Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

s&s

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • s&s

    rainofwalrus: "I need a Scan & Spot on Squad 6? over"

    CO: "huh?"

    rainofwalrus: "I need intel on incoming sniper-fire. Please Scan & Spot on Squad 6."

    CO: "Give the UAV time to recharge."


    some CO's are amazing and some depend on UAV too much. I'd just like to go over the Scan & Spot Request one more time.

    ---
    request: Scan and Spot (S&S) on Squad #

    response: find Squad # on your map, click Scan, spot nearby targets [right-click/spotted] on your map.
    ---

    This allows you to focus UAV on more important and/or offensive squad activity. This is also useful when UAV is disabled and/or recharging.

    "S&S on squad #"

  • #2
    Re: s&s

    I think the problems here are either that people don't quite get the 'jargon', and sometimes don't understand if it is not 'out of the box'.

    I posted a while ago that I was being hampered (read: owned) by an enemy attack helicopter. The CO just didn't understand my requests of air support, and instead dropped some arty.

    Other times I have asked if a CO can check if there are any enemy nearby, but have not specified that I only needed a scan, and not a dedicated UAV that could be put somewhere else. But in those cases it's my fault for not specifying as I'm sure the CO was just trying to be helpful.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: s&s

      Some COs also don't realize that after a scan you can right-click and use the spotted command.
      |TG-12th| asch
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: s&s

        Originally posted by Wulfyn
        I posted a while ago that I was being hampered (read: owned) by an enemy attack helicopter. The CO just didn't understand my requests of air support, and instead dropped some arty.
        LOL:

        "Commander we need air support!"

        ...

        "BOOM!"
        Beatnik

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: s&s

          whats worse is when I ask the commander to tell me if there are any guys in the area the next time he scans...and instead i get a UAV thats shows nothing

          that happened last night at some point...i think on wetlands right before Beatniks squad attacked us. As soon as we started getting attacked on the middle flag...i told my squad: "find Beatnik..forget about everyone else for now!"

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: s&s

            yeah, Beatnik is one tough customer.

            I'm confident that most |TG| and friends of |TG| from here on out will understand the call: "S&S on Squad #"

            not to mention good snipers will be outside the relative UAV radius anyway!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: s&s

              I usually tell them commander:

              Squad # is taking sniper fire...I request you use the spotted command once you scan and find them whenever you get a chance. If he responds then I tell my squad to take cover until the commander finds him/her

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: s&s

                Originally posted by DrunkenSoul
                that happened last night at some point...i think on wetlands right before Beatniks squad attacked us. As soon as we started getting attacked on the middle flag...i told my squad: "find Beatnik..forget about everyone else for now!"
                LOL ... I remember it. we were circling the CP. I was the medic and was trying to stay close to SL Beatnik. from time to time, we were holding position and exchanging fire with the chasers and then running again. it was very intense indeed...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: s&s

                  Originally posted by walrus
                  rainofwalrus: "I need a Scan & Spot on Squad 6? over"
                  this is it walrus, very succinct ! this request format should take its place in SL-Commander communication standards manual, volume 2, section 4...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: s&s

                    more standardized version:

                    "Commander, this is squad 4, request Scan & Spot on our position, over"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: s&s

                      Communication's a two-way thing remember :) Not all CO's will understand a request and they may also have other CO's talking in their ear. Whenever I chat to the CO, I try to make sure I request his attention ("Command this is squad 1, over" or something like that), and then wait until he gets back to me. Hopefully this way he has clear comms and won't be interrupted.

                      The first port of call in any comms is to make sure the guy at the other end has your attention.
                      Jex.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: s&s

                        jex,

                        there is a chance that your first tranmission will be received by CO without any complication. if not, he may say "wait" and then when he is ready you transmit again. as you can see, in terms of radio use, worst case in this scenario is the same with checking first and then transmitting (as long as you transmit a short request). if you ask for clearance first, communication channel will always be used 2X more than necessary...

                        To sum up:
                        For very important/long transmissions, I agree for a "Commander, this is squad one, do you copy?" clearance.

                        For short transmissions, I prefer to do it in one shot.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: s&s

                          Originally posted by jex
                          Communication's a two-way thing remember :) Not all CO's will understand a request and they may also have other CO's talking in their ear. Whenever I chat to the CO, I try to make sure I request his attention ("Command this is squad 1, over" or something like that), and then wait until he gets back to me. Hopefully this way he has clear comms and won't be interrupted.

                          The first port of call in any comms is to make sure the guy at the other end has your attention.
                          EVERY SINGLE TIME, WITHOUT FAIL. You gotta do this for your CO.

                          BTW, also, last night I played CO, and was surprised at how often I heard,

                          "Do you want us to to move to that flag?" Uh... who's "us" ?? Which flag ??
                          or
                          "We need some [insert item here]." Uh ... who's "we"?

                          Even if you don't first request his attention, you should at least preface your statement with your squad number.

                          "6 here. Want us to move to that flag?"
                          "Squad 2 needs supplies." (This should actually NEVER be over VOIP. Use the in-game features.)
                          "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                          - Lazarus Long

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: s&s

                            Originally posted by John CANavar
                            To sum up:
                            For very important/long transmissions, I agree for a "Commander, this is squad one, do you copy?" clearance.

                            For short transmissions, I prefer to do it in one shot.
                            Oh, yeah. Uh... good point, actually. :)
                            "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                            - Lazarus Long

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: s&s

                              good to know how to spot after a scan. I was trying to get a squad to clear up flankers and could only talk them in.

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X