other's back.

Use mines like others have said. Place outside the main area.

Also, do not C4 the immediate area around the flag. If the enemy gets there you are probably dead anyway and can not detonate it. Use it outside the perimeter on roadways or chokepoints.

Place C4 alongside the road right at the grass. Place one on either side. This effectively causes a choke point between explosives and since it is not directly on the road even the most savvy of drivers will be caught unaware.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_JBRanger
                              Also, do not C4 the immediate area around the flag. If the enemy gets there you are probably dead anyway and can not detonate it. Use it outside the perimeter on roadways or chokepoints.
                              I have to disagree with this one. Anyone attempting to rush and take a flag from my squad will go up in a ball of flames. When I am SL, I do everything I can to stay alive, and if you take out everyone else in my squad, you will still go boom on my final line of defense.

This fits in with my general defensive philosophy of letting the enemy think there's no defense when they roll in. There's no more effective way of ripping an attacking squad apart than letting them all gather around the flag before you open fire.

If they are a smart squad, this won't work on them, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. :D
                              Peace through fear... since 1947!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X