Tarpan-r/l

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarpan-r/l

Well, I'm pretty sure I pissed off a lot of people by locking my squad tonight. My apologies for that, but I was attempting something new.

Tonight was the first night that I tried something a little different. I wanted to see how effective a small squad could be when used solely for rapid-mounted flanking and intercept. I had varying degress of success, and I'll detail it a bit here.

At first I had a 4-man squad, and we attempted to alternatively act as behind the lines attackers and flankers. I had moderate success at flanking, but a little less at attacking rear bases. Chief problems were that with 4 men, one almost always gets left out of a jeep (the most common rapid transportation). Four men also provides a moderate target for an airstrike or artillery. Splitting into two teams of two meant that as soon as one man died, his partner almost always followed.

Later, I dropped myself down to 3 men, and this worked far better. We were easily twice as fast (even on foot) as the 4-man squad, and I would wager about 3x as fast as any 6-man squad I've led. Basically we grabbed a humvee and patrolled all around. Several times we rolled up on the far side of an enemy squad that was attacking an allied position, and were able to clean up. We were also able to run interference for a lot of attacks due to mobility. On Karkand, I slipped my humvee in between 2 enemy flags to cause distraction so that another allied squad could move up and capture one. This group is also great for defending against the lone wolf capture of an undefended flag, as we could get there in a hurry with 3:1 odds.

Limitations. Oh, the limitations.

First, the CO has to know and understand what this squad's purpose is. The first CO I had just didn't get it (though, admittedly, it was a hard map to use such a unit on). He either tried to have my small squad attack a heavily defended base, or tried to have my small squad hold an enemy base against odds that made me want to cry. Later, though, Maranhao got the idea on Karkand. He used my squad to plug gaps in the line, to intercept other flanking troops, and to respond to emergencies in the rear.

Second, we need to be mounted 90% of the time. This group's strength is in it's quick response time; easily able to make it between distant flags before the situation tours completely sour. We move a bit slower than a called in air strike, but we put boots on the ground and bring a .50 cal with us where we go to make up for it. If we're not mounted, we can still move fast (3 men are easier to maneuver with and hide than 6), but we're not living up to what we could be.

Lastly, we're ineffective against armor/air except as a distraction. Our primary vehicles are jeeps, buggies, humvees and the Large Bars of Brown Soap (L'BoBS, aka the MEC/CHI vans). We're mostly about dealing with the infantry here.

I'll be trying this again in the future, refining things as I go, so I apologize ahead of time for anyone who isn't able to join my squad when these operations are under way. Oh, and the -R and -L suffixes stand for Rapid and Lite, respectively. I tried them both out tonight, and I think the -R is more appropriate.
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: Tarpan-r/l

Nice idea. It is good to know why you locked it. I was one of those trying to get in and it perplexed me to see you running a tiny locked squad. Too bad communication is so hard, I wish I could have found out during the games so I wouldn't have that nagging "I should be helping Tarpan" voice in my head. ;P

I know you have issues using TS and BF2 VOIP at the same time, but I wish someone in your squad had been on. Anyway, very nice idea, unfortunately, like many of these new great ideas the CO you get(if you get one) can end up playing a big role in the succes of your special squad/unit. (Air and Gunship squads are common enough that most commanders seem to be able to grasp the concepts but I can see how yours might be harder to utilize fully without a little practice.)

- Do look to invite me in the future if you're gonna pull another "Locked squad to hide from the throngs of hormonal teenagers calling for Tarpan!" I love trying new stuff like this. :)
    Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
    [age-c1]
    [eng][air]

Comment

What kits do you use when you only have 3 people?

Comment

Bailattelos Girlfriend Candice Writes: I wish memebers of this forum would take this game more seriously. I mena, honestly...how can you play an interactive game with no microphone...while you arer typing away...men are getting killed! Either become a speed typer, or get a mic...especially YOU commander!!!!
        If quizes are quisical, what would that make tests ? :icon16:

Comment

Just to clarify that was my girlfriend writing, i know its off topic but try telling her that. She listens to the game when i play and starts doing this hillarious impersonations of us playing, using words and phrases that she picks up. Shes really funny but totally anti-game, she claims "pootergames" , as she calls it, has ruined her sex life. Frankly i dont know what shes talking about..... :icon20:

BTW Good jobb tarkan, maybe in the future every squad can have different prefixes and thus the commander understands how to use them.
          If quizes are quisical, what would that make tests ? :icon16:

Comment

tarpan, when dealing with bad CO's I find it's most beneficial to your squad to perform the classic, "CRACKLE, HISS, sir, you're, CRACKLE, CRACKLE, HISS, breaking up, HISS, CRACKLE".

I like your light mech squad... I, too, have dabbled with a similar 3-man squad called RECON! however, with 2 SpecOps and 1 Medic, we were very successful at taking out armor. On urban maps we had no problem sneaking up on a tank, unloading 1 SpecOps, circling around while he got busy and then picked him up or simply let him respawn in the jeep with the SL. You might want to reconsider this armor weakness since you'll have a better jump on enemy armor units than the rest of your team, save HELOs. All it would take is 1 SpecOps player.

Comment

Originally posted by Lagomorph
              It is good to know why you locked it. I was one of those trying to get in and it perplexed me to see you running a tiny locked squad.
              A few times I saw people asking to be let in, and I tried to tell them I was attempting small squad tactics. Whether or not it got through, who knows.

As far as kits, I experimented with two combos: Assault/SpecOps/Medic and Assault/Assault/Medic. Both had unique pros and cons, so I can't say which one I really liked better. Next trial will be Support/Assault/Medic for a more rounded out team.

Another very key concept to the squad is engagement discipline. It doesn't pay to start firing at the first sign of an enemy when you're trying to get behind them and catch them by total surprise. If we were on the move, my rule was that we were not to fire until I gave the order, or unless we were fired upon first.
              [squadl]

Comment

Support/Assault/Medic could work well against ARMOR if all three were gnarly with the 'nades. Isnt the Assault kit a little out of place in a light-Mech squad? With the exception of the nade-launcher for anti-infantry, I find a medic can dish just as much kenetic punishment as the Assault kit. I'd wager you're in your jeep and redeploying long before the smoke 'nade clears so I dont see the advantage of the smoke unless you plan to camp a bit and mow enemies with the Support kit. Assault/SpecOps/Medic may be your most "rounded" config. Of course, I'm banking on good supply drops via CO, which should be easy for a smart driver to get to safely when on LightMechRecon.

There's a good reason the honeybee loses its stinger with every sting...

Comment

Tarpan, how did you act as an SL with this small squad?

With a six man squad the SL tends to try and act as a repeat spawn point, however with only three men I imaging you had to engage more frequently and died more frequently which eliminates that spawn point.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by walrus
                    Isnt the Assault kit a little out of place in a light-Mech squad? With the exception of the nade-launcher for anti-infantry, I find a medic can dish just as much kenetic punishment as the Assault kit.
                    I used the Assault kits for the rifle, grenade launcher and armor. They were pretty robust overall. I didn't factor in the smoke grenade because as they are, they're useless. If we were able to carry more than just one, it would be a tactical factor. Medics can dish out punishment, true, but they can't take a hit.

The point of the squad is to get somewhere fast, and to be able to take out the enemy before they realize what is happening. On foot, that means accurate guns and body armor in case we are discovered or have to skirt other fights on the way to the target. Mounted, we have a .50 cal so we don't necessarily need a support gun. Since one guy stays with the vehicle (generally myself or the medic), we want the guys going in on foot to have body armor.

Asch: Generally I stuck with the vehicle, manning the .50 cal. On foot, I mostly did middle-line fighting, covering corners and laying down fire so that the other guys could move in.

In all truth, I think I died far less than when I operated in a standard sized squad. We were basically in and out before a big firefight broke out. With a normal squad, I got thrown into really thick, prolonged fights. With this squad, it was basically a hit and run- we're more surgical than brute force. On Mashtuur, almost every time we engaged we were out and moving again within about 45sec.
                    [squadl]

Comment

SmokingTarpan, your squad was brilliant last night at Karkand. It was excellent to know the one squad to send behind to take out lone wolfs that are able to break through and are about to take the flag. Also, in a map like Karkand where the USMC base is so far away and the commander is virtually useless without his things, your squad was simply no less than perfect to come back and help me out, like you did once or twice. I had engineer, so as long as you cleared them out, I could fix everthing at the base, and it worked perfectly. :) If I command again tonight, I'll be looking out for you.

Comment

I was in the three-man squad last night, and here are my impressions.

- This squad is excellent for taking out enemy assets. Run in, blow the C4, run out.
                        - The flanking actions, which usually interrupted a battle between two full squads over a flag, turned the tide quick and didn't risk our lives nearly as much.
                        - Because we were moving so much (and not dying over and over), a support trooper would be an excellent addition/substitution. We need to have wheels, though, because supports are SLOW.
                        - If the squad consists of a support, a medic, and an assault, put the assault on the back of the humvee. He's the guy with the grenade launcher and armor. The other two won't be dealing nearly as much death from the back seat.

Oh, and I learned that Tarpan drives like a drunken senator. ;)
                        Last edited by BillyGnosis; 07-27-2005, 02:30 PM. Reason: Clarity
                        Let them eat war.
                        XFire: billygnosis

Comment

haha, and i thought from the title that -r/l meant minus real life ;)

nice idea to experiment with the squads. I was thinking of capping one at 5, basically if I have cymba in it, and we don't have a dedicated chopper squad. I think Tarpan that 3 in a buggy with 2 in a helo would mek for a very dynamic rapid response force. I was trying for something like this a couple weeks ago, but the 6th guy was always a bit of an odd one out. Maybe capping the squad number is an idea.

Let us know how that one develops.

Comment

Originally posted by Wulfyn
                            I think Tarpan that 3 in a buggy with 2 in a helo would mek for a very dynamic rapid response force.
                            This would actually be ideal, being able to quickly converge on the back side of an enemy with both foot and air power. Only two problems that I can see with it:

1. Helicopters aren't stealthy, so the element of surpise is lost pretty early.
                            2. If there isn't a helicopter available, transportation becomes a problem.

Would make for a good rapid reinforcement squad, if nothing else.

Billy: Just because I launched one jeep into the middle of a lake and rolled one humvee down the side of a mountain does not mean I'm a bad driver. I think you're just bad luck, nothing bad happened when you weren't in the vehicle.
                            [squadl]

Comment

Tarpan, if you see me on when you're doing this, I'd definitely be interested in trying it out. Send me an invite :)
                              Telorn

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X