helicopter flying tips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• helicopter flying tips?

ca you guys post some helicopter flying tips? like landing and how to fly deffensivly, etc....

Re: helicopter flying tips?

I'm not the best pilot but I will share what I have learned.

At first try not to over correct, use slight movements to adjust your flight path. This gets harder to do when under fire so practice on an empty server.

Don't run at full throttle all the time try feathering the collective to achieve the desired move.

You don't have to hover before landing, the game is pretty forgiving, you can pretty much skid onto the heli pad for repairs if necessary.

I find using a twist joystick for rudder helps, using rudder instead of roll will help you get around until you are more comfortable flying.

[age-c1] [conduct]
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

if i plug in a joy stick... can u play normally when shooting and stuf... and when i get into a helicopter or something i use the joystick?

Comment

Then you suggesting using a joystick versus the keyboard? I am having a difficult time using the keyboard.

Comment

Originally posted by adonis
          if i plug in a joy stick... can u play normally when shooting and stuf... and when i get into a helicopter or something i use the joystick?
          Yeah you can use the mouse and keyboard to run around like a loon until you hop into a chopper and you pick up your joystick and use that. If you go to 'options/controls' you'll see that infantry/vehicle/air can all have different keymappings.

Comment

Originally posted by opensore
            Then you suggesting using a joystick versus the keyboard? I am having a difficult time using the keyboard.
            Apparently a joystck is easier for flying. My joystick doesn't work for some reason though.

Comment

so how do i land a helicopter "proffesionally"?

Comment

This is my preferred technique. There are also techniques of making an initial pass over the target and then spinning in onto the target, but I like to keep it simple and fast.

Bring the helicopter in on a gentle 45 degree glideslope. Which means approach the flag while dropping the altitude at about the same rate of your forward momentum, but aim for just beyond your final destination ~ 5 feet.
                Then when you are about 15 feet up and 10 feet from your desired landing spot flare the copter (nose up some) while also slightly decreasing the collective (drop the lifting power).
                Once your forward moment has stalled push the nose back down to level and use the collective as needed to make a soft landing.

All it takes is a little practice to get used to the amount of speed, flare and collective needed to make a nice landing.

Comment

Once you get good at basic turning and landing, start some more complex manuevers. It's important to learn how to turn aroun fast. The best way to do it is to roll the nose nearly horizontal and then pull the nose down until pointing in the desired direction, then roll back to an upright position.

Circle strafing is done very similarly except you don't pull the trun fast and you put a little rudder towards the indie of your turn. (If that doesn't work then I just can't explain it well right now. I did it last night on Daqing and my gunner was flabbergasted.)

Start fly blackhawks as they are a little more forgiving to overcompensation, and we all overcompensate when we start out.

I fly by keyboard/mouse. The mouse sensitivety is turned up to 10 but do whatever seems to work best for you.

You actually shoudln't ever land for repairs, just hover the chopper over the pad, this way if some jet does a flyby you can maneuver away from the missles. Not to say that you shouldn't practice landing but really thats not very hard at all. Landing jets on the other hand...I did it once...my mother was very proud.

Comment

I think its tremendously easier to use the keyboard/mouse for the helos as you get better control over the pitch and its easier to aim the rockets.

Anywho ive been workin with a cool maneuver to strafe left quickly. First you tip the heli left and keep going left with A. Now you let off A and let the helis momentum take you. Tap A when needed. You can then let it go in a fast circle around a central point or just keep going lateraly. This is useful for a few things:

1) You dont have to be still (being still is generally a death sentence) and your gunner can still get good shots on infantry, prolly not with the TV though.

2) Good for gettin into a good position quickly, rather than going out of your way to come in at a certain point in the right orientation.

3) It looks cool. And thats all that freakin matters.

another flying tip i just thought of is that when your in a helo dogfight, DONT waste all your missiles from a distance. At best 5% of the time you might get one hit. Instead the best place to be is above and behind him a bit, and then take one shot at a time aiming carefully. If the other chopper has a gunner, keep moving left and right so the TV wont get you as easily. Barrel rolls also help at evading the TV missiles, and it usually gets you in a good position to attack the other chopper.

Comment

I'd disagree with barrel rolls putting you in a good position to attack other choppers. Having the high ground is a must in a helo dogfight and barrel rolls cost you around 70 feet in altitude each.

Comment

Yeah you barrel rolls are more like a back flip that ends in a dive.

Comment

i say that you should do a barrel roll if you start out way below. If ya do this, you can get behind him and disorient him giving you time to rise up (youll also be going faster which is a plus). Otherwise your rising up at the same time he is, giving his gunner good shots and you no shots. Its worked for me and thats proof enough :)

Comment

Best tip hands down. Find an empty server and practice, practice, practice.

As for controls, some people like keyboard/mouse, some like joysticks. Find which one works for you and stick with it. I couldn't fly for krap with the keyboard, but got the hang of it pretty quickly with a joystick. YRMV The other reason I like the joystick is I've mapped the hat-switch buttons to the different views so I can quickly see what's going on around me.

At first just learn how to fly around and keep the chopper level. Start out at high altitude as this is more forgiving if you make a mistake. As you get more comfortable, fly lower to the ground.

Next thing, try playing with the collective (throttle) as you do different things to see how it affects the chopper. You'll find you only need full throttle to climb quickly or get somewhere fast, for the most part, 60-75% is much easier to manage.

The main thing is practice, and lots of it. You can read all these great tips on how to do something, but it won't do you anygood if you haven't mastered the basics. Yesterday was the first time I killed an ememy tank with a diving rocket attack. I've tried them before, but I would always endup ramming the tank instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantina_Fly
                              You can read all these great tips on how to do something, but it won't do you anygood if you haven't mastered the basics. Yesterday was the first time I killed an ememy tank with a diving rocket attack. I've tried them before, but I would always endup ramming the tank instead.
                              That's why you have a gunner position (though I understand wanting to learn to use the rockets in general you shouldn't actually have to very much in the game itself), also, don't dive at a steep angle towards things you're trying to rocket, you'll almost always over-shoot them, and if you don't overshoot them then you're basically flying straight down. Come in at a nice -10 to -20 degree angle max, and remember that your rockets don't shoot where your crosshair is, or where your plane/elevator (what is it in a chopper?) indicators are -the horizontal lines that go through your hud- but that your rockets actually shoot right between the crosshair and the horizontal lines.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X