AT player tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT player tips?

First post here from a long time (read: old! LOL!) gamer.

I've read a lot of tips for most classes, such as engineers, SF, Assault, but not much for the AT soldier. That's my current role of choice: any tips and tricks to increase the effectiviness of the AT class pounder?

Re: AT player tips?

If ya see a tank, get behind a house or other structure. Pop up to the left and quickly take a shot, then back behind the house. Next pop up on the right side and take a quick shot. Repeat till its dead.

If your defending a base where you know where the armor will come through, try to hide so that you will see it when it comes in, but it wont see you. Then aim for the back (which is the most vulnerable point right?).

When your in scope and aiming for a tank pretty far away and its moving, keep the crosshair on the tank and when the rocket is close swing the rocket in the direction of the tank quickly. Theres prolly a lot of techniques for long range rockets like this but thats just what i do.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
      When your in scope and aiming for a tank pretty far away and its moving, keep the crosshair on the tank and when the rocket is close swing the rocket in the direction of the tank quickly.
      He means "off". That's because just LOOKING at a vehicle with your AT equipped gives him a lock tone. Don't give him advance warning by pointing your gun at him.
      "You live and learn. Or you don't live long."
      - Lazarus Long

Comment

Ah, didn't know that about the warning tone. That's not in the manual - where in the heck are all the details the manual leaves out?

Comment

also try to take the high ground. the only point a tank is weaker than in the back, is on the top of the turret. also this prevents the armor from fighting back and requires some coordination between the tank and his infantry to take you out. a good example of this is the roof tops on the middle cap point in oman. getting on any of those buildings while making you open, gives you the advantage (hotel roof, etc)

also, the smoke from the rockets is like a beacon of death for you. if any infantry sees that expect to be heavily flanked.
          |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Try to take out a tank from a distance, the missile is homing for a reason
            If the tank is far away, you can make it close in, go to the side and then into the tank, slamming it in the side does more damage
            The front part of the tracks are a definite weak spots, 1 TOW or 2 AT's directly in there will kill a tank!

BF2 Name: Thez(NL)
            BF2142 Names:
            Thierry(NL) (Sniper)
            Dikkiedik(NL) (Assault)
            Kittekat(NL) (Engineer)
            Dimi(NL) (Support)

Comment

I believe the Prima guide says to fire the rocket at an upward angle and then target the top of the tank, as this will allow for a downward strike onto the top of the turret, which is the weakest part of the tank.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Thierry
                Try to take out a tank from a distance, the missile is homing for a reason
                If the tank is far away, you can make it close in, go to the side and then into the tank, slamming it in the side does more damage
                The front part of the tracks are a definite weak spots, 1 TOW or 2 AT's directly in there will kill a tank!
                its not 'homing' its tracking ;P and the longer away you are, the more chance it has to move laterally into cover. also, unless you only pull the rocket into target at the last second, the tank will have a long time to hear the warning buzzer. this will allow it to pop smoke and bug. ALSO, he has longer to see the rocket incoming, and if he kills you while its mid flight, the rocket falls to the ground. i haven't hit anything with the rocket once i've died, so im not sure if it just duds, or if it falls to the ground fast

sorry, i also have to defunct the TOW myth. a TOW will bring a tank down to a burning death no matter where it hits. this goes for the front as well.
                |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

yeah as far as dieing while your rocket is going off, i dont get that, does it just evaporate? because ill be RIGHT on target, with my rocket not oto far away get killed and i get no hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus
                    I believe the Prima guide says to fire the rocket at an upward angle and then target the top of the tank, as this will allow for a downward strike onto the top of the turret, which is the weakest part of the tank.
                    That's the second time I've heard this tactic. I just read April's issue of CGW and the developer that was interviewed mentioned this.

In my testing, the treads at the front or back are the weakest. A healthy tank will explode on the second hit at these points. The top of the turret and back body are still two hits but it won't explode right away.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Originally posted by Lagomorph
                      For those unaware, I'd just like to point out that you can take down a tank with just two shots. Granted the placement has to be very nice, but I have been able to pull this off a reasonable number of times. (The problem is usually that I don't have someone else to coordinate with so the reload time is deadly)

Weakest tank point: Directly on the flat of the treads.
                      I was actually aware of this since the demo but hadn't bothered to say anything because I wanted to find out whether it was actually feasible to hit these points in real combat.

So if you have 2 really good AT guys in squad you can instantly take down a tank, even from the front.
                      From an old thread about Tank/Anti-Tank tactics and info.
                      http://www.tacticalgamer.com/showthread.php?t=56046

Maybe try using the search function in the future to reduce redundant threads. (In this case I think you're ok though, since you wanted a thread about the AT class in particular and not just about killing/using tanks in general.) :)

*edit*
                      I'll note that I've been getting better at hitting the treads and can generally manage about a 30-40% hit ratio from any range which goes up to about 70-80% as the tank gets closer. While the damage over time is probably about the same if not lower than just letting off many shots rapidly, it does have the advantage of leaving you exposed less often. I have however, been unable to get someone else to coordinate their shot with me for an "instant" kill. Maybe folks in dedicated squads can work on this. (42nd? hint, hint, nudge, nudge.)

One final point - The TOW is *not* a one hit kill anywhere on a tank. (Perhaps the hit detection screwed up and registered as one of the weaker points, or perhaps it was already damaged.)
                      Combat is very simple, there is a first place and a second place. Second place is laying face down in the mud...sometimes, so is first place.
                      [age-c1]
                      [eng][air]

Comment

My experience with the TOW is one hit for APC's. With tanks, I think you can get a kill if you hit the weaker spots like the treads, back and top. The front body would require two hits.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Don't hang out with other AT guys, spread out, ideally you want to be on opposite sides of the target. Also when there is a tank it the area medics should be giving as much attention as possible to the AT guys.
                          --

Comment

It is possible to whip the less experienced tankers up into a frenzy by pointed your eryx at em for prolonged periods of time, wait for them to expose their weak spot and blast away!

AKA TG Xink | http://www.andy-hook.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Riki_Rude_BTYC
                              yeah as far as dieing while your rocket is going off, i dont get that, does it just evaporate? because ill be RIGHT on target, with my rocket not oto far away get killed and i get no hit.
                              no it tracks the cross hairs of your guidence unit which are extremely unlikley to be on the tank if your face down.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X