Split or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split or not?

I really struggled with this earlier tonight. At one point in the match, the US had 2 of the back 4 bases and were pinching us in the middle. Bravo Squad held the Refueling station and then I hear a request from the CO to send half my squad off to the bridge base to capture it. The bridge was out, there were no vehicles handy, so by the time the 3 guys trooped over there, a US squad would roll in with armor and greater numbers. We split like that 3 different times, and I had no luck with it. We lost cohesiveness within the squad as well as flags and lives.

Ultimately, its our job to execute on the orders of the CO, but I am trying to find out some best practices around it. So when your in this situation, do you go to the flag as Squad Leader or do you stay behind? Do you split the team evenly, or do you go offensive (4) or defensive (2)? I know it's a risk you take when you split, and it can have a huge payoff if it works out, I am curious to hear best practices or what your opinions are on success rates, etc...

Thanks,

Lucky Shot

Re: Split or not?

I've been planning on splitting my squad into *2* seperate fire teams! Alpha and Bravo. I will lead Alpha, and assign a second *sub* SL for Bravo. Each fire team will have *3* soldiers with *1* medic and *1* support kit each, acting as an assault/support squad. As squad leader I will assign Bravo orders to directly support our movements, while the CO directs the squads' movement as a whole. I have yet to implement this, but I plan to...

I *don't* however support splitting your squad in half, so that one half can move onto another objective! It defeats the purpose of the squad, and leaves those soldiers who have split off without support! I have relunctantly done so in the past, on orders from the CO, but I do so only with conviction...

Comment

Splitting can be effective if the mission can be completed quickly. For example if you are defending a point and a nearby flag starts to fall, then it can be okay (not always) to send a few extra guys over to help, as long as it won't take them too long to get there.

Additionally a couple guys in a buggy splitting off can provide good intel, or quickly cap an undefended flag.

If the CO wants 3 guys from the squad to perform a completely different mission, however, he is better off re-organising the squads. I have had this done to me before where the CO asked for 3 of my team to split off and act as Spec Ops.

Comment

Generally if I find a squad is doing an exceptional job and doesn't mind it to greatly, I will have them defend two close CPs. I find that they can generally hold off a light assault, and if it gets heavy and dangerous they can hold it til I get another squad there to assist.

Az
        [age-c1][command]

Comment

Splitting a squad into fire teams has it's place. If the CO is requesting it, make your best attempt and following the orders. If it's failing, communicate that to the CO. Let the CO that you're under assault and need your full squad. I would hope the CO would understand this and change his strategy / orders a bit.

Communication is a two-way street. The CO needs the intel from his SLs to help him make decisions.
          |TG-12th| asch
          sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...