Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Innovative Strategies for Using Transport Helos (not incl. aerial flag capping)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Innovative Strategies for Using Transport Helos (not incl. aerial flag capping)

Heya guys,
    Last night I was playing on an Aussie pubbie (yeah, I know, pubbies suck most of the time) and ended up in a squad which was operating with a blackhawk most of the time.
    The map was Mashtuur City, and our squad leader had taken the helo up as high as possible, and was hovering over certain desirable CPs that he wanted us to attack.

As we spawned, we would, depending on our class, drop med packs, ammo packs and c4 downwards, before initiating a HALO jump downwards. We deployed extremely fast, and would be on the ground within 20 seconds of dying. This method, coupled with the unpredictable nature of the parachutes, allowed us to hit defenders and attackers on the flanks and rear, causing chaos. GLs also proved extremely effective.

At the height of our teamwork, we would prep for an incursion by:
    1. Dropping med and ammo packs.
    2. Dropping c4, and then detonating it to clear the area.
    3. HALO jump, spotting targets while in freefall
    4. Flag cap
    5. Securing perimeter
    6. Brief defense
    7. Once dead, stay in helo as it moves to new position behind the attackers
    8. Hit attackers from rear

Any insights on the possible flaws of this tactic?

[conduct][volun][drill][sg-c1][tpf-c1]
    |TG-2nd|munchkin
    Nec aspera terrent.

Re: Innovative Strategies for Using Transport Helos (not incl. aerial flag capping)

An enemy expecting it could counter it by hiding and attakcing when you are on the ground, and calling to the commander to ask for a jet to shoot down the helo.

But hey, no tactic is perfect, and it's pretty good, if not 100% original. How often did you fail, eg die and re-spawn rather than take the flag?

Comment

Re: Innovative Strategies for Using Transport Helos (not incl. aerial flag capping)

Originally posted by Samoth
      An enemy expecting it could counter it by hiding and attakcing when you are on the ground, and calling to the commander to ask for a jet to shoot down the helo.

But hey, no tactic is perfect, and it's pretty good, if not 100% original. How often did you fail, eg die and re-spawn rather than take the flag?
      The jet counter wouldn't work on Mastuur. The helo could perform a recon flyby or the commander could tell the squad the level of resistance at the flag. Hiding would work but defenders should stay spread out anyway. If the jumpers are good at HALO jumping, they'll be on the ground fast.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I see, quite right. Best chance to down the chopper then if it "hovers" would seem to be to call in an arty strike on it's position by a scan, and hope for a lucky hit.

And damn, that aint great.

How about placing claymores and c4 all around the flag drop zone? They'd be annihilated as they come down.

Comment

nice tactic :) I'd like to give it a shot sometime

I guess success rate can be increased dramatically if the chopper pilot (SL) works on the timing of attack. He should check the map and when friendly forces are in vicinity of the enemy flag, he should give the go. enemy will be quite busy working against airborne and ground troops ;)

Comment

I like this tactic. I think it is underused and has multiple advantages as you already listed. It can also allow you to get on top of buildings that are otherwise unreachable. I think the best way to counter it would be to get your own helo and shoot it down (unless, of course, you have jets available as you would on most of the other maps).

Comment

This must be some something like EA intended transports to work. Supporting groundforces with ammo/medpacs, dropping paratroopers and provide surpressing fire. If the 1.03 patch deletes the option of capping flags verticaly then this tactic will be a lot more common than today.
              "That is not an ordinary rabbit ... 'tis the most foul cruel and bad-tempered thing you ever set eyes on ... that rabbit's got a vicious streak. It's a killer"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X