From Commander to Squads.. question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Commander to Squads.. question

I love playing commander... im not the best foot soldier in the world and really enjoy playing RTS games... but I have noticed two things and wanted to see what people who dont play commander as much think..

I notice that a lot of people (even on TG servers) use the comm rose and request ammo thinking that the commander will see that and drop supplies.. i try to explain to people that thier is a difference between that and actually requesting supplies and how much easier it is when i (commander) have the little icon on the screen for the drop.. is this not common knowledge for ground troops?? people act like im crazy somedays.. and i have gotten booted from other servers over it..

Second... am I odd for prefering squad leaders to give orders over me (commander) giving them? it just makes more sense for the squad to do what they think they can.. with obvious help for knowing where the enemy is.. and it is so hard to judge a squad.. some want direction.. some spit venom at you if you give an order.. but some squad leaders refuse to give thier own orders, so that the commander knows what they are doing..

That all said.. commanding on TG is much better and less annoying then on other servers.

Napalmenator (the longwinded)

Re: From Commander to Squads.. question

I have mixed feelings about the commo rose. Sometimes, SLs will use it, but not realize that the request appears to the CO exactly where the SL is looking at that time. So, the SL might request a drop, but the request shows up in a different place then where he was expecting it.

As far as giving orders goes..

For ground squads, you have to assign them to a flag at the very least and let them do their thing from there. Do not micro-manage, but you need to have some control over the overall strategy. Let them do their thing within the parameters of the strategy that you set forth. Do not let them just roam the map.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Napalmenator

Second... am I odd for prefering squad leaders to give orders over me (commander) giving them? it just makes more sense for the squad to do what they think they can.. with obvious help for knowing where the enemy is.. and it is so hard to judge a squad.. some want direction.. some spit venom at you if you give an order.. but some squad leaders refuse to give thier own orders, so that the commander knows what they are doing..

Napalmenator (the longwinded)
      I was thinking about this same thing the other day. I tend to be one who gives my Squad commands and allow the commander to supercede those orders if he sees something different. As a Squad member, I have seen those who request orders after every objective, and those who plow ahead unless told different. I am curious to see what the community feels is preferred in a Commander/Squad Leader. I should say that as commander, I often let the squads navigate to where they feel their strengths are and then support, spot and nudge.

<7Ds> Lucky Shot

Comment

I CO very infrequently: there are guys that are much better at it than I am. However, I will step into the chair if there is noone on the server who is willing.

That said, Napalm has a point, you can't micro manage the squads. Most COs try to do that, with varying levels of success. I have no success with that.

But then, there is such a thing as dooing too little. Saying "I need someone to take the flags on the beach (OMAN)" is worthless as an order.

What you can do, however, is come up with an overall strategy, and to be very proactive with the support and intel. And try to pull the air support into an actual supproting role, instead of dogfighting.

Comment

What Tempus said is probably the best balance. Give the squad an objective and let the SL determine their best way to achieve it.

The extremes are both a mistake, IMHO. Not giving orders, as you said you prefer, and letting the squads do what they think best doesn't actually HELP them. What it leads to is 2 things:
          1. Squads are not working in a concerted way
          2. Squad Leaders have to spend too much time looking at the big picture to develop strategy instead of focusing their attention on their objective

The other extreme, micro-management - for instance giving move waypoints to a squad to direct their approach to an objective - is often a mistake just because as CO you don't have detailed enough information to be able to make good judgements on that stuff.

Originally posted by TG_Mateo
          And try to pull the air support into an actual supproting role, instead of dogfighting.
          What you're saying is VERY true. But. Hehe. You say "instead of dogfighting" as if a CO has the option of pulling Fixed-wing squads out of a dogfight. I won't hijack the thread on this, but will just point out that if the jets are in a dogfight, there are no other options, and in fact, the CO doesn't want them doing anything else anyway, cuz the best thing they can do at that moment is win the dogfight.
          Overall, you're right tho - the job of the jets is ultimately to support, in some way, the ground forces' objectives.
          "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
          - Lazarus Long

Comment

reguarding the letting the squads make there own orders, i ussually micro-manage, put squads into areas and tell them to defend, if they see they can take another objective then go ahead, just let me know so i can move around some squads. Bommando has played under me and knows that.
            if the SL wants to move out and change postions i usually rotate them out of there postition so they can get some action. the SL's and squades know whats going on better then what i do as the CO in a hole.

you do what you think is best and let your SL's know before you get going. another thing if someone has tryied to munity against you cuase of it, talk to the admins on duty on TS
            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
            -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks for the input.. And I do give orders but it gets frustrating because you give them.. people dont do them.. for whatever reason.. but then complain if you dont give orders.. or complain if you do.. i guess i just have not found that happy happy medium yet. It is also really difficult when you have 9 squads and a lot of them have one or two people in them. I dont want to send them into somewhere that they will just die.. and no one ever wants to defend..

Tropper.. you commented that if the SL wanted to move then you rotate them.. does the SL actually issue the order or do they just run off and leave you guessing where they are going.. i think that is where i get frustrated.. when they change thier orders but dont actually change it on the orders screen.

Comment

i generally will single out a squad and ask them how it looks if its going great and quite ill send them to a hot spot and help with taking the CP then the squad that was there defending will take over the other squad CP to get a break.....just simple stuff like that

letting them know they have some control on what goes on cuase they know better then i do whats going on and who needs what....
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

Thanks Trooper.. im not use to using VOIP as much when i command (which was a huge suprise playing on the TG server where everyone thought we had no commander cause i wasnt talking) is there a way to just talk to one squad or SL? i know there are voice boxes next to the squad numbers.. i assumed those just make it so you dont hear that squad.. anyone know the answer?

Comment

I haven't played squad leader on a TG server yet, but on the public servers it will depend on the map size and player count. Yesterday I was leading a squad of 4 (out of 16) on the 32 player version of the Oilfields. With so few players if we sat and played D then we would lose the rest of the flags, so we had to keep moving.

On a more balanced server, I will stay at a newly taken flag long enough to let any dead squad members respawn and defend against anyone who started heading our way when the flag went gray. After that it depends on the map. If we have the requisite number of flags for ticket bleed, then I'm inclined to stick around and defend, otherwise it's off to the next flag.

This of course is all assuming my CO doesn't issue any orders. Those will always come first. The only time I've deviated is if a flag goes gray and we're really close, then I'll take a detour and see if it's just some loner taking it or an organized assault. In the first case I take the flag back, in the second, I spot everything and wait for backup or move on if it's something my squad can't handle.

As far as the active vs. passive CO. I think all COs start out at one extreme or the other. They are probably too bossy, or dead silent. You work your way to the happy middle where you use your bird's-eye view to keep your squads supplied with intel and let them use their own initiative unless you see something better. On the other hand if you're a good strategist and have SLs that will work with you, try some more elaborate manuvers. But I tend to find simple is better.

Comment

Yeah you can mute certain squads, I generally don't full with it. The best thing as a CO is to let the troops know they are not alone and what the other squads are doing.

Az
                      [age-c1][command]

Comment

Also you can talk to specific squads by selecting them and using "B" instead of "V". I wish some of our louder more talkative commanders would use this more often. It can be hard trying to hear my squad while the commander is talking to some other squad entirely.

Comment

Thanks Phelan.. thats what i was trying to find out..I know what you mean about too much talking on channels.. this will definatly help.

BTW.. AWESOME name.. didnt know anyone else was into that still.. thought i was the last mechwarrior holdout..i still have my CCG cards and most of the comp games.

Comment

I think the SL job is to find a safe and quick route to an objective. if they have taken over the objective, request new orders as a SL if dont recieve new orders or the commander says he's under attack or something, ill issue new orders as i see fit. if i think there's a chance that my objective will get attacked, ill send 3 of my troops (if i have a 6 person squad) to advance to a new objective. or in the case of the oilfields, my squad was defending a flag, not recieving much fire, so i sent 4 of my troops to support a squad taking a flag that was close.

all in all, i believe the commander is simply a relayer of information. they say "attack this flag", "you have enemies coming from the east", "defend the flag near you", this is all information and its my job to interprut it correctly for the benefits of my squad but not the disadvantage of the team.

Comment

What is the B key default? I've already changed around almost every one of my controls.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X