A look at the sniper rifles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A look at the sniper rifles

I've been playing around with the 4 different sniper rifles in this game, and after quite extensive testing, this is my conclusion(And sorry for the crappy english, it's not my native/first language):

M24 (USCM): If you are going for one shot, one kills at long range this is by far the best rifle of the four available. It has the best accuracy of all the rifles and 1 headshot = 1 kill, and with the excellent accuracy it's realy easy to pull off. Draw back compared to the SVD is that it's bolt-action and if u miss/dont kill on the first shot, you've got a loooooooong(it feels like that anyway) 1-1.5second to way untill your next shot.

SVD (MEC): This is my current favourite rifle, mainly because it kills in one hit in the head, it's semi auto (so it doesn't gimp you in close/medium range, as the 2 bolt action ones does) and has decent accuracy. Only drawback is that it's very hard to do the ~250-300m headshot kills with this one compared to the M24. The fact that it has 10 rounds and is semi-auto enables you to pull of stunts as the one i did today(shot both gunners + 2 passengers in a hovering blackhawk, in about 4-5 seconds)

Type 88(PLA/China): This rifles mimics the SVD quite alot, but the accuracy seems way off compared to the SVD. I'm not sure if i like or dislike it yet, at first it seems like a copy of the SVD with a different model - but when you start using it you'll notice there's something different about it.

M95(Unlock): The kit unlock, which imho should be the "ultimate" sniper weapon - which it sadly isnt. For long range kills the M24 is better due to high accuracy, and for shot/medium the SVD/Type 88 are better due to semi auto. The only thing this rifles has over the three others is that it can shoot thru windows/windshield in choppers/vehicles(i think), but no matter how many times i've tried to shoot a hovering chopper pilot... it always misses. If you're playing MEC or PLA(China) this gun gives you an M24-like alternative to the M24, which is good. But as USCM I always go with the M24.

Conclussion: My current favourite is the SVD, it's got decent accuracy and after lots of testing it seems as if it kills in 1 hit in the head, it's semi auto so you're not totaly gimped in close/short-range battles. And it REALY shines on maps such as Karkand(GOD i hate this map) and Mashtuur.

So.. what do u guys think?

Re: A look at the sniper rifles

I prefer the M24 because sometimes I only get one shot at a target and it's not always their head that's exposed. So even if I don't hit them in the head they're that much more likely to be killed if wounded or at least easier to for my team to kill after I can't shoot them. It's also great at taking out other snipers.

My only problem with the SVD is the scope. At the long ranges the V covers the entire body of a prone player which cuts down on the precision. Otherwise I'm fairly certain it will kill any class with a hit to the head and I've also been able to pull of some very long distance kills with it but it's hard to do it consistently because of the scope.

Comment

holding a secret double life that consists of sniping solo on pubbies, i have a very opinionated set on snipers.

the m24 is great for getting kill damage assists. it weakens enemies to a high degree and almost is a worthwhile class for a full squad due to its softening up factor. it has great cross hairs, and great accuracy and can kill all but the fullest of health in one body shot.

the type 88 is my current fav. its accuracy is decent but its bullets hit soft. its greatest draw is it has CROSS-HAIRS THAT DON'T SUCK. it (like all snipers) kill in one headshot, and its x-hairs allow you to aim small and shoot big (patriot quote + 1). its semi auto and all that jazz meaning ea nerfs it to weakness, but 3-4 shots kills assuming your not patient enough for the melon shot.

the svd... good lord... i avoid this gun at all times. i mean... im sure its great... but its crosshairs! my GOD, why did EA think that was a good idea? i know they take finesse, but its so hard calculating bullet drop with them. maybe i just have had too many bad times, but jeeze... i would rather go handgun!

and man, here we are at the m95. a gun that should be a god among snipers. nerfed down to a m24 with thick, bulky, range inhibiting crosshairs. it may give you a decent benefit of material penetration like... cockpits and wooden boards, but its imo not worth it unless your camping a airfield... from the carrier superstructure.

in the end, its ALL about the crosshairs :D
      |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

i prefer the M24 MUCH more then any of the other sniper rifles. Even if you dont get a headshot, i believe if you get the torso (which is probably what youll hit if you miss the head) it gets them to 2 bars of health. You can either just take another shot or whip out your pistol and snipe him once with the pistol for the last 2 bars. Its accurate, its very powerful, and the crosshair is perfect.

The svd seems innaccurate especcialy compared to the M24, and its weak because it generally takes 3 torso shots. The crosshair is also horrible.

The type 88 (chinese) is as accurate and weak as the SVD imo. The crosshair however is more precise but i dont think it has as far a zoom. I might be wrong on that though.

It probably comes more down to preference, but thats just my take on it.

Comment

M24 is my rifle of choice. One shot one kill. Line-up the head shot and bang. The bolt action is underrated-its not that long to reload if you play it right. M24 can do some serious damage to attacking squads and can really distract a whole squad if you position yourself right. That squad will waste a ton of time and resources wondering where theyre getting picked off from...

Plus there as some good SL's who know how valuable a USMC sniper can be.
          Long Live the 2nd BCT and 1st MIP

Comment

While, yes the M24 seems at first glance to be the best 1shot-1kill rifle the Type 88/SVD also kills in one hit and if you miss you can pop one shot right back at them again.

Another thing to note is that if you hit something else then the head with the M24/M95, almost all body parts will leave your victim down to 2 bars of health. People start to recognize this as "IM BEING SHOT BY A SNIPER" and hide realy fast. Now if you hit someone with the SVD/Type-88 in the chest for example, 99% of the people i've shot seems to think it comes from the buildings/suroundings on close to them and almost never look for a sniper, as the damage the SVD/Type-88 causes is not as high as the two others and very close to the damage of a AK-47 or AK-101, etc.

Comment

I'm still a newbie, but I play sniper a lot. Imo, the m24 is indeed the best. Accuracy, cross hairs, power, it all adds up.

My second favourite sniper rifle is the m4. :)

Comment

Yeah the M24 is insane, i just did a 25:25 Shots:Kill ratio on Dragon Valley with it. But the M95 due to it's crappy crosshair and the fact that it has lesser accuracy then the M24 make's it.. imho, the worst of all the rifles.

Comment

ok, one last time:

ALL HEAD SHOTS = DEATH FOR ALL SNIPERS!!!

ok, sorry, just had to throw that in there. i agree with the whole damage thing tho thrthr, good call!

anyway, regardless what you have, the biggest drawing point for me as a sniper are the times people WALK OVER YOU due to your camo, or going 15-0 on a pubbie just laying low, killing one and moving back, laying claymores etc. there have been many moments where i wish the server i was on had a battlefield recorded so i could show the world that an at class literally jumped over me because there was a spot of ground he couldn't walk over!!!
                  |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

May favorite is the M24, I feel like I am getting more done when I use it because I get about the same number of kills and a lot more assists than with the SVD or Type 88. However, I am a HUGE Metal Gear fan so I am used to the SVD from Metal Gear Solid 3 so I am very accurate with the SVD as well. I've found that the SVD is better at medium range or when you are sniping from a roof. I don't care for the Type 88 at all.

Comment

I prefer the M24, though the SVD isn't too bad for medium-range sniping. I don't like the crosshairs on the Type 88.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Legato895
                        the biggest drawing point for me as a sniper are the times people WALK OVER YOU due to your camo
                        Play fushe on the 16 player version. Theres a patch of trees in a shadow nearest the chinese main. Once i sniped a guy in that shadowy-forest from 3 feet away and he didnt know what was shooting him, and another time i had a full 6 man squad run right over me. Needless to say i pissed my pantalones, but they didnt see me.

Comment

Originally posted by TG_Santa
                          Play fushe on the 16 player version. Theres a patch of trees in a shadow nearest the chinese main. Once i sniped a guy in that shadowy-forest from 3 feet away and he didnt know what was shooting him, and another time i had a full 6 man squad run right over me. Needless to say i pissed my pantalones, but they didnt see me.
                          yeah, whats that dark-ish chinese level with the 4 oil drums in the middle? not only do the patches of trees help you immensely, but when its 32 v 32, and your in the middle of a huge battle laying prone, hoping you aren't killed via minivan... its just spectacular. somehow i feel your gillie (sp) suit is better camouflaged in that map than on others.
                          |TG-Irr|Legato

Comment

Originally posted by Legato895
                            yeah, whats that dark-ish chinese level with the 4 oil drums in the middle? not only do the patches of trees help you immensely, but when its 32 v 32, and your in the middle of a huge battle laying prone, hoping you aren't killed via minivan... its just spectacular. somehow i feel your gillie (sp) suit is better camouflaged in that map than on others.
                            Daqing Oilfields
                            |TG| aschmack

Comment

Sniper is my least played class by far, the play style is just so different from my preferred Assault role. Snipers don't cap flags it would seem. They sit on a hill over the flag spotting out bound vehicles and picking off lone infantry (probably the only class with a legit claim when accused of spawn camping.) It really is a patient, thinking mans' class. I have only used the M24 and the Type88, but found them fairly equal. The M24 was better for one shot kills most of the time (a suprising number of people will run around with less than full health rather than call for a medic.) The Type88 was better when I had to move with a squad though, because I could quickly sqeeze off shots in a firefight. I used the SVD once in the demo and never again.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X