Repair Guy / Commander Training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Guy / Commander Training

I played on the 64 game server last night as USMC and had a blast. I made a squad called Repair Guy and locked it so it was just me. I wanted to experiment with this one night . My main objectives were:

1. Keep Main base assets up. That part was pretty easy. I was allways looking for the yellow assets on map and sometimes the commander would warn me when someone was close. I got a few roadkills that way.
    2. Driving around in something quick, getting behind Tanks and APC's and repairing them. Staying behind them especially if they were in a firefight.
    3. Mining bridges and roads. I kept the mines out and would stop, pop out, drop 1 and go. On bridges, I would mine our side so it was easy for 1 of our guys to see, but not so for the enemy. And I would drop it to one side so any of our team could squeeze through.
    4. Sometimes the commander would give me specific "gopher" objectives...ie: he would do a scan and find noone in an outta the way base and since I was in a quick vehicle, I could scoot over their and cap it.
    5. When I would die, If assets were up, I would make a snap decision where to spawn. Sometimes in a firefight where they may be a friendly tank, sometimes where a jeep or APC would spawn and I knew I could get it, sometimes back at the base to bring up a Tank or APC (squads usually dont spawn at main base and there are perfectly good vehicles there)....it just depended on the situation.

We won every game and there were times when we were far ahead on tickets that I would spawn at a friendly base at the frontline and pop down some mines. It all depended what was going on in a game and/or what the commander wanted.

Heres a major plus I never expected. As a SL I was able to listen to all the orders given by the commander to other squads by VOIP. And because I didnt have a squad or resposibilities, I could really learn and interpret what the commander was doing. I was lucky in the fact we had good CO's. I never felt comfortable being a CO or a SL, maybe after a few more times of Repair Guy, I might. Mostly though, I think It makes for excellent Commander training.

Heres a tip
    There are maps that are vehicle specific like Zatar Wetlands. If you are the driver of a Tank or APC, you need to be an Engineer. You get 2 or 3 heavy vehicles with Engineers and they can roll over all ground units. On Zatar, pray you have good pilots who can keep airpower off you.

Re: Repair Guy / Commander Training

sounds like a good idea but why lock it? maybe some other people ont the server would like to roll with the repair guy. Team up with some firepower for defense and you can survive the spec ops who are hunting base assets.
    (no fancy graphic)
    Question Reality

Comment

That sounds like a fantastic experience.
      Of course, you can't help but wonder if they'd be even more effective with 2-3 members. Still small, but with a little bit more attack/defense power on those lightly-manned enemy flags, or lightly-assaulted friendly flags.

The other thing that occurs to me is how a squad of 2-3 like that would fare in the Jets squad - where only 1-3 pilot seats exist. And I wonder if it would work to have one of the ground guys be SL.

I guess it would just have to be experimented with...
      "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
      - Lazarus Long

Comment

Ooohhh.. As a commander, I would LOVE to have a squad like this, similar to a base duty squad.

But I do think it would have to be kept small, so as to allow more regular troops to defend/assault flags.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

2 - 3 guys would kinda defeat the purpose of it. With just me, I didnt have to worry about others and it was easy to know where all the quick vehicles were (that I knew werent gonna be used, cuz I know squads like em). If I Heard the CO tell a squad where to go (sometimes I didnt cuz he just gave the order by mouseclick), I pulled up the map, spotted them, and made sure I didnt have the vehicle they needed or would'nt take it. With more guys, I either have to wait for em to get in the vehicle or they end up taking another somewhere else. And he might possibly take a needed one.
          A great scenario last night was on Fushe Pass As USMC we take the Power Plant right off cuz its where our assets are and the chopper spawns there, so a pretty high value base. First thing I do is get in a buggy and go east to that long bridge, pop down 2 mines caddy corner of each other on our side(still allowing our guys to get through, they just have to weave). I then go halfway down the road towards the Power Plant base and pop 1 in the road, I drive past the Power Plant towards Security HQ Base. If you have ATC for Battlefield, you can look these up. The Security HQ base has 2 exits leading to enemy, I pop down 2 mines at each where they cant see it. Those are my 5 mines. Those mines gave me some pretty good kills in the game, I was 5th on my team. One of em was not long after the game had started, 3 in a buggy at the bridge. The enemy ends up taking Security HQ flag. And boy did they dig in. Apparently the CO had sent a squad to retake it. They would spawn at the Power Plant, jump in an APC or the tank and rush in. I tried to stay behind them in a buggy repairing them, but they didnt get it. I typed some stuff in and the 4th time, they got it. The APC and Tank stayed side by side, I was right behind them, the tank had an engineer, APC didnt....I stayed right behind them. We moved in at a slower pace, sometimes just stoping and racking up kills. We definately had it easier this time even though we had to back up to repair a few times. We had chopper support as well.

That base is easier to defend than it is to take. The Fence allows them to see you without dying. The AT guys would open up from both sides of that fence and on our flanks.

Comment

I'm sorry I don't agree with this being a one man squad. It sounds like you just wanted to do your own thing and didn't want to worry about having to lead others around or worry about keeping up with a squad.

It sounds like your intentions were in the right place, but I don't see how a one man squad is better. We are either a squad based server or we aren't. A squad is not 1 person.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm yelling at you. My concern is that you locked the squad and didn't allow others the chance to see if they could help you. I've been seeing more and more people locking small squads. While this is ok in some cases please do me this favor, if there areadsy 8 squads do not lock your squad under any circumstance. I have been on a server with several small squads, a couple of them locked, and I really had no where to go since the only open squad was an Air squad.

Oh and if the CO asks you to join up with another squad I would hope that you would. You can be just as effective working with a 6 man squad in a more localized area. There is probably another 6 man squad out there with someone in a similar role. Combined you cover a lot more area and you benefit from having squadmates to cover you.

After saying all that, I think it is a ver useful _Role_ but I think you could be more effective with a couple more in your squad or as a part of a larger squad. You don't necessarily have to be right next to your squad the whole time.
            flux
            [tg-c1]

Comment

I like the idea of the squad. It can be used as both part defense and part repair. Having 2-3 members sounds like it would be more effective to a) provide more mines on defense; b) provide faster repair time; and c) provide more coverage to repair.
              |TG-12th| asch
              sigpic

Comment

this is a good idea, but having 1 guy do anything isnt a good idea. i think you could of made better use of what you did by being a mobile supply squad, 1 medic, 1 eng, and 1 support. this also means you capt. bases quicker, you can repair your assets with ease. and you support squads with ammo, greater coverfire, an extra medic, and repairing their vehicles.

Comment

Flux,
                  I kinda started the Repair Guy on a whim because I was getting some bad lag and in all honesty I wouldnt have been just as effective in a 6 man squad. Maybe my reasons were a bit one sided and its true I didnt want nor have the experience to handle a squad on my own. All in All, with the bad lag (which I dont normally have) I think it was the best way to help the team. I was able to learn quite a bit more about being a CO as well. We never had more than 8 squads, so locking it wasnt a big deal. None of the CO's asked me to join a regular squad.

Riki, I may try another game with 2 instead of 1. I just bought a USB mic today and will be able to better help my team. I have learned how the mic greatly improves gameplay....not just for greater tactical teamwork, but fun and this is still just a game. Allthough, there are times I forget that and injure myself from kicking something near me after I get punished for an accidental teamkill. Can we put a friggin back up beeper on these vehicles?

Comment

Originally posted by cabledawg1
                    FCan we put a friggin back up beeper on these vehicles?
                    lol...Brilliant!

I like your idea....and your intent was a good one, but i would have to agree with some of the above stated opinions: locking a one man squad is a bad idea. two members should be the Minimum for a locked squad...and only if that squad is performing a specialized function. (as yours would be.)

Dirt013
                    Dirt013

Comment

yeah youll have much more fun with the mic, i see what you mean about learning how to be a SL. maybe you as an eng and a spec ops would be something fearsome, mining the enemies mainbase while your spec ops blows assets ;) .

Comment

Originally posted by cabledawg1
                        2. Driving around in something quick, getting behind Tanks and APC's and repairing them. Staying behind them especially if they were in a firefight.
                        Was that you behind me on Wetlands?

I was in a USMC tank on Zatar, attacking a flag (the one with a whole fence perimeter, and the flag is upstairs). I stopped at one entrance (you don't want to expose the back of the tank).

After my first few kills, the whole defending squad switched to AT... Luckily, someone in an APC was behind me, constantly fixing me... I kept taking down enemies, I think I raked more than 15 kills. Some AT managed to fire at me before they died, others did not. I was really taking a lot of punishment, but the engineer kept me alive... Eventually my tank was taken out, but it took a good 2 minutes of effort and a whole AT squad to do that :-) In the meantime, another USMC squad was making it to the backdoor... The rest is history.

So cabledawg, if that was you, great job, and nice idea.

Cheers
                        ABPositive

Comment

yes that was me, you went in on the side entrance. I got a few kills too. Had you been an engineer, we might have lasted there all day, but i got hit with AT fire once they figured it out. Its weird that I remember that, but they took it quick and I was going somewhere else, when they took it, I looked on the map for a vehicle heading that way and it was you.

Comment

Tough one here. I like the thought of having one guy on call for the dirty duties that a lot of people don't like to fill. A 1 man squad could work the way you describe, it can only be 1 squad like that though.

I played a couple rounds in the early morning as commander. What I found as people left for bed and the squads whittled down, the squads that had 3-6 people were very effective. The one's that only had 1 guy in (it ended up being 4 squads of 1 guy by the end) were very ineffective at taking/holding flags unless it was 100% undefended.

<7Ds> Lucky Shot

Comment

You could tack your repair guy onto the Air or Gunship squads as the SL. That way your not taking up a squad space and you still don't have to do much leading. Just accept the commanders "Attack this position" waypoints for your guys in the sky.

I like the idea but I think it would be better served with 2 engys. As others have mentioned, faster repair or more area of repair is obviously better.

When your helping out in a battle do you just park the jeep next to the tank or do you get out and give them a friendly crank?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X