Assault maps, whats the point?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault maps, whats the point?

In case you don't know, assault maps can be won if the defenders hold all the cp's for a long time, and if the attackers conquer all cp's. Lastly both teams can win by bringing the tickets of the opponent down to zero. Examples: Karkand, Sharqui Peninsula.
    Here's my complaint: since conquering all cp's is extremely rare (read: impossible), and holding all bases to bleed the enemy is extremely hard (read: impossible) these are basicly team-deathmatch maps. I think that's insane. What tactics should you use to win a deathmatch war? Attacking is out of the question, since you will lose more tickets than the defenders, besides you don't need those cp's anyway. So ideally, both teams would defend, and let the artillery do the work until the opposing teams tickets reach zero.
    Both teams would then hide in a building to be as safe as possible from artillery. Gameplay quickly becomes frustrating once you know you're fighting for no reason. (Or is there some kind of hidden meaning put in to these maps :))

Thoughts?
    Hear ye, of the dragon, Smoke is his name.
    Solely surviving the fires,
    and sad and angry he became.
    Until his angre became dismay,
    as the elders sent him away.

Now we can hear his wings, once a year,
    And, his empty cry we fear.
    Sad old Smoke, out there in the rain,
    We can feel your suffering, we can feel your pain.

Re: Assault maps, whats the point?

Ironically, Karkand is the favourite and it usually is all about killing. The other night USMC had taken almost all of the flags but the commander decided to hold back for the kills. We won but, as usual, it was all about the kills.

The defending team should basically defend. They let the other team make the moves and make the mistakes. If they defend well, they can keep the offensive team to a flag or two. They just have to contain the offensive team. Unfortunately, the defenders are all about the kills, kills, kills. I had an SL once on Cleansweep put us in a position to essentially spawn camp an enemy flag. There was no other way to win. If we defended, we'd never make up the ticket deficit. So we had to quickly get as many kills as possible.

The offensive team will have to play it smart. They usually start with a few more tickets than the defensive team. They have to pick up enough attack points to not get cornered and start battles to get the upper hand in kills. It's pretty much the same because it's kills, kills, kills. However, the offensive team gets the option of snubbing out all enemies and capturing all flags. It's risky but it puts the moves in the offensive team's hands.

- It's who you game with.

Comment

Yeah, I don't very much like the ideas behind assault maps because they are just deathmatches. It should remain "if you control half you can bleed them."
      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

There are several maps that require ALL CPs to cause ticket bleed. We had those maps set to the 32 player version to cut down on the CPs. Then the next release of the admin tool caused some problems doing this so we reverted back.

Our plan is to offer some 32 player version maps.
        |TG-12th| asch
        sigpic

Comment

On Karkand that's not a good idea. I have played that the 32 player version with 64 players and the balance goes way in favour of the defenders. Of 20 games Mec won 19.
          Hear ye, of the dragon, Smoke is his name.
          Solely surviving the fires,
          and sad and angry he became.
          Until his angre became dismay,
          as the elders sent him away.

Now we can hear his wings, once a year,
          And, his empty cry we fear.
          Sad old Smoke, out there in the rain,
          We can feel your suffering, we can feel your pain.

Comment

Originally posted by powersmoker
            On Karkand that's not a good idea. I have played that the 32 player version with 64 players and the balance goes way in favour of the defenders. Of 20 games Mec won 19.
            That's definitely a change from before. It used to be USMC getting most of the wins. Players are beginning to understand how to play as MEC on Karkand. I see your point about how both teams would go on the defensive. A lot of players like Karkand because that usually happens when the teams have take sides and the front line is the bridge. Then, kills, kills, kills!

- It's who you game with.

Comment

I find that assault maps can encourage the best of squad based combat and teamwork out of any other map. And overall teamwork too. You don't have idiots running around trying to capture flags that are alone etc. You have squads forming up creating formations etc. And each individual's abilities are important. An insane medic who will revive fast with little disregard for heights and danger *whistles* is just as important as a support member laying down suppressive fire or an engineer who is pulling out the close support with his shotgun
              [age-c1] [gchq-c1] [air2] [tog-c1][tpf-c1]
              [tg-c1]<victory

Comment

it is important which flags you take though. For instance, on sharqi as a commander its best to trap an enemies flag between 2, 3, or even 4 of your own flags. If you attack youll actually kill more then the defenders will kill you because theyll be attacked on all sides and will be gettin pounded by arty.

Also good idea to get flags that are easily defensable, but to NOT attack flags that are easily defensable if theres too many defenders. Too many commanders imo try to take the american main, when 2 squads can rack up kills defending and just drop tickets to nothing. A well led squad there can defend against 3 squads, so i dont see the point in wasting a billion tickets taking it.

Comment

Originally posted by powersmoker
                  On Karkand that's not a good idea.
                  Karkand wouldn't be one of them. We had three maps that seemed to cause problems due to size. Not all maps would be affected.
                  |TG-12th| asch
                  sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...