Tank Artillery Fire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Artillery Fire

Does anybody want to get together sometime and practice this to try and see the usability of it? Basically create a squad and have start leading fire up to a certain location . The squad leader is keeping track of the locations that it is being hit and posting waypoints at where they hit etc. I think this could be something interesting to try.
    [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
    [tg-c1]<victory

Re: Tank Artillery Fire

Can you elaborate? You mean using the tank as an artillery piece? Shooting it over the horizon and have someone spot you on?

I dont think its gonna work.
    1) The tank round does not do enough damage to area target.
    2) There is no defined calibration for shifting fire. There is no OT factor, add/drop etc that make adjusting fire possible.
    3) The key to tank survival and effectiveness is its mobility, if you take that away, he'd be AT bait in about 30 secs.

Stick to having the Commander using arty, its faster and more effective.
    Power may grow from the barrel of a gun, but control....... stems from the 1st and the 15th.

Comment

I'd think it be interesting to see the effectiveness, there is an add drop on tank shells. And it can be used perhaps for precision.
      [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

I was goofing around one time shooting tank shells randomly into the air and I think it hit a BH on the ground somewhere (got 4 kills). However, I don't think it's a viable tactic for the reasons Deathdealer listed.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

This tactic would only be good for destroying stationary vehicles i.e Attack Choppers to deny the enemy their air superiority while they hold a flagpoint with a helipad. IMO.

Comment

Strictly speaking, Air Superiority is the product of dominant jet piloting.

Thus, unless you can hit a JSF, SU-30, or MIG-29 with a tank round, you cannot have air superiority.

In order to hit anything, the tnak MUST be very stationary, it is then extremely vulnerable to attack helo rocketing.

Keep in mind that every tank used as mobile artillery is one less tank you are employing in an offensive manuever.

There are many other disadvantages.....

In summary, ITS A VERY VERY BAD IDEA. Try it out if you must, but im certain the result is far far from desirable.
            Power may grow from the barrel of a gun, but control....... stems from the 1st and the 15th.

Comment

I'm just saying this to get a feel for it in general. Because it would be useful skill to have.
              Pre-assaulting a base for yourself or giving the 'shell-shock' treatment for a squad that wants to rush in with surprise. As the shock area of a tank shell is quite large.
              [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

I think it would be fun to try but ultimately undereffective.

"2) There is no defined calibration for shifting fire. There is no OT factor, add/drop etc that make adjusting fire possible. "

Sounds like a 13F talking.

"Power may grow from the barrel of a gun, but control....... stems from the 1st and the 15th. "
                does this have anything to do with 1/15th FA Battalion?
                Last edited by BudahMan; 08-02-2005, 01:06 AM. Reason: add text
                (no fancy graphic)
                Question Reality

Comment

i think it refers to the 1st and 15th amendments?

Comment

..which would be.....

Budah (<---- R/L Engineer, almost failed U.S. history)
                    (no fancy graphic)
                    Question Reality

Comment

No, it means.....

Power may grow from the barrel of a gun.... but the control of that power comes from the 1st and the 15th of the month, when the people holding those barrels gets paid.

A more expansive meaning is that...... you may kill and destroy a people, but the best way to control them is through mortgage and bi-weekly labor induced salaries.

Comment

I was thinking a 13E. Don't ask me how I know......

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

Umm.. Nope! Im a 12A and 19C.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_JBRanger
                            I was thinking a 13E. Don't ask me how I know......
                            good if you said 13B I'd have to call you a gun bunny....
                            (no fancy graphic)
                            Question Reality

Comment

Originally posted by Deathdealer247
                              Strictly speaking, Air Superiority is the product of dominant jet piloting.

Thus, unless you can hit a JSF, SU-30, or MIG-29 with a tank round, you cannot have air superiority.
                              If Attack Chopper(A) spawns at Helipad(B), and I have my tank sitting veery far away and pointing at coordinates(C), which with no deviations in shell accuracy can guarantee a direct hit on Helipad(B), I can most likely keep Attack Chopper(A) destroyed for every time it respawns, denying it from the enemy.

I don't understand why you are going off about hitting jets in the air, nobody mentioned that idea.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X