Driver's Manual

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's Manual

everyone post your driving tips here (fast driving, not ARMOR).

1) Oversteer, there is a slight amount of oversteer provided by the "lightweight" driving/suspension physics in BF2. Here's how to compensate for oversteer. A) Just before a turn, steer out in the opposite direction to minimize your cornering apex. B) quickly turn back into the original turn, as your rear tires break field (your original heading) let off the gas briefly for WIDE TURNS and let off the gas and tap your breaks (down arrow, S) for HAIRPIN TURNS. C) Let off the wheel and accelerate, allowing gravity (understeer) to straighten the buggy/jeep. D) Practice. Oversteer forces you inside the apex of the turn, which will cause you to lose speed and too much understeer will swing you out wide. You want to avoid oversteer (B) and nurse understeer (C) just long enough to minimize speed loss *and* roll straight out of the apex.

2) Drift, there is a slight drift-model for fast vehicles in BF* games. This has not changed in BF2. Drift is post-oversteer, it means your back wheels have lost grab of the surface and are drifting laterally in the direction of your field (original heading). You can break (opposite of tip #1) oversteer and force a drift by doing the following: A1) Letting go of the gas *before* the turn followed by a sharp turn followed immediately by full bore gas. *Or* A2) Holding the gas; turn sharply and immediately press both gas and break (requires practice) only to feather the gas through the oversteer to force the rear end to drift. Both are useful depending on the terrain, corner, and/or elevation change.

These manuevers require a great deal of speed:

3) T-Turn, this is a 4-wheel powerslide when you want to whip your forward firing arc 90 degrees and come to a complete stop. Start tip #1 for a no-oversteer hairpin turn and instead of tapping the breaks, let off the gas and slam the breaks--never letting off the wheel. Time the release of the gas with the slamming of the breaks to nail a perfect 90 degree turn. The shape will be a "T", meaning you can T-turn right or left. Hopefully your gunner is worth a damn. ;)

4) Bootlegger's Reverse, this is a modified T-turn to 180. A) steer opposite of the pre-decided BR direction (like the beginning of tip #1) and immediately begin a T-turn off your new field, imagine two T-turns, the first based off your initial field and the second a rotated T-turn, in the opposite direction that ends with you now fielding your previous aft. B) Force drift using tip #2 but instead of holding the gas, feather the gas as you swing around and immediately after turning 180 degrees begin feathering reverse (down, S)--do not slam reverse or the breaking motion will swing you too wide. You want to feather reverse just long enough to slow to a near stop, practice until you get a perfect 180. C) *Now* slam reverse, driving backwards but faithful to the original field, allowing your gunner to cover the previous aft.

bootlegger image without the "reverse"
    http://www.leacock.com/locust/loop/art/bootlegger.gif

Re: Driver's Manual

Whew!
    And I thought flying jets was complicated.... :row__740:

btw ... is leacock.com your site?
    "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
    - Lazarus Long

Comment

1: Don't hit trees.

2: Water is bad.

3: You cannot jump blown bridges. Seriously.

4: The little round black canisters you see on the ground occasionaly are not Pac-Man pills to be gobbled up.

About all I got. :)
      Never lock the dogs when the wolf is in the darkness.
      [age-c1][conduct]

Comment

leacock.com is not my site. but giving the leacock's a plug couldnt hurt.
        Last edited by walrus; 08-05-2005, 10:11 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ragged]1:

well u can

ive done it -dont remember what bridge- with the dune buggy.

Must admit though i probably had a bit of luck :).

But if u have no other choice and are in a fast vehicle, go for it!

I'd recommend driving on the edge of the gap, thts how i did it.

Comment

[QUOTE=BigGaayAl]
            Originally posted by Ragged
            1:

well u can

ive done it -dont remember what bridge- with the dune buggy.

Must admit though i probably had a bit of luck :).

But if u have no other choice and are in a fast vehicle, go for it!

I'd recommend driving on the edge of the gap, thts how i did it.
            haha awesome. I've just been in so many buggies where people try that and we end up in the drink I thought it must be impossible. Gonna have to give it another go though. :)
            Never lock the dogs when the wolf is in the darkness.
            [age-c1][conduct]

Comment

The only bridges I've seen jumped sucessfully were the small plank ones you find in some maps. They have a small lip at either edge and if you're going full bore when you hit it, you get air. Sometimes enough to get over, sometimes not.

Comment

looks like some of us have a "need for speed" :) nice tips walrus...

I have only one simple technique for taking curves, I steer before I actually get into the curve (I am sure there was a much better/technical way to put this...)

Comment

Driving is more then just pressing forward, which has saved my ass a lot of times.
                  I once was on Songhua on the most western outpost (the one on the high hill) and I was being followed by another car. (He didn't shoot or anything...he was just ramming me)
                  I then made a sharp turn towards the side of the hill and immediatly hit the brakes, he turned too but did not brake and flew of the hill and crashed :D

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
                  BF2142 Names:
                  Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
                  Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
                  Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
                  Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

3rd person view, allways.

Comment

3rd person view, allways.
                      I drive in 1st person about 1/2 the time now, it's easier to turn, and I like being able to look left and right. It helps me to avoid things and hit enemies usually.

Comment

When I started out I used 3rd person view a lot simply out of fear of reversing over teammates. However, minimap is a better way to check for that. 1st person view gives you a much better view of the area as you're driving. You really need to be able to see the sky and track AH's as they pass you to make sure they aren't paying any attention to you.
                        --

Comment

I always use 1st person for everything in this game, it just breaks the imersion too much not too. I just don't want to hop in a buggy in the middle of a "war" and have it feel like GTA. (No offense to GTA, those are great games.) ;P
                          Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                          [age-c1]
                          [eng][air]

Comment

Originally posted by Lagomorph
                            I always use 1st person for everything in this game, it just breaks the imersion too much not too. I just don't want to hop in a buggy in the middle of a "war" and have it feel like GTA. (No offense to GTA, those are great games.) ;P
                            wow, exactly how I feel Lago !

Comment

Originally posted by Ragged
                              False! I've done it :) The wooden bridge near the island base in [I think it's] dragon valley.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X