Up in smoke

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up in smoke

The humble smoke grenade (and by extension the smoke launcher on a vehicle) seems to be one of the most underutilized items so far. Itís portable cover. After all, you canít shoot what you canít see. So I thought I would share some the uses I have found for them and hope you will do the same.

On foot:

1.) When your squad needs to cross open ground under enemy fire. i.e. Trying to get up the road to the western most flag on Karkand. You toss one from the base of the hill, and half way up someone else throws another.

2.) When your squad needs to cap a flag thatís out in the open.

3.) When your squad is taking heavy fire and you need to fall back. Give that medic a chance to revive without becoming a casualty himself.

4.) When youíre by yourself and being shot at by a sniper you canít see. Drop that smoke and get out of there.

In a tank:

1.) When the enemy tank gets the first shot on you. Donít sit and trade shots unless his tank is already smoking.

2.) When your squad is about to disembark from transport. You basically ďspawnĒ next to the vehicle and are just as vulnerable. Give them a chance to get their weapons out and get moving.

The only real downside of smoke right now is the limited quantity. I really think the assault guys need 3 smoke grenades IMO.

Re: Up in smoke

Good points. It's just such a shame the assault class only gets 1 :(

Infantry 3 i think is the best utilisation - when you need to retreat quickly, drop that smoke and run like the wind.

Comment

I've seen amazing Assault kit players compliment a vehicular smokebomb by throwing their own smokenade near the edge of the smokebomb. this makes for a nice, large cloud.

Comment

I agree. Smoke is quite effective, but hardly used. I also agree that infantry should get more of it.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

I love my smoke grenade, but I hesitate to use it because I only get one. Never know when the situation could be worse than it is now, and really need some smoke.

Worst part is that they're very hard to resupply. I've sat next to a support person for 30sec straight, hammering on my smoke grenade key the whole time and never got a reload.
          [squadl]
          "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing them up the smoke to 2 or 3 in inventory for assault. I don't know what they were thinking.
            [age-c1][gchq-c1][support]
            TG-1st MIP(Currently Retired)

Comment

anyone willing to see how big we can get 3 vehicular clouds? perhaps APC(x2) and Tank(x1)?

might be useful to have a Cheech & Chong Squad! ;)

Comment

i actually use smoke grenades all the time, i just hate having only 1 ! with what tarpan said, you never know when youll really need it. But I'm usually a SL and if my team already has a support and AT kit, ill go with spec ops or assualt.

for a tip of when to use smoke nades, tell your troops to wait until your smoke grenade goes off to advance upon a flag position, works really well if your unsure where enemies are in the area, because either way they will end up confused.

Comment

For flags out in the open (often capturable "asset bases") smoke grenages are invaluable. They are useful for defense, too. Incoming squad?...smoke the choke point and unload on them as they imerge from the smoke.
                  Jesus saves.....the rest of you go Spec-Ops and Assault

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                    Worst part is that they're very hard to resupply. I've sat next to a support person for 30sec straight, hammering on my smoke grenade key the whole time and never got a reload.
                    The support class AoE reload is really slow. When I play support, I always toss out ammo packs: they provide instant reload for all your weapons. I believe this includes the smoke grenade.

This would be another thread, but I find that the support class is not played enough in squads. When I'm not playing support myself, I'm always having a hard time finding ammo (except in your squad, Tarpan, since you often play support).

Comment

Originally posted by ABPositive
                      This would be another thread, but I find that the support class is not played enough in squads. When I'm not playing support myself, I'm always having a hard time finding ammo (except in your squad, Tarpan, since you often play support).
                      I think this will work itself out. When the game was new, people were dying all the time...at least I was. I never really had the need for more ammo. Now that I know the game better and SL are getting more savy and squads are staying alive longer, the need for support class has increased, and I have seen more people use it.

It's part of the natural learning curve. I used to think the USMC Assault rifle sucked, but now it's my favorite weapon...two pulls from the trigger can drop anyone if your aim is good.
                      Jesus saves.....the rest of you go Spec-Ops and Assault

Comment

Originally posted by ABPositive
                        The support class AoE reload is really slow. When I play support, I always toss out ammo packs: they provide instant reload for all your weapons. I believe this includes the smoke grenade.
                        I think the packs only provide reloads for the weapon you have in hand when you pick them up. I know I've picked up a pack and got rifle ammo, but when I switched to my grenade launcher I was still empty. This creates a problem for smoke grenades, since you can't have it "out" if you've spent your only one.
                        [squadl]
                        "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Comment

Originally posted by SmokingTarpan
                          I think the packs only provide reloads for the weapon you have in hand when you pick them up. I know I've picked up a pack and got rifle ammo, but when I switched to my grenade launcher I was still empty. This creates a problem for smoke grenades, since you can't have it "out" if you've spent your only one.
                          I'll test this tonight, but I believe it does recharge all of them. I also noticed that after picking up an ammo box with my M16 in hands, and then switching to grenades, it shows 0 grenades for 2 seconds, then back to full.

Comment

The whole resupply is a little weird. The ammo packs are quite reliable though. Yesterday, I picked up an ammo pack and switched to GL so it could reload. I've done it with AT too and it reloads a second after I switch.

The supply crates are messed up. Healing isn't really a problem but resupplying is annoying. I don't always get the resupply status icon showing. It feels like I always have to have my back facing the crate while swinging left and right to resupply properly.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

The very best use possible for vehicular smoke is ... dare I say it? ... the other flyboys will kill me ... here goes ...

It breaks the Bomber lock.

--StrikeFear goes into the witness protection relocation program--
                              "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
                              - Lazarus Long

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...